• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pence variants in the UK market

7 posts in this topic

Hi.

So if I understand correctly, pence variants (or whatever they're referred to as) are less desirable, and attract lower prices, to US collectors. I think I saw a very ball-park figure somewhee of typical prices for pence variants being two-thirds or so of their regular equivalents when sold within the US.

However, my question (as I'm based in the UK) is whether this holds true in the UK market? Referring to online price guides, these refer to regular cent prices. I guess what I'm asking is how (as a UK-based collector) pence and cent copies are valued, desired and priced within the UK. Although I could refer to recent ebay sold listings, this only paints part of the picture. 

Many thanks :)

Sad but true, I'm afraid. Even here in Penceland they're very much frowned upon.

Having said that I and several others have noticed a general lift in prices for key issues, especially high grade keys. They're so rare in comparison to cents copies.

On the bright side, it's cheaper to build a decent collection!

:)

Search the census to compare numbers. Then check out more of the pence related threads. Informative.

1 hour ago, rakehell said:

Sad but true, I'm afraid. Even here in Penceland they're very much frowned upon.

Having said that I and several others have noticed a general lift in prices for key issues, especially high grade keys. They're so rare in comparison to cents copies.

On the bright side, it's cheaper to build a decent collection!

:)

Search the census to compare numbers. Then check out more of the pence related threads. Informative.

That's interesting - thanks for the reply. Why is there a general lack of higher grade copies of pence variants? 

1 hour ago, kasharic said:

Why is there a general lack of higher grade copies of pence variants?

Simply put, Blighty.

We live in a land of mists and gloom. Mostly.

Also, especially in the early days, the comics were shipped as sea cargo. So, more damp.

Have a look at the census for Silver Age keys like Hulk #1, Amazing Fantasy # 15, etc. Anything higher than an 8 is bloody rare.

Actually I disagree with the premise.

In the vast vast majority of cases, a pence UK pence edition will be worth MORE than the US version, anywhere.  The exception would be keys, which make up a tiny fraction of comics, but obviously an outsized share of the market. 

I think most people who would pass entirely on millions of common US edition comics would pay a quarter to a dollar for the UK edition if they saw it in a shop.  This is especially true for pence variants of common comics in high grade.

14 hours ago, revat said:

I think most people who would pass entirely on millions of common US edition comics would pay a quarter to a dollar for the UK edition if they saw it in a shop.  This is especially true for pence variants of common comics in high grade.

Yeah, sure. If you're bottom feeding. This, by the way, is how I get most of my comics.

:banana: