• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book related news and media - What You Do / Don't Watch and Why

21 posts in this topic

It's been almost 15 years since Attack of the Show debuted on the G4 network.  We've seen the rise and fall of a number of other comic book related news shows and/or talk shows (e.g., Talking Dead).  Today, there are a number of YouTube content creators and podcasts that are getting a ton of attention.  The Nerdist news network, Comicbookcast, amd Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman are a couple of the many mainstream shows/outlets.  Underground YouTubers like (Simpleman, Lords of the Longbox, JimComics, ComicTom101, JimComics, Reggie Simmons, Buhler, Unpressable Defects, Comic Corps, Tales from the Flipside, Nerdcore, etc.) are getting more and more popular by the day.  Every week there are more content providers.  In the last 30 days, I'm happy to see Mel V. and Gary Nusser start there own channels on Youtube. 

I am interested in what everyone is watching and/or not watching in the way of comic book related media and why.  Who do you trust?  Who don't you trust and why?  What are you looking for and/or not looking for (e.g., speculation talk, educational information, reviews, etc.)?  What direction do you see this kind of stuff taking into the future?  I appreciate your input.  

If I'm having a slow day at work, or whatever, I usually just use Google News to see what's new on comic books movies in particular (recently I used Google News to see which outlet had the info on when Endgame tickets would go on sale).

On YouTube, sometimes I like to watch reaction+discussion videos. The guys from Hyper RPG that used to be on Superhero News are always interesting to watch, for me. I think they're Hector, Augustine, and I can't remember the 3rd gentleman's name right now (sorry!)...

Honestly, I use these CGC boards for most of my "news" since I haven't been able to visit my local comic shop in a few months. If I can't get the info I'm looking for from Google, DC, Marvel, etc, I'll hit everyone up here for info. There aren't many other/better places.

27 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

I don't watch any comic book related media. I have neither the time nor interest.

You have 16k posts on the CGC boards, I feel like you have enough free time that you could learn astrophysics and build a star ship. lol

47 minutes ago, Nico Esq said:

You have 16k posts on the CGC boards, I feel like you have enough free time that you could learn astrophysics and build a star ship. lol

Well, there you go. If I spent time watching youtube comic shows, I wouldn't be able to linger over the CGC Boards as much. :insane:

39 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Well, there you go. If I spent time watching youtube comic shows, I wouldn't be able to linger over the CGC Boards as much. :insane:

Aha, I've found my opposite! I watch too much YouTube to the point that my post count never increase. 

14 minutes ago, Ssantoss said:

Aha, I've found my opposite! I watch too much YouTube to the point that my post count never increase. 

But are you watching Gary V., Jordan Peterson, Joe Rogan, whomever  OR comic book related media people? :baiting: 

I also didn't ask about the dozen or so Facebook, MeWe, etc. sites, but that is also something I'm interested in hearing people talk about in a thoughtful way.  

56 minutes ago, Nico Esq said:

But are you watching Gary V., Jordan Peterson, Joe Rogan, whomever  OR comic book related media people? :baiting: 

I also didn't ask about the dozen or so Facebook, MeWe, etc. sites, but that is also something I'm interested in hearing people talk about in a thoughtful way.  

Try to keep my youtubing to comic related content, but cats always seem to work their way in. 🤔

16 minutes ago, Nico Esq said:

What do you watch, who have you tried, etc? 

ComicTrips is a favourite, they're on a hiatus now. Reggie is good, Nerdsync have some really interesting episodes, Comictropes, Comicstorian. Working my way through recommendations i've gotten here on the boards.

I just started watching ComicTom101 on Youtube a few months ago and really like it. He had a good video a few days ago on the Rob Liefeld freak out over the first appearance of MajorX, and yesterday I watched an interesting video on what is the true first appearance of Immortal Hulk. Weekly videos on what's hot and speculation.

I used to use a few key podcasts as my go to for comic book news. ComicGeekSpeak, Around Comics  and iFanboy back in the day (starting back in 2007-08) were great, amazing and iconic. Since then some have lost their passion (the CGS guys grew up, got families, and Jamie passed away) and some got so formulaic it was no longer interesting (iFanboy formated into smaller bite segments rather than rollicking discussions). I miss hearing the passionate arguments about what current (and current-ish) comics were good, not good, etc. 

This thread made me go and look, CGS is on episode 1700+. I started listening just after episode 200... they used to do shows(podcasts) 3 days a week for 1-2hrs. They were the first amateur podcast I ever knew of to throw their own comic book convention  and they had hundreds of fans show up. 

Around Comics was great because they had Skottie Young and John Siuntres and Cousin Sal... all with great stories of the industry...