• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your strangest reason a buyer backed out of an Ebay sale?

9 posts in this topic

I thought this was interesting (and kind of funny). A reminder of why Ebay is not that great.

I placed a few books for auction and I had a Daredevil 153 sell for a whopping $3.00. The buyer pays for the book but several minutes later he sends this message....

"sorry seller did you send book yet? I think I don't like it after all the ink job over gene colan ... I thought I wanted it but get back to me-"

o.O This threw me off and initially I thought I missed some ink overspray or something. I examined the book and there is no overspray. Could the buyer be complaining about the art? He couldn't be, right? I know what books I like before I bid on them and I only bid on books I want. Not only did he bid on this book but he also paid for it.

I decided to cancel the order because if he returns it, I'm out postage cost on a $3.00 transaction. It's just not worth it. I told him I canceled the order and this was his response...

"yes I'm very sorry about it its just that I like had a similar problem with Kirby.../ but I got over it with Kirby but this colan I don't like it I tired to force myself distanced myself and then years and years later I look at it and I thought Idd like it but the pens on it are way too restrictive and I don't like it and the Kirby's I actually dug them and wondered what I ws seeing at the times...but gene has to be gene I forgave gene on the epic tomb of Dracula but I pass on this daredevil and I really sorry about it.."

What I took from this was the buyer had a personal struggle with himself, that lasted several years, over liking Gene Colan's artwork on Daredevil. He forces himself to bid on and pay for my Daredevil 153 for $3.00. After more soul searching, he decides to back out of a binding contract for a few dollars because he can't come to terms with himself over the artwork of this one book. doh!

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I canceled the transaction to avoid possible further headaches, but c'mon. This has got to be the strangest reason to cancel an order I've ever heard. (BTW..I told him I would be sharing his message here)

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

1 minute ago, KryptoMayor said:

I placed a few books for auction and I had a Daredevil 153 sell for a whopping $3.00. The buyer pays for the book but several minutes later he sends this message....

"sorry seller did you send book yet? I think I don't like it after all the ink job over gene colan ... I thought I wanted it but get back to me-"

o.O This threw me off and initially I thought I missed some ink overspray or something. I examined the book and there is no overspray. Could the buyer be complaining about the art? He couldn't be, right? I know what books I like before I bid on them and I only bid on books I want. Not only did he bid on this book but he also paid for it.

I decided to cancel the order because if he returns it, I'm out postage cost on a $3.00 transaction. It's just not worth it. I told him I canceled the order and this was his response...

"yes I'm very sorry about it its just that I like had a similar problem with Kirby.../ but I got over it with Kirby but this colan I don't like it I tired to force myself distanced myself and then years and years later I look at it and I thought Idd like it but the pens on it are way too restrictive and I don't like it and the Kirby's I actually dug them and wondered what I ws seeing at the times...but gene has to be gene I forgave gene on the epic tomb of Dracula but I pass on this daredevil and I really sorry about it.."

What I took from this was the buyer had a personal struggle with himself, that lasted several years, over liking Gene Colan's artwork on Daredevil. He forces himself to bid on and pay for my Daredevil 153 for $3.00. After more soul searching, he decides to back out of a binding contract for a few dollars because he can't come to terms with himself over the artwork of this one book. doh!

What in the f^&*?

Idiocracy is alive and well I tell ya...

Smart decision.

I backed out of an three digit eBay sale last year.   I asked the seller if they combined shipping.  They told me that they did.  Great... I bought three items. 

When it came time to combine shipping they took the initial shipping fee ($20 - I know I have the emails but am too lazy to look) and multiplied it by three so now shipping is say $60 for something that would have cost $20 to ship all three items. 

Seriously? 

They combined it for me alright.

I backed out.  They filed a complaint.  I'm still around. 

Edited by Buzzetta

I had a guy last year return a Daredevil vol. 2 #1 because he said he read it and it didn't have Spider-man in it. No lie. He basically paid return shipping just to read the issue, and not find a Spider-man story in Daredevil #1. 

I even looked him up on Facebook because I had to see what this stupid looks like. 

18 hours ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

I had a guy last year return a Daredevil vol. 2 #1 because he said he read it and it didn't have Spider-man in it. No lie. He basically paid return shipping just to read the issue, and not find a Spider-man story in Daredevil #1. 

I even looked him up on Facebook because I had to see what this stupid looks like. 

That’s a good one. Maybe someone should start a comic book rental program. 

I had one today, who made an offer on a bagged 3-pack of Whitmans.  I accepted his offer, and he sent the following note:

Hey how’s it going I was seening if you can cancel this order because it’s something I got similar all ready I didn’t even know I really Apologize for the inconvenience

You can 't make this stuff up.