• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling internationally on eBay... yea or nay?
1 1

75 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

I use ebays global shipping program. Works great. Haven’t had a problem yet. You just ship the item to their warehouse in Kentucky. They take care of it from there. Way bigger market for sales when you include intl. sales 

I was confused by that option. Who pays to ship it from Kentucky to the buyer?

8 minutes ago, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

When a buyer clicks to buy your item eBay shows them the international shipping price. If they agree to price they just buy it. If you’re charging the buyer a shipping cost it’s only to get the item to ebays warehouse in Kentucky.

What about guarantees? Would you feel comfortable doing a big ticket item? I have more than a few I'm getting ready to offer.

17 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I was confused by that option. Who pays to ship it from Kentucky to the buyer?

The buyer pays and they also pay for you to ship it to Kentucky. I don't think that you are really anymore protected than regular sales but I use it anyway for (perhaps delusional) piece of mind. I like it. I had a $275 piece of art go missing in Italy and decided against international sales but then decided to use the gsp and have had no issues with it so far.

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

I just don't understand the mindset of people who refuse to ship outside of the US.

There is an entire world out there.

Sure, it's a bit more work, and you need to do some diligence but the Us only comprises a small percentage of the rest of the world. And yes, I understand the risks, the hassles and everything else. But as in everything there is going to be a learning curve.

I guess it all depends on why you're selling. As a business person, you're just shooting yourself in the foot if you avoid the rest of the world.

You just have to make sure item/s are really well packaged. They are traveling pretty far. 

As someone who constitute as "international" (Sweden to be more precise), I'm always happy when I find a seller willing to ship to me. The GPS however is a killer, extreme fees (often $30+ to ship a single comic), import taxation on items that should be tax exempt and so on. I'm considering signing up for one of those relay services where you get a US adress that consolidate incoming parcels and send them to me. 

1 hour ago, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

I use ebays global shipping program. Works great. Haven’t had a problem yet. You just ship the item to their warehouse in Kentucky. They take care of it from there. Way bigger market for sales when you include intl. sales 

I live in Canada and I won't buy off anyone that uses Global Shipping Program.  This program automatically adds on duty to your purchase - a colossal rip off.  I have no idea on what they base their duty calculation but anytime I've seen amounts they seem exorbitant.

I have no idea whether the item then has duty levied on it when it reaches Canada or not.  Anyone from Canada experienced a double shot of duty?

Edited by pemart1966

3 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

I live in Canada and I won't buy off anyone that uses Global Shipping Program.  This program arbitrarily adds on duty to your purchase - a colossal rip off.

I have no idea whether the item then has duty levied on it when it reaches Canada or not.  Anyone from Canada experiences a double shot of duty?

that is some real duty doody!