• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling internationally on eBay... yea or nay?
1 1

75 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

I just don't understand the mindset of people who refuse to ship outside of the US.

There is an entire world out there.

Sure, it's a bit more work, and you need to do some diligence but the Us only comprises a small percentage of the rest of the world. And yes, I understand the risks, the hassles and everything else. But as in everything there is going to be a learning curve.

I guess it all depends on why you're selling. As a business person, you're just shooting yourself in the foot if you avoid the rest of the world.

I just got a neutral and a negative directly related to the import fees that counties are charging for comic book orders.  I simply printed out the postal print out from E-Bay so it wasn't like I neglected to fill something in properly.  After those issues I'm this close to just not shipping anybody other then Canada (never had an issue with the guys up north).

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

I just got a neutral and a negative directly related to the import fees that counties are charging for comic book orders.  I simply printed out the postal print out from E-Bay so it wasn't like I neglected to fill something in properly.  After those issues I'm this close to just not shipping anybody other then Canada (never had an issue with the guys up north).

And you've never received a negative or a neutral from someone on this side of the pond that is out to lunch?

You can have the negs removed if they are unnecessary, which in this case it was.

Which country was it shipped to?

If it's the UK, all packages to the UK should have the follwing in them (I learned this from a boardie)

"Printed Matter - comic book" and Tariff code "4902900000".

Just now, VintageComics said:

And you've never received a negative or a neutral from someone on this side of the pond that is out to lunch?

You can have the negs removed if they are unnecessary, which in this case it was.

If it's the UK, all packages to the UK should have the follwing in them (I learned this from a boardie)

Both were from UK buyers.  I reported the neutral and e-bay still has not removed it.  I try to remember to add stuff for US buyers but I tend to print out labels as fast as possible and I don't even look where a package is going to.  You would think E-Bay would automatically add that info if it was necessary or demanded by the UK buyers.

3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

If you put those in a package that you ship via the Global Shipping Program, will that still save them the money?

4 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Nope - I got a couple negs from guys who got the wrong book and it took me too long to get it resolved but never for something I had nothing to do with.  Giving me a neutral because your country imposes some import fees seems pretty excessive and I don't have to worry about that stuff when I ship books to the US.

Just now, 1Cool said:

Nope - I got a couple negs from guys who got the wrong book and it took me too long to get it resolved but never for something I had nothing to do with.  Giving me a neutral because your country imposes some import fees seems pretty excessive and I don't have to worry about that stuff when I ship books to the US.

But it's up to you to write the correct info on the form. I don’t even include the tariff code, just "printed matter - comic book”. If you don’t fill out the form that way customs will think it’s a taxable item and impose the fee on the recipient.

4 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

You would think E-Bay would automatically add that info if it was necessary or demanded by the UK buyers.

But they don't, which is why the GSP is complete junk to people who are receiving the books.

Canadians are only supposed to pay a 5% tax for comic books but they get charged through the nose.

UK buyers aren't supposed to pay any, but they often get charged.

GSP is great for sellers, not so great for many buyers.

4 minutes ago, oldrover said:

If you put those in a package that you ship via the Global Shipping Program, will that still save them the money?

I have no idea. I don't use eBay's GSP.

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Nope - I got a couple negs from guys who got the wrong book and it took me too long to get it resolved but never for something I had nothing to do with.

Well, there are nut bars everywhere. Not just outside your own borders. lol

4 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Giving me a neutral because your country imposes some import fees seems pretty excessive and I don't have to worry about that stuff when I ship books to the US.

But you did fail to mark the package properly as you admitted yourself that you print labels as quickly as possible, so in this case it wasn't entirely the buyer's fault.

2 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

But it's up to you to write the correct info on the form. I don’t even include the tariff code, just "printed matter - comic book”. If you don’t fill out the form that way customs will think it’s a taxable item and impose the fee on the recipient.

Yep.

It's up to me to put the correct info on the form?  Now that I think about it I'll just prohibit sales to UK and Europe buyers since they maybe make up 3% of my sales and I'd guess 50% of my biggest problem buyers come from those areas.  I sell a bunch to Canada and Australia with very little issues so I'll keep those guys on the buy list.

2 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

But they don't, which is why the GSP is complete junk to people who are receiving the books.

Canadians are only supposed to pay a 5% tax for comic books but they get charged through the nose.

UK buyers aren't supposed to pay any, but they often get charged.

GSP is great for sellers, not so great for many buyers.

I have no idea. I don't use eBay's GSP.

Well, there are nut bars everywhere. Not just outside your own borders. lol

But you did fail to mark the package properly as you admitted yourself that you print labels as quickly as possible, so in this case it wasn't entirely the buyer's fault.

But how was I to know there needed to be a specific code put down so that the UK buyers don't get charged?  I primarily only sell on E-Bay and I've never gotten that info from E-Bay.  Based on my obligation with E-bay I printed out the form perfectly.

7 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

It's up to me to put the correct info on the form?  Now that I think about it I'll just prohibit sales to UK and Europe buyers since they maybe make up 3% of my sales and I'd guess 50% of my biggest problem buyers come from those areas.  I sell a bunch to Canada and Australia with very little issues so I'll keep those guys on the buy list.

Well, if not you, who is supposed to put the correct info on? lol

And if I didn’t know you’re a stand-up guy from the boards, I’d think your feedback is looking a little iffy. There’s complaints about grading and you sent the wrong book in two instances and the buyers had to foot some of the bill? 

19 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

But how was I to know there needed to be a specific code put down so that the UK buyers don't get charged?  I primarily only sell on E-Bay and I've never gotten that info from E-Bay.  Based on my obligation with E-bay I printed out the form perfectly.

I did think about that after I typed my post.

Ideally, the seller should have asked you to specifically mark the package OR eBay should be doing it but this is a 'live and learn' situation. Not ideal, but now you know.

So did you declare the packages with the negs / neutrals as comic books?

22 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Well, if not you, who is supposed to put the correct info on? lol

And if I didn’t know you’re a stand-up guy from the boards, I’d think your feedback is looking a little iffy. There’s complaints about grading and you sent the wrong book in two instances and the buyers had to foot some of the bill? 

I was having a tough time keeping track of individual books since I sometimes got in 15 copies of a book but I've instituted a new filing program to help keep track of which book is being bought - especially useful since I sometimes get help filling orders.  

The one negative was from a UK buyer who I accidentally sent a wrong book to and I offered to send him the correct book once I got the first one back.  I was willing to pay for shipping back and forth but I wasn't willing to pay for the import fee since I didn't impose it and had nothing to do with it.  He ended up giving me the negative rather then sending me the books so I could correct the issue.

One of the other negatives - I sent wrong book.  He returned book and I sent him correct book which did take a couple weeks by the time it was all said and done. I waited to receive the book back before sending him the return shipping via Paypal refund and he thought that he had paid or waited too long.  Not an ideal situation but I sent him the correct book and ended up eating shipping back and forth and he still neg'd me.

Another guy neg'd me even after I refunded 100% of his order and even paid for return shipping.  I know he was out time and it was an inconvenience but I made sure he was out no money.  Still left a neg.

The only guy I felt I did not make entirely whole was the UK guy in regards to the import fee that I did not impose and we couldn't come to an agreement.  I offer a 100% refund policy for anyone who feels my grading was off so I can only offer to resolve the issue with the few guys that left a neutrals.

Edited by 1Cool

54 minutes ago, Bird said:

that is some real duty doody!

58 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

I live in Canada and I won't buy off anyone that uses Global Shipping Program.  This program automatically adds on duty to your purchase - a colossal rip off.  I have no idea on what they base their duty calculation but anytime I've seen amounts they seem exorbitant.

I have no idea whether the item then has duty levied on it when it reaches Canada or not.  Anyone from Canada experienced a double shot of duty?

I hear you. But shipping international on your own is really a hassle. I don’t have the time to do it. I usually discount books for international buyers (when I can). 

Just now, VintageComics said:

I did think about that after I typed my post.

Ideally, the seller should have asked you to specifically mark the package OR eBay should be doing it but this is a 'live and learn' situation. Not ideal, but now you know.

So did you declare the packages with the negs / neutrals as comic books?

I'm not sure.  Whatever E-Bay put down automatically in the info section.

47 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Not sure where you'd put them, but it couldn't hurt.

2 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

I live in Canada and I won't buy off anyone that uses Global Shipping Program.  This program automatically adds on duty to your purchase - a colossal rip off.  I have no idea on what they base their duty calculation but anytime I've seen amounts they seem exorbitant.

I have no idea whether the item then has duty levied on it when it reaches Canada or not.  Anyone from Canada experienced a double shot of duty?

I've never paid double duty but they do charge too much.  There is no duty on books entering Canada.  You do however need to pay 5% GST.  They are charging both duty and Tax in the GSP which I've complained about to Ebay before.  I can't remember their actual response but it was some political nonsense that didn't even address my concern.  But if its a book a really want, I'll still pull the trigger.  It's not a big deal shipping to Canada from the States.  Sellers just need to put the actual value paid on the package and customs never puts up a fuss.  It's when you try to beat the system that things go sour.  

I wish more people would ship to Canada!!

Some countries charge import duty on comic books, some don't. It can be confusing. A comic book sent to the UK from abroad MUST have 'comic book' on the label or the code otherwise the overzealous Border Force will slap duty on the package and it's an incredibly tedious and time consuming effort to reclaim the fees.

Edited by mrc
SPELLING