• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel (Cr)wrap
1 1

21 posts in this topic

So, I'm looking into buying a Thor #126 (preferably CGC'd, but might go for a raw issue) and noticed that almost all of them are printed by Arvel comics.

Are there specific time periods where the wraps are consistently this bad? It's a huge turn-off for me.

6 minutes ago, bababooey said:

If if bothers you I suggest you buy a copy with a properly aligned cover.  2c

Additional question: If the cover appears to be perfect, is it likely to have been pressed?

I ask, because I've seen a couple of nice raw copies, but they are nowhere near the same condition as the encapsulated ones.

I'm probably not as picky about that flaw, but it appears about 1/4 to a 1/3 of the copies listed on eBay have decent wraps.  But you're correct in that there appears to be a lot of miswraps on that particular issue number.

16 minutes ago, JWKyle said:

There is a Thor 126 cgc 8.0 in the sales area now with a beautiful wrap

I'm looking to score in the 9.2+ range, if slabbed. "Grail"-type stuff.

There are some okay ones out there. The 9.0+s seem to have pretty bad wraps. I saw the HA auctioned a CGC 9.8 in 2012 that has a very bad wrap IMO. White PQ, though...

Is this not an era quality problem, then? Is is mostly on an issue-to-issue basis..?

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I'm looking to score in the 9.2+ range, if slabbed. "Grail"-type stuff.

There are some okay ones out there. The 9.0+s seem to have pretty bad wraps. I saw the HA auctioned a CGC 9.8 in 2012 that has a very bad wrap IMO. White PQ, though...

Is this not an era quality problem, then? Is is mostly on an issue-to-issue basis..?

i think it's both back them if the covers were miswrapped they just let it go and corrected it on the fly as they were making the issue. My copy is a  IARVEL issue

Thor 126A.jpg

51 minutes ago, oldrover said:
3 hours ago, JWKyle said:

Thor 126A.jpg

Pronounced “YAR-vell”. :)

Image result for yarp from hot fuzz gif

12 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

So, I'm looking into buying a Thor #126 (preferably CGC'd, but might go for a raw issue) and noticed that almost all of them are printed by Arvel comics.

Are there specific time periods where the wraps are consistently this bad? It's a huge turn-off for me.

This does seem to be a fairly common occurrence with many Silver Age Marvels. I suppose that's what makes looking for one that's aligned properly so much fun...   

14 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Yeah the ARVEL ones are silvers from all I've seen. Bronze is notorious not so much for arvels but miswraps or just having a substantial white border on the spine as an IH 182 that I have but deleted the picture. I can only guess Marvel allowed this for financial reasons? Maybe would have been too costly for them to discard the ugly wraps and replace with better looking copies?

On 4/13/2019 at 12:43 AM, MGsimba77 said:

Yeah the ARVEL ones are silvers from all I've seen. Bronze is notorious not so much for arvels but miswraps or just having a substantial white border on the spine as an IH 182 that I have but deleted the picture. I can only guess Marvel allowed this for financial reasons? Maybe would have been too costly for them to discard the ugly wraps and replace with better looking copies?

Bingo...

5 hours ago, The Lions Den said:
On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:43 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Bingo...

Mass produced media - a more likely idea is that no one cared at the time.

Edited by lizards2
greggy stains