• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats going on with eBay?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

I have been on eBay for over 14 years, I have seen a lot of different scams. Some are elaborate while others are blatantly obvious. Recently I have noticed that a common scam seems to keep happening daily now. 

The scam is a new seller with 0 feedback makes a BIN auction for an item, most of the time its a CGC book but sometimes raw ones come up too.

The book is always a key worth hundreds if not thousands of dollars and the seller lists the book for 70 something dollars.

I have seen sellers from Russia, Spain, Peru and lately it seems to be china. The sales go threw as well which is weird.

Who actually believes they will get a hulk 181 CGC 5.0 for $74?

Also do these books get added to the GPA average?

Why do they always get listed for 70 something dollars?

I have so many questions.

Thats happened since 2016.. when i joined...

There is a thread in the newbie forum where someone tried "just in case it went through"

I did it in 2016 too lol

I don't believe this is reflected in GPA, they've rendered to these as outliers when it was brought up...

Its getting even worse now. Seeing back to back listings from china with similar user names and similar prices on CGC key books.

went from a few a day to now 6-10+ what is going on?

There seems to be a pattern to this. As usual people are smacking that BIN button on a Hulk 181 CGC 6.5 for $86 :tonofbricks:

Edited by grayzr

The books being listed in this 70-80 dollar Chinese scam are getting crazy. I can't wait to start seeing tech 27s or action ones for 86 dollars being listed. 

After paying more attention to this due to how frequently it's been happening lately I have noticed a pattern. All the seller names seem to be a bunch of numbers followed by a hyphen and a single letter or number, most if not all of the accounts where created sometime in 2017. 

I wonder if all these scams are being listed by the same person or groupe. It seems likely based on the patterns. Could also be that Chinese people have discovered a very easy and fast way to make between 70-80 dollars from insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

Edited by grayzr

2 hours ago, grayzr said:

wonder if all these scams are being listed by the same person or groupe. It seems likely based on the patterns. Could also be that Chinese people have discovered a very easy and fast way to make between 70-80 dollars from insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

2 hours ago, oldrover said:

There are scammers, small time and big time, everywhere. Comic shops, eBay, even here... the bigger the forum the bigger the scam. The smaller the forum, the quicker they get weeded out. Such is life. 

True but in 15 years on eBay I have never seen such a wide spread scam that continues to happen multiple times a day.

37 minutes ago, grayzr said:

True but in 15 years on eBay I have never seen such a wide spread scam that continues to happen multiple times a day.

Personally, there are only a few sellers I'll deal with that are located outside the US, and that's only because they've proven themselves to be trustworthy. And when I sell items, I use the same criteria. That's not to say you can't get burned here as well, but the idea is to weed out as many of these scammers as you can. I always carefully check the feedback of people I'm considering doing a deal with, and if there's anything that raises a red flag, it's not happening. It's simply not worth the risk...