• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Police Comics #120, rare or valuable?

6 posts in this topic

Hey everyone! I hope everyone is having a great evening!

I like getting first hand information from you all here. You all have helped me avoid getting scammed on eBay, taught me everything I know, and really really have helped me out with deals and knowledge. This is why I turn to you all for most questions, and I apologize if they may be bad or stupid, but it’s only because I trust you all for the right information. So this is just me saying thanks to all of you!

Now for the main question. I picked up about 5 copies a while ago of “Police Comics #120”. About 3/4 from the top, on all of them, the top 1/4 is missing from all of the covers. 

I don’t mind posting pictures, but I’m not looking for a specific evaluation or anything like that, I just wanted to know if they were rare, valuable, or even sought after, or if these need to be held in the “store for life” box lol. I paid under 10 bucks for all of them, so I’m assuming they aren’t, but I just wanted to check with you all before I forget about them. 

Thanks for the help!

Edited by jfree580

2 hours ago, PeterPark said:

Remaindered copies like those generally grade at 0.5. It looks like you won an eBay auction. The issue you bought didn't bring out any more than you paid so I'd say that was a good idea of market value. That said, you could probably do better than a couple bucks each sold separately but it would take a while.

It was an eBay auction. I was still pretty new in the hobby at the time. I’m still very new, but I have a better idea of things now. 

I did figure because of the purchase price, it wasn’t going to be worth much, but I just wanted to see if maybe I was wrong. I do appreciate the input! @PeterPark

1 minute ago, fifties said:

Keep in mind that "covers make the book (and value)".  You didn't get hurt on the purchase, at about two bucks each,  but what you have is basically reading material, that you paid market value for.

I’ve come to see that on most books, unless it was an AF 15, or Tec 27 lol, I guess those coverless could still fetch a pretty penny. Yea, I didn’t get hurt, I’ll just store them away unless I do a big sale on the forums eventually from all my “noob” purchases. Now I have a focus on what I really enjoy collecting, this was more from when I was hopping around, and being impulsive. 

Thank you for the response! @fifties

Keep an eye on eBay and maybe, just maybe, someone will be selling just the logo portion of the covers. Then you could marry them together (with scotch tape since CGC doesn't grade down for that) and have complete editions. Those would go for quite a bit of money.