• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 scam on ebay
2 2

75 posts in this topic

How is it a scam? He says that he has no idea what it is:

"This book appears old in the interior pages but seems to have been re-covered with a new copy of the cover attached???? I am not a collector and have never seen the original book so I am not claiming this as anymore than an Incredible HULK comic book ... I am not an expert so please see all the pictures provided and ask questions!"

3 minutes ago, newshane said:

"This book appears old in the interior pages but seems to have been re-covered with a new copy of the cover attached???? I am not a collector and have never seen the original book so I am not claiming this as anymore than an Incredible HULK comic book ... I am not an expert so please see all the pictures provided and ask questions!"

I think he is intentionally trying to be sneaky with this....I think he is very aware what this is, and is trying to scam someone.  Discovered this auction through another forum, and someone contacted this seller 6 days ago and told him what it was.  He replied that he would rather "let ebay set the final value".  

39 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

I think he is intentionally trying to be sneaky with this....I think he is very aware what this is, and is trying to scam someone.  Discovered this auction through another forum, and someone contacted this seller 6 days ago and told him what it was.  He replied that he would rather "let ebay set the final value".  

If someone is dumb enough to bid on that auction, it's hard for me to rouse myself into a piteous mood. 

Just now, newshane said:

If someone is dumb enough to bid on that auction, it's hard for me to rouse myself into a piteous mood. 

How's that for a custom title? 

13 minutes ago, newshane said:

Agree.  He states it in his description area.  We can't police stupidity.

Plus those bids are probably fake.  He has a burner account or some friends bidding.

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

Probably and very likely yes.. but there's also this which is the 4th & 5th pictures in the listing soo.. :shrug:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by 90sChild

55 minutes ago, Cliff R. said:

The splash page clearly states "Originally presented in THE INCREDIBLE HULK 180-181". 

The bidders must either be blind or illiterate.

So what is this exactly? A later reprint married to a reprinted cover? Or is the entire issue just a straight-up reprint?

2 hours ago, newshane said:

A seller, any seller, should know something about an item they're offering for sale. Anytime you're going to include language in your listing like, "I don't know what this is", or some such lingo, you should schedule the listing and then research it before completing the listing and posting it. There are many ways to find out exactly what this is, if you don't already know, ranging from comic shops to internet surfing. Or just stopping by any relevant mesasage board and asking the community of that arena for their input after posting pictures. Simple really. If you have access to ebay to post a listing, that means you also have access to google, search:  Comic book forums

They'll be a million hits for this forum and others where a seller can get all the info they want for the asking, so they never have to include, "I don't know what this is", in a listing.

Edited by James J Johnson

They stated everything and have photos to show it's not an original.  I once sold at auction a broken/non-fuctional MACBook on eBay for $300.I had stated the fact that is was broken and most likely the screen was the only thing worth saving (for parts and could not confirm that). Needless to say the buyer was pissed off at me because it was broken and that I didn't accept returns. I even wrote broken, parts only in the title, ask questions before you bid!!!:facepalm:  Lots of people just bid and don't read the description even though it's right in front of their face. I ended up giving him $50 back because I felt a little bad but that was the limit to my guilt because everything was disclosed in the description, they just didn't read it.

Edited by Xenosmilus

18 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Don't know how I missed that thread!  Should have added this there.  Just shocked that someone would bid that high on something so obviously fake

Back a few months ago I saw someone spend 150-200 on a Manthing #1 CGC 9.8 (Series 2) :roflmao:.

Edited by Xenosmilus