• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 scam on ebay
2 2

75 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

There are many ways to find out exactly what this is, if you don't already know, ranging from comic shops to internet surfing. Or just stopping by any relevant mesasage board and asking the community of that arena for their input after posting pictures. Simple really. If you have access to ebay to post a listing, that means you also have access to google, search:  Comic book forums

Same can be said for the buyer. 

I miss the days where you could actually look up a buyer's bidding history and determine if they were just a shill bidder or not.

If these are true bidders, you won't go broke if you never underestimate the stupidity of the human race.

13 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Back a few months ago I saw someone send 150-200 on a Manthing #1 CGC 9.8 (Series 2) :roflmao:.

About 2 months ago, there was an X-Men 1 (vintage) listed which was a coverless (original) with a repro cover (available on ebay from several sellers). The seller described it as "an original 1963 X-Men #1 restored to near perfect condition, with a new cover". Bidding finished at $6100.

It's probably still available for viewing if someone wants to take the time to find it.

9 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Which comes first? The perp? Or the victim of that perp?

Who is the dumber person? The guy who advertises it in the first place, or the person who bids on the item after reading the description? 

Seriously man. The seller is VERY clear that he has no idea what it is...and he's included pics that even the blind could see. 

I feel no sympathy for the folks bidding on that item. 

Kind of like the guy in Jersey who drove around a safety barrier with giant warning signs because he didn't want to be 5 minutes later than he already was...guy drove over a live wire and died. Or the guy who ignores the "HEAVY CURRENTS DO NOT SWIM" sign and ends up drowning? Yeah. I don't feel bad for these type of people. 

I'm afraid that Darwinism comes in many different forms. Economic Darwinism. 

2 minutes ago, newshane said:

Who is the dumber person? The guy who advertises it in the first place, or the person who bids on the item after reading the description? 

Seriously man. The seller is VERY clear that he has no idea what it is...and he's included pics that even the blind could see. 

I feel no sympathy for the folks bidding on that item. 

Kind of like the guy in Jersey who drove around a safety barrier with giant warning signs because he didn't want to be 5 minutes later than he already was...guy drove over a live wire and died. Or the guy who ignores the "HEAVY CURRENTS DO NOT SWIM" sign and ends up drowning? Yeah. I don't feel bad for these type of people. 

I'm afraid that Darwinism comes in many different forms. Economic Darwinism. 

Based on his feedback, it appears that the seller knows nothing about anything he sells. Or how to ship it. Or how to answer his messages and actually communicate with his buyers.

Based on his feedback, it appears that his expert level of spending the money his buyers foolishly send to him is inversely proportionate to his expertise in any phase of mail order.

11 minutes ago, newshane said:

I'd love to see the outcome of a defense attorney argue that point with even the most liberal judge in the land:

"Your honor. This is all the victim's fault. The victim was too slow and stupid to get out of the way of the bullet's path. When he heard the gunfire, he should have ducked. I move to dismiss all charges"

Sounds perfectly logical.  (thumbsu

Just now, James J Johnson said:

I'd love to see the outcome of a defense attorney argue that point with even the most liberal judge in the land:

"Your honor. This is all the victim's fault. The victim was too slow and stupid to get out of the way of the bullet's path. When he heard the gunfire, he should have ducked. I move to dismiss all charges"

that is a ridiculous analogy

6 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

That's not even close to being an effective analogy. Wow. 

1 minute ago, Bird said:

that is a ridiculous analogy

Not at all. His, and now your contention, is that a victim is just as guilty as a perp. Maybe even more so, because if there were no victims, there wouldn't be anyone guilty of anything. I understand. Just the fact that there is someone who may be susceptible to victimization is the contributing factor to a crime. If all victims, or those susceptible to be a victim, could be eliminated, all crime would cease to exist. It's a fascinating idea. 

You should bookmark the seller, buy from them, and hope that your feedback from your transaction will be among one of the rare positive ones. And if it doesn't go right, then going by the prevailing logic, it's your fault. You would be libel for allowing him to commit a crime against you! He could then actually sue you in court for making him guilty of mail fraud if he didn't deliver! Interesting stuff.

What judge is going to rule in favor of someone who signs a contract without taking the time to read it? 

No one is forcing anyone to bid on an auction; therefore the onus of responsibility will fall on those who choose to do so. The seller has an obligation to advertise truthfully, and that appears to be the case with the eBay seller in question. He says he has no idea what it is. He's posted pictures that clearly show the nature of the item (NOT an original comic). Case closed as far as I'm concerned. Once again, I don't feel bad for the bidders. If they can't be bothered to read or look at the pictures or conduct due research, then so freakin what if they get screwed? 

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

that a victim is just as guilty as a perp.

This is a BUSINESS CONTRACT, not an incidence of crime. SMH

3 minutes ago, Bird said:

Murdered by IH181 your honor, plain and simple.

Doesn't have to murder. Could be any crime. Mail fraud, murder, arson, jaywalking.... anything.

Your honor, if that building wasn't there, the defendant wouldn't have burned it down. I move to dismiss all charges and further, hold the owner of that building responsible for my client having committed arson! If it wasn't there, the defendant wouldn't have torched it. 

You can argue this with mail fraud, according to your logic. If the buyer had more sense, no mail fraud would be committed. This is true of all mail issues. If there wasn't a buyer, no issues. Thus it's the buyer's fault!