• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 scam on ebay
2 2

75 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Bird said:

forget the silly analogies and stick to the facts at hand as they are fairly straightforward and only muddied otherwise.

yes, the analogies are silly. Downright hilarious when you read a Bizarro-logic-like analogy based on the contention that a victim is the one at fault for being stupid or unobservant enough to fall prey to being a mark.

33 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Nobody said it was a crime. I'm referring to mail fraud in general.

There is no fraud being committed. The description and pictures are clear. 

23 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

yes, the analogies are silly. Downright hilarious when you read a Bizarro-logic-like analogy based on the contention that a victim is the one at fault for being stupid or unobservant enough to fall prey to being a mark.

Here you go with the "victim" argument again. 

Victims are innocent to the crimes to which they are subjected. 

The situation at doesn't involve victims. It involves willing participants in a business contract who fail to look at pictures or read the item description, which very clearly illustrate the item for sale. 

38 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Nobody said it was a crime. I'm referring to mail fraud in general.

Which is... *drum roll* ...a crime! 

This is just another example of how people shun responsibility tor themselves by trying to lay the fault on other people. 

You can reference another example by reading the recent "tax man" thread, which is full of people who would rather blame anyone but themselves for their inability to understand how taxes work. 

The downfall of society continues. 

55 minutes ago, newshane said:

The downfall of society continues. 

Yes; downfall, I imagine. It's been going on for awhile, right? Since the dawn of civilization? 5,000 to 9,000 years? Maybe dependent upon definition of "society", potentially a lot longer? Maybe you're right. Maybe that slide will abate as soon as the justice system holds marks and other victims accountable while absolving those that are directly responsible..

But now we're way off topic. Maybe we should revisit what the Hulk 181 is? The original impetus behind the thread?

Edited by James J Johnson

18 hours ago, Cliff R. said:

I'm 99% sure it is this book with a Hulk 181 reproduction cover.

1220671776_s-l400(13).jpg.8557f54543616b65c479f7ad17e263b8.jpg

Yes that's exactly what it is. 

I have the same book. I posted this awhile back. It's a reprint of 180, 181 with a facsimile cover replacing the cover of the book you pictured. Its from '86. It also has a brief Wolverine v Hercules story at the end (reprinted from Marvel Treasury edition 26) with a rundown of Wolverine's evolution as a character. Goes over the early artists & the relationship with Yashida etc etc..

It says it sold for 405 with 5 bids. I didn't pay anywhere near that for this! If i were to list this I'd make it clear in the title that it's a reprint however. Mine looks like a 9.4 with off white pages from looking at it. 

IMG_20190414_181123.jpg

IMG_20190414_182352.jpg

IMG_20190414_182502.jpg

IMG_20190414_182544.jpg

IMG_20190414_182702.jpg

IMG_20190414_182810.jpg

IMG_20190414_182913.jpg

7 minutes ago, Cliff R. said:

"You can't cheat an honest man." 

- George C. Scott in "The Flim-Flam Man"

George C. Scott portrayed the best "angry man" of all time. Kirk Douglas was no slouch either. If George C. Scott and Kirk Douglas were in the movie "12 Angry Men", they could have sent the other 10 of the angry men home!

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

George C. Scott portrayed the best "angry man" of all time. Kirk Douglas was no slouch either. If George C. Scott and Kirk Douglas were in the movie "12 Angry Men", they could have sent the other 10 of the angry men home!

Two of my favorite actors, for sure.  

Just off subject...

Reprint of ASM #129 in Marvel Tales #106 was sold for $510.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-MARVEL-TALES-106-AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-129-1ST-PUNISHER-REPRINT-CGC-9-8-BOX10/362572194104?hash=item546afca138:g:03EAAOSwW75cfJXf

BTW, I don't see any scams on that Hulk #181.

1 hour ago, JollyComics said:

Just off subject...

Reprint of ASM #129 in Marvel Tales #106 was sold for $510.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-MARVEL-TALES-106-AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-129-1ST-PUNISHER-REPRINT-CGC-9-8-BOX10/362572194104?hash=item546afca138:g:03EAAOSwW75cfJXf

BTW, I don't see any scams on that Hulk #181.

There's a difference. Let me point it out to you. This is a Marvel Tales issue. It reprints the story from AS 129.

The other is a reprinted facsimile cover, a copy of the cover of Hulk 181, not a reprint of it; a home made facsimile, wrapped around a coverless reprint of the story of Hulk 181.

The Marvel Tales is in the original form as published . The Hulk 181 reprinted story, wrapped in a facsimile cover, is a Frankenbook.

That's the difference between the two. With that pointed out, do you concur with my assessment?

Edited by James J Johnson

12 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

There's a difference. Let me point it out to you. This is a Marvel Tales issue. It reprints the story from AS 129.

The other is a reprinted facsimile cover, a copy of the cover of Hulk 181, not a reprint of it; a home made facsimile, wrapped around a coverless reprint of the story of Hulk 181.

The Marvel Tales is in the original form as published . The Hulk 181 reprinted story, wrapped in a facsimile cover, is a Frankenbook.

That's the difference between the two. With that pointed out, do you concur with my assessment?

I was little paying attention to it here. Yes I realized it was a different cover on the reprint copy.  Well...I am so used to too many scams on eBay that I rarely bought from.

13 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Add to that this marvel tales listing says box 10.  It might be a box of 10 marvel tales 106's.

16 hours ago, JollyComics said:

I was little paying attention to it here. Yes I realized it was a different cover on the reprint copy.  Well...I am so used to too many scams on eBay that I rarely bought from.

I surf ebay; study listings and results, as an adjunct to GPAnalysis, to keep track of trends in the marketplace. But as far as buying, I only go with the pros. Heritage, CLink, Metro/Connect, etc., etc.  Sure, buy on ebay, and youer money is protected through Paypal's buyer protection or a credit card claim. But who needs the aggravation? The pros get it right every time and on the rare occasion that something goes wrong, they're the ones I can count on to fix it without ebay, paypal, or my cc company having to intervene and remedy.

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

I surf ebay; study listings and results, as an adjunct to GPAnalysis, to keep track of trends in the marketplace. But as far as buying, I only go with the pros. Heritage, CLink, Metro/Connect, etc., etc.  Sure, buy on ebay, and youer money is protected through Paypal's buyer protection or a credit card claim. But who needs the aggravation? The pros get it right every time and on the rare occasion that something goes wrong, they're the ones I can count on to fix it without ebay, paypal, or my cc company having to intervene and remedy.

Yeah. We are on the same boat. I haven't bought a single book from eBay for 7 months. There are too many aggressive buyers that keep outbidding me. I used to own VG copy of Web of Evil #5 that I  paid only $250 that was in 2008. Now, the recent one was sold for $3110. My book was gone too soon.  I went through eBay Fraudulent department few times and PayPal Fraudulent too. Hassle works included my reports to my local police twice and out of state polices four times. The average time frame to close the case was about two and half weeks. Never wanted to go through again.  I had returned about 35 books to the sellers in last two years and kept some. It didn't get any better but few.  Right now CC, Heritage and Clink are doing the sale taxes. I haven't won any books on those pro companies ever since the sale taxes were added. I am kinda missing the happy days in late 1990's and early 2000's.

4 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Is it a crime if the seller really knows that its not real but is just playing stupid and hoping someone doesn't do their homework and buys it for $$$$$$ ? 

This is the likely scenario. And what in my way of thinking makes this listing a drastically different animal than the Marvel Tales AS 129 reprint listing.

I may be wrong, but IMO, the entire way in which the FrankenHulk 181 listing is presented has the aura of seller "selective stupidity". I think the seller knows exactly what it is and is hoping someone with the chalkmarked handprint on his back stumbles by. That's just the way it looks to me.

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

This is the likely scenario. And what in my way of thinking makes this listing a drastically different animal than the Marvel Tales AS 129 reprint listing.

I may be wrong, but IMO, the entire way in which the FrankenHulk 181 listing is presented has the aura of seller "selective stupidity". I think the seller knows exactly what it is and is hoping someone with the chalkmarked handprint on his back stumbles by. That's just the way it looks to me.

I'm thinking the exact same thing. Hoping for some uneducated buyers with his "I don't know exactly what this is"  claim of ignorance.