• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artist or Character, which signature is more valuable?

9 posts in this topic

I just recently began purchasing my first comic collection. Growing up in the 90's I obviously loved MMPR. So as Im getting my first few I stumble on a couple of what seem to be pretty valuable issues. My question is would I be better off getting the Artist signature on them, or one of the actual Rangers, such as JDF? Obviously he is the OG, and most popular Ranger ever so I assumed a limited virgin cover featuring his character would be more valuble with his signature rather than the artist, but wanted to see what others thought. Thanks 

Unfortunately, there may not be a definitive answer to your question. Check ebay sales to see if comics signed by the actor in this case are fetching more money, would be my advice. Personally, if I had a comic of interest (say Star Wars #1) and I had the option of having it signed by the artist or a star from the movie (like Mark Hamill), I would go actor. More unique. But there are others who would not think that way.

On 4/14/2019 at 7:19 AM, DBE89 said:

I just recently began purchasing my first comic collection. Growing up in the 90's I obviously loved MMPR. So as Im getting my first few I stumble on a couple of what seem to be pretty valuable issues. My question is would I be better off getting the Artist signature on them, or one of the actual Rangers, such as JDF? Obviously he is the OG, and most popular Ranger ever so I assumed a limited virgin cover featuring his character would be more valuble with his signature rather than the artist, but wanted to see what others thought. Thanks 

If it's a celebrity book, then I go with the celeb.  For example, the Wonder Woman #50 variant with Gal Gadot on the cover...given the choice of Meredith/David Finch or Gal Gadot, i'll take the Gadot signature 100% of the time.  However, given the standard cover with art by David Finch, I'll take the Meredith/David signatures.  I kinda don't understand getting celeb sigs on generic books for characters they've portrayed.  They have nothing to do with the actual book itself and aren't portrayed anywhere, other than playing that character in another medium.

The same applies to the new Conan book with Arnold on the cover.  Or Star Wars #1.

best answer is do  your own research ahead of time. 

But first a warning, it is TOUGH (but not impossible) to consistently make money on CGC SS.

^I agree with that. Getting Tobey Maguire or to sign a random (or even key) issue of Amazing Spider-Man is silly and has zero interest to me. However, I do think it would be cool if Harrison Ford signed an Indiana Jones comic or Mark Hamill a Star Wars comic because those characters were drawn similarly to their likeness. 

On 4/15/2019 at 1:07 PM, Mercury Man said:

I never understood actor on a comic, unless said actor is pictured on comic.   

On 4/17/2019 at 9:46 AM, comicginger1789 said:

^I agree with that. Getting Tobey Maguire or to sign a random (or even key) issue of Amazing Spider-Man is silly and has zero interest to me. However, I do think it would be cool if Harrison Ford signed an Indiana Jones comic or Mark Hamill a Star Wars comic because those characters were drawn similarly to their likeness. 

I understand both your points.  I've got some celebrity signed books from various film and television franchises, but creators are usually my primary focus.

That said, I've got a decent collection started of actor-signed action figure variants for the Star Wars comics that's become my primary focus. Those covers combine my love for my original figures (without the hassles of storing said figures), meeting (most) of the actors in person that had such a huge impact on my youth, sometimes getting to hear behind-the-scenes stuff I've never read or heard before, or even just getting health updates on actors who had to cancel because so many of these guys live in proximity to each other in the UK and remain friends either because of interactions during filming or forming those relationships years later on the convention circuit. There's a "thrill of the hunt" element to obtaining some of the lesser known or uncredited actors who filled the roles of minor characters or creatures or puppeteered various characters before the days of CGI. Some of the original trilogy actors have sadly passed or have retired from the convention scene for health reasons, so sometimes it's a race against the clock.

Obviously, I can't go to every con, so facilitators have been a big help; many times, I've had the pleasure of meeting the actors on previous occasions where I only got an 8X10 signed because I didn't know about Signature Series until long after I started attending cons, so at least I'm not missing out on that part of the experience with having the signatures facilitated.