• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Essentials for comic shop work
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I'm interested in getting a job at a comic shop.  Recently retired and want to pursue a passion outside of the corporate hussle.

I have gaps my comic knowledge because I've never been very interested in superheros. I have always loved comics but as a kid my pile of books was like The Shadow, Mandrake the Magician, Weird War Tales, Richie Rich, ... As I grew older I continued to stay away from super heros.

I'm assuming that knowledge of the superhero genre is essential for anyone who stands behind the counter.  For the past few years I've been reading a mountain of GA/SA and some modern superheros to figure out their allure.  Enjoying it and I find the history of the business and the people behind it to be fascinating... But I feel that I'll struggle working in comics because so many comic fans are focused on superheros and I'll never be as interested in them as I am in R. Crumb or Wallace Wood... 

Any suggestions for me?  Essential reading/knowledge?  Get a different job and enjoy comics for myself?

Thanks!

Sadly, many shops won't even consider an older person for employment. Shop owners seem to think customers wouldn't relate to them. Your particular area of expertise and interest doesn't line up very well with the interest of your typical customer.

Why not scout out a shop and owner you like and relate to and volunteer. Tell him you are willing to intern for a few weeks and see how it goes. As most people are into superheroes, your niche experience might be something the shop could use. Volunteer to straighten up the back room or some long neglected task. Make yourself useful.

I don't think it will be easy for you, but make sure you sell yourself when applying.

I think most comic shops (of course it varies) make their money from current titles (preferably subscription) and recent TPB sales.  So I would think most store owners would expect you to be knowledgeable about the most popular current titles from Marvel, DC, Image, and some other indies, and some more esoteric titles which you can recommend (or not).  Also, be aware of any recent comic movies.  But also, it sounds like the specific comic passions you have won't translate that well to the current local comic shop

Thanks folks.  Yeah, I'm starting to suspect that my comic interests don't really align with a typical comic shop.  I'm not a fan of comic book movies, for example.   I liked a few of the recent Marvel films but would prefer to watch something like "American Splendor" or "Crumb" if I'm going to watch a comic book movie.

On the other hand, if you're current on any of the indie titles, you might be able to hand-sell a ton of cheap back issues that might otherwise languish in most shops, if you can locate a shop that does brisk indie business (maybe if you're in/near a college town?)

You probably don't fit the stereotypical comic shop mold but you may well be an out-of-the-box shop's home run hitter.