• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Snipe bidding on Ebay,your opinion?
2 2

156 posts in this topic

I snipe on all auctions simply because if I bid too early I make the auction visible to everyone who set their seraches that way. I had sooo many sellers that cancelled my order when I sniped on their auction when they had no other bidders and they hoped to get a higher price/bid war. The negative feedback wasn't late to follow and immediately after that a seller's apology with a miraculous "book found" revelation.

11 hours ago, wolverine180 said:

I bid with 5 seconds left. Reason is that it prevents me from getting caught in a bidding war. I figure out what my top bid will be. Enter it and either i win or dont. But it does not give me time to bid again and go over what i planned. 

I agree, and I thought that was commonly known as the only way to bid on ebay. I'm always surprised when I see people bidding an item up with days to go in the auction. 

4 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I snipe on all auctions simply because if I bid too early I make the auction visible to everyone who set their seraches that way. I had sooo many sellers that cancelled my order when I sniped on their auction when they had no other bidders and they hoped to get a higher price/bid war. The negative feedback wasn't late to follow and immediately after that a seller's apology with a miraculous "book found" revelation.

That has happened to me just on a seller realizing they are under valuing their book.

10 hours ago, speedcake said:

Sniping is great. It keeps me from over paying (too badly), and I avoid bidding wars. :)

Exactly that. You get your one shot at the price you're comfortable with and win or lose accordingly.  If you win, it may well be that is because you didn't give any other bidders time to bid again. So it's a no brainer.  People who bid over and over so that they are always 'winning' tend to overpay in my experience. 

4 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:

I agree, and I thought that was commonly known as the only way to bid on ebay. I'm always surprised when I see people bidding an item up with days to go in the auction. 

I learned that lesson with my first bid, ASM 361, I actually began dialogue with the seller thinking I was gonna win.Lesson learned😪

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Exactly that. You get your one shot at the price you're comfortable with and win or lose accordingly.  If you win, it may well be that is because you didn't give any other bidders time to bid again. So it's a no brainer.  People who bid over and over so that they are always 'winning' tend to overpay in my experience. 

Yep already got my 300 win mag ready to go on a nice 9.8 I see 😀

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Yep already got my 300 win mag ready to go on a nice 9.8 I see 😀

Once again in English! :grin:

Oh, and a little tip Holly. If you use emojis from your device they will, over time, appear as question marks on the boards. So all your posts will end up looking like questions. Stick to the board ones - limited though they are - and you'll be ok (thumbsu

6 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Once again in English! :grin:

Oh, and a little tip Holly. If you use emojis from your device they will, over time, appear as question marks on the boards. So all your posts will end up looking like questions. Stick to the board ones - limited though they are - and you'll be ok (thumbsu

Sorrylol

A 300 WinMag is a sniper rifle.

I thought it was relevant considering the topic of conversation. Poor wit.2c

I see a pretty decent price on a book graded 9.8 by CGC that I am going to take my chances on with about 30 seconds remaining.

My bad, I type quickly and sometimes my sentence structure appears distorted.

Edited by Hollywood1892
Incomplete

6 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Sorrylol

A 300 WinMag is a sniper rifle.

I thought it was relevant considering the topic of conversation. Poor wit.2c

I see a pretty decent price on a book graded 9.8 by CGC that I am going to take my chances on with about 30 seconds remaining.

My bad, I type quickly and sometimes my sentence structure appears distorted.

Don't worry about it. As long as you get your apostrophes right all will be well 9_9

50 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

This is the real reason almost everyone snipes in an E-Bay auction.  I find the only way to get a steal on a nice book is to snipe which makes auctions a terrible idea from a sellers perspective on E-Bay unless you just need the cash and don't want to sit around waiting for a decent BIN offer.  I don't have any evidence but i believe sniping killed the e-bay auctions since it scared away the casual thrill bidders who kept getting beat at the last second.  The casual bidder liked the back and forth of an auction and most were ignorant of the fact that they could bump up their bid preemptively and they just got bored of the last second dash to a sell price.  The economic landscape also changed but I really blame sniping and sniping programs for the death of auctions on E-Bay

Edited by 1Cool

50 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:

After reading this I guess I need to change my strategy as I am the dumb guy bidding on items with days left to go :frustrated:

I guess its time to practice my sniping lol 

I really believe E-Bay should institute an extended closure policy similar to ComicConnect.  The small number of people who would stop bidding would be far overshadowed by the number of people who would come back for the thrill of the bidding frenzy.  E-Bay makes more money when an auction gets pushed up and collectors would quickly adapt their bidding strategy.  If you saw a hot book you wanted would the extended bidding time scare you away?  I doubt it for most people.

17 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I really believe E-Bay should institute an extended closure policy similar to ComicConnect.  The small number of people who would stop bidding would be far overshadowed by the number of people who would come back for the thrill of the bidding frenzy.  E-Bay makes more money when an auction gets pushed up and collectors would quickly adapt their bidding strategy.  If you saw a hot book you wanted would the extended bidding time scare you away?  I doubt it for most people.

The thrill of the bidding frenzy is fine if you're rich. For those that aren't, extending the closure time just gives richer / lazier people more time to outbid you. It also encourages people to bid higher than they would otherwise want to - it can be addictive. I believe an auction should have a fixed end time. You want the book? Bid your maximum within the allotted time. Win or don't win. Extending the time works only for the seller and reduces the possibility of snagging a bargain, one of the attractive aspects of ebay bidding. If a seller doesn't want to risk that, go for BIN. 

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

The thrill of the bidding frenzy is fine if you're rich. For those that aren't, extending the closure time just gives richer / lazier people more time to outbid you. It also encourages people to bid higher than they would otherwise want to - it can be addictive. I believe an auction should have a fixed end time. You want the book? Bid your maximum within the allotted time. Win or don't win. Extending the time works only for the seller and reduces the possibility of snagging a bargain, one of the attractive aspects of ebay bidding. If a seller doesn't want to risk that, go for BIN. 

Which 95% of all sellers have done but E-Bay keeps pushing to get the number of auctions up and running.  If they want to increase the number of low starting auctions then I think a big step would be to institute extended bidding for the very reasons you stated above.  Higher closing prices helps e-bay and sellers. Will it scare away buyers?  Possibly but the casual buyers who will fill in for the missing low ball bidders will make up for the slack.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

This is the real reason almost everyone snipes in an E-Bay auction.  I find the only way to get a steal on a nice book is to snipe which makes auctions a terrible idea from a sellers perspective on E-Bay unless you just need the cash and don't want to sit around waiting for a decent BIN offer.  I don't have any evidence but i believe sniping killed the e-bay auctions since it scared away the casual thrill bidders who kept getting beat at the last second.  The casual bidder liked the back and forth of an auction and most were ignorant of the fact that they could bump up their bid preemptively and they just got bored of the last second dash to a sell price.  The economic landscape also changed but I really blame sniping and sniping programs for the death of auctions on E-Bay

How have the auctions died away on eBay?  Are you just saying there are a lot less auctions compared to BIN fixed price listings?  I ask because I see auctions all the time - I just see many of them start at higher prices and not the .99 cent ones (those I have definitely seen tons less of).