• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Snipe bidding on Ebay,your opinion?
2 2

156 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Yes sir!

I actually offered a guy such a ridiculous low ball price on an obo just because I wanted to open negotiations and he accepted. In that case I asked my friend to make a best offer fifty dollars lower than mine. Took awhile to seal the deal,but it was satisfying when I had the books in my hand.

Why you little sneak. :applause:

2 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

I find it funny that some people use the term snipe. Perhaps I should use the term bomb for how I bid.

Hahaha

Actually I've bombed a few of my last bids. The worst though is people who think they are going to win the auction 3 days in advance,but all they do is Jack up the price.

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Hahaha

Actually I've bombed a few of my last bids. The worst though is people who think they are going to win the auction 3 days in advance,but all they do is Jack up the price.

Yes, early bidders who probably realize they aren't actually going to win the book that jack it up drive me nuts....

2 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Yes, early bidders who probably realize they aren't actually going to win the book that jack it up drive me nuts....

:gossip: Those people are usually the seller, the seller's friend, or someone who also owns that item and doesn't want it to look "unwanted" for days. :foryou:

30 minutes ago, valiantman said:

:gossip: Those people are usually the seller, the seller's friend, or someone who also owns that item and doesn't want it to look "unwanted" for days. :foryou:

I totally agree with you.

They are savvy, the buyer needs to be savvy too,like have a friend contact a seller on best offer and low ball them so you can come in and give them a more appealing offer...where is the damn integrity in comic collecting anymore? Lol

If you take the legality out of the equation then sniping is the same as shill bidding.  One you are trying to get the book for as cheap as possible and the other you are trying to get as much as possible.  One is deemed wrong and the other is just the name of the game but I see them as flip sides of the same coin.  Man - I hate auctions on E-Bay.  Way too many games on either side.

Edited by 1Cool

5 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

If you take the legality out of the equation then sniping is the same as shill bidding.  One you are trying to get the book for as cheap as possible and the other you are trying to get as much as possible.  One is deemed wrong and the other is just the name of the game but I see them as flip sides of the same coin.  Man - I hate auctions on E-Bay.  Way too many games on either side.

I know right.

Where else on earth is an auction a week long. My proposal or thoughts/opinions on the matter is two day viewing and than half hour auction.

Just saying.

13 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

My philosophy is this. If I  ain't winnin that auction, someone's gonna pay alot.

That seems to be the standard philosophy surrounding things.

A NM 87 fa cable pretty much autographed by everyone employed at marvel went up for auction and was at $600.00 with two minutes left.

It ended up selling for $1190.09.

A decent book though.

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

I know right.

Where else on earth is an auction a week long. My proposal or thoughts/opinions on the matter is two day viewing and than half hour auction.

Just saying.

The 1 week time period is not really a big deal and the short time frame would only work for sellers who have a huge following and could get a bunch of eyes on a book.  There are just too many sellers constantly posting books to expect everything to get a bunch of views if we condensed all auctions to 3 days.  Other then impatient buyers there really is no downside to a week long auction. 

7 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

The 1 week time period is not really a big deal and the short time frame would only work for sellers who have a huge following and could get a bunch of eyes on a book.  There are just too many sellers constantly posting books to expect everything to get a bunch of views if we condensed all auctions to 3 days.  Other then impatient buyers there really is no downside to a week long auction. 

I feel the upside benefits the seller more than the buyer. It's not even a matter of supply and demand.

What it really comes down too is a quote from Adam Smith in wealth of nations.

"The true value of something comes down to how much someone is prepared to pay for it."

That's what the comic book collecting world is turning into.

Some books sold on Ebay have such a vast difference in the highest someone has paid for an item versus the lowest. It becomes agitating for people building their collection from the ground up...unfortunately.

Edited by Hollywood1892
Grammar

On 4/14/2019 at 5:39 PM, Hollywood1892 said:

I love the honesty here👍

I recently only started my collection a couple of months ago,so here is a confession I have won two auctions

X force 11 9.8 cgc

New Mutants 26 9.8 cgc

Both in which my initial bid was made in the last thirty seconds of open bidding.

The way I see it when it comes to bidding is I have to know the max value I will pay for a product than add ten dollars. And bidding late prevents pushing the bids to ridiculous areas.

Personally I would rather a seller give me their price, and I pay it or ask for a bit of a discount. I know the seller has to make some coin, and I fully understand that. But dont rape me either. I hate bidding on anything on Ebay, just too much BS for this tired old man lol.

I would much rather buy from my favorite sellers here on the boards.

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I feel the upside benefits the seller more than the buyer. It's not even a matter of supply and demand.

What it really comes down too is a quote from Adam Smith in wealth of nations.

"The true value of something comes down to how much someone is prepared to pay for it."

That's what the comic book collecting world is turning into.

Some books sold on Ebay have such a vast difference in the highest someone has paid for an item versus the lowest. It becomes agitating for people building their collection from the ground up...unfortunately.

You seem to be hopping between a bunch of points and I'm not sure if we are still talking about the 7 day auction.  The 7 day auction format gives buyers some time to see the auction and make a bid (with 2 seconds to go of course).  The only loser would be someone who wants the book right now but there is always BINS for that.

For most books I'd say you are correct it's a buyers market in the fact that there are simply a ton of books up on E-Bay at any time.  The price buyers are willing to pay is the current price of any book but with very little cost to simply hold onto a book and keep posting the book over and over again then the current price is meaningless to most sellers.  The vast difference in price of each book is actually very good for new collectors since the vast difference is due to sellers blowing books out in an auction and if all prices were all high then buyers would be in a hurt if they wanted to start out.  Other then key books and Golden Age I'd say now is the best time to start up a collection since prices for non keys are simply dirt cheap compared to in the past.  People putting together a set of X-Men 143 - 200 would have paid a pretty penny 15 years ago but now I could probably put a nice VF - VF/NM set together for $75 - $100 including shipping with a bit of work.  The problem is there seems to very few collectors starting to amass a collection and the comic collectors in our mist seem to be swamped with books and may only have a few holes left in their sets.  I've got 500 or so books up on E-Bay at any given time and I'm shocked how many people buy just one book when shipping is $4.25 for the 1st and $0.25 for each additional book.  I'd say 90% of people order just the 1 book so that tells me they are not putting together a collection since shipping will kill you at that rate.

11 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

You seem to be hopping between a bunch of points and I'm not sure if we are still talking about the 7 day auction.  The 7 day auction format gives buyers some time to see the auction and make a bid (with 2 seconds to go of course).  The only loser would be someone who wants the book right now but there is always BINS for that.

For most books I'd say you are correct it's a buyers market in the fact that there are simply a ton of books up on E-Bay at any time.  The price buyers are willing to pay is the current price of any book but with very little cost to simply hold onto a book and keep posting the book over and over again then the current price is meaningless to most sellers.  The vast difference in price of each book is actually very good for new collectors since the vast difference is due to sellers blowing books out in an auction and if all prices were all high then buyers would be in a hurt if they wanted to start out.  Other then key books and Golden Age I'd say now is the best time to start up a collection since prices for non keys are simply dirt cheap compared to in the past.  People putting together a set of X-Men 143 - 200 would have paid a pretty penny 15 years ago but now I could probably put a nice VF - VF/NM set together for $75 - $100 including shipping with a bit of work.  The problem is there seems to very few collectors starting to amass a collection and the comic collectors in our mist seem to be swamped with books and may only have a few holes left in their sets.  I've got 500 or so books up on E-Bay at any given time and I'm shocked how many people buy just one book when shipping is $4.25 for the 1st and $0.25 for each additional book.  I'd say 90% of people order just the 1 book so that tells me they are not putting together a collection since shipping will kill you at that rate.

I totally agree with you.

What's the point of buying a book valued at $10.00 when you have to pay an extra $4.25 you might as well buy a string of books.

For me personally at this point I have only been buying 9.8s that I like.

And!...yes that will do...

13 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Tracking bids are useful. (shrug)