• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Snipe bidding on Ebay,your opinion?
2 2

156 posts in this topic

This is really too obvious; If you're a seller and u had someone snipe at your auction that no one noticed and therefore sold a $100 book for $1 - you'd HATE snipers. 

And that's what this is pretty much all about

Moral of the story - don't gamble with high end books if you can't eat a loss

41 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

This is really too obvious; If you're a seller and u had someone snipe at your auction that no one noticed and therefore sold a $100 book for $1 - you'd HATE snipers. 

In all fairness my minimum bid was always my reserve on anything that mattered to me, but if I sell a $100 item for $1 that's on me not the sniper.

46 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Totally agree.

2 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Hahahahahaha hahahahahaha 

Sometimes bluntness is needed

So about two months ago, the sniping program that I'd been using for the last few years, gavelsnipe, got blocked by ebay.  It still works with Heritage, since I believe that they own it.  I then tried using gixen, which is much clunkier to use, but still does the job.  Now they just informed me that they will only allow four winning snipes per month on their free version going forward.  Admittedly, it's only $6.00 a year to pay for their service, which is a good deal, but as I don't bid as often on ebay as I used to, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good, free sniping service for ebay?

Edited by Samoyed Sabaka

3 hours ago, Montezuma said:

gavelsnipe has been working again for a while now.

Thanks.  I'll check it out on an auction I won't mind if I lose later today.  They still have this message posted on their webpage though:

IMPORTANT: We are aware of the issues with eBay sniping, and it appears eBay is blocking snipes from GavelSnipe. As we look into resolving these issues, it is recommended GavelSnipe NOT be used for important eBay bids. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I either use GavelSnipe.com to place my bid or I bid in the last five seconds of an auction-- I don't want to get caught up in the emotions of bidding which will make me overspend, as I have done many times at live auction events.

That said, I've got no problem with snipers-- it's part of the process.

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:03 PM, Hollywood1892 said:

What is your opinion on sniper bidding on Ebay?

Bidders going in without having previously bid on an item and bidding at the last second?

It's fine. When a seller starts a 7 day auction, a visible countdown starts to keep track of the duration prior to the end. Every second of that listing ticks by. A bid can be entered at any time, at any one of those seconds, the first few or the last few it all counts until the auction closes in that final second. The placement of a bid relative to the end of that auction doesn't make you good or bad, right or wrong.

2 hours ago, speedcake said:

It's not sniping, it's just last second bidding. :ph34r:

This. And the final few seconds is usually where things finally get serious. I've seen items auctioning with 10 seconds left sitting at $1000 that closed for many thousands more than that 10 seconds later. It's your bid to place and you can enter it at any time you want. Just be prepared to pay for it.

I snipe the hell out of auctions because of shill bidding.

I've had it too many times in the past where I've bid and the seller has clearly got they're friend/family member/girlfriend/boyfriend to outbid me and drive the price up. That said I always stick to my the limit I set myself and never spend more than I need to win or lose. Last second bids are the way forward.

I'm with the above poster. I snipe because when I didn't, bad things happened. I can't say they were against the rules, because I could never prove it. But things like someone bidding $5 a shot over and over to find my top dollar don't seem right to me. It may not be against the rules, but that kind of stuff caused me turn to sniping.