• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I got MY OA Grail today....
1 1

37 posts in this topic

On 4/16/2019 at 6:00 PM, Unstoppablejayd said:

Thanks! I know it is addictive.. I already need to buy another portfolio lol. But this one is special I do not think I will be buying to many more covers lol

I have a bunch of empty Itoyas, let me know when you are at a NJ show (or comic art expo 4/28?) and I will get you one gratis.

10 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

That is so nice.. and appreciated! the 28th I think I have a family thing but I will PM you. Thank you so much!

Yeah, so nice to have sold 75% of the 1000 pieces I once had. doh!

No problem, they are here so no hurry on my end.

First off let me SAY I love this cover by Scott I left a comment on Caf and was blown away by it when I first saw it in the marvel previews.  What I ask below is only inspired by this thread- not intended to knock on the absolutely fantastic art day that this piece represents.

The question this thread raises in my mind is - can a GRAIL be a brand new piece of art? I always thought that a grail had to be either from a key book or from a nostalgia period (say a piece of art from your childhood.) Perhaps any piece of art you like or any piece of art over a given price point is a grail? Would love to hear opinions. 

Edited by Panelfan1

28 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

First off let me SAY I love this cover by Scott I left a comment on Caf and was blown away by it when I first saw it in the marvel previews.  What I ask below is only inspired by this thread- not intended to knock on the absolutely fantastic art day that this piece represents.

The question this thread raises in my mind is - can a GRAIL be a brand new piece of art? I always thought that a grail had to be either from a key book or from a nostalgia period (say a piece of art from your childhood.) Perhaps any piece of art you like or any piece of art over a given price point is a grail? Would love to hear opinions. 

Thanks you and a very fair point and question. I think I explained it in my initial post... for me an ultimate grail piece would be a Jim Lee X-men cover (my childhood) or a Neal Adams X-men cover (my inspiration to appreciate the art of comics) neither of those are realistic for me. This piece being done by Scott who was a major part of the team from my childhood along with the correct subject matter and influenced by Neal makes this my grail which was within my scope. 

I think a grail can be anything you have been searching for, that represents something ultimately meaningful to you. So, if having a cover of all the X-men, in an awesome pose, done by a strong artist like Scott, that sums up a bunch of childhood memories is what Jay was looking for, this is definitely a grail! 

Fantastic piece and congrats!

18 hours ago, lrBuff said:

I think a grail can be anything you have been searching for, that represents something ultimately meaningful to you. So, if having a cover of all the X-men, in an awesome pose, done by a strong artist like Scott, that sums up a bunch of childhood memories is what Jay was looking for, this is definitely a grail! 

Fantastic piece and congrats!

Thanks and thanks for expressing what I seem to be having a hard time doing lol

On 5/8/2019 at 3:43 PM, Panelfan1 said:

Love the covers Scott is both penciling and inking. Makes you wonder why he wasted so much of his career just inking that Jim Lee bum. :insane: 

On 5/8/2019 at 3:43 PM, Panelfan1 said:

I suppose it's theoretically possible that a Grail could be a brand new piece of art - Frank Miller somehow rediscovers his best form, comes out with another groundbreaking, landmark book, and draws your family onto the cover to issue #1 where you will be immortalized for all time. OK, I can believe that new piece of art could be your true Grail. But, in reality, I think it's very unlikely that a grail would be a brand new piece of art - more likely such a piece would simply be the best/your favorite piece that is both available to you and that you can afford at a given time, IMO. Which, along with "any piece of art you like" and "any piece of art over a given price point" are Exhibits A, B and C of what does NOT constitute a Grail, IMHO.

Favorite piece that you own, best piece that you can afford, cornerstone piece in your collection, sure, but most would agree that "Grail" has a more particular meaning than that. 2c 

Edited by delekkerste

19 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I suppose it's theoretically possible that a Grail could be a brand new piece of art - Frank Miller somehow rediscovers his best form, comes out with another groundbreaking, landmark book, and draws your family onto the cover to issue #1 where you will be immortalized for all time. OK, I can believe that new piece of art could be your true Grail. But, in reality, I think it's very unlikely that a grail would be a brand new piece of art - more likely such a piece would simply be the best/your favorite piece that is both available to you and that you can afford at a given time, IMO. Which, along with "any piece of art you like" and "any piece of art over a given price point" are Exhibits A, B and C of what does NOT constitute a Grail, IMHO.

Favorite piece that you own, best piece that you can afford, cornerstone piece in your collection, sure, but most would agree that "Grail" has a more particular meaning than that. 2c 

I would agree. My "grail" would be one of six covers from the Phantom Stranger First Series in 1951-1952. I doubt any of them exist anymore, but they were terrific. I particularly like the first one and the roller coaster covers.

image.jpeg.249aa56d6d88c2a8370a85a794a6ab08.jpegimage.jpeg.968734a98d52727e524c5a70229a325b.jpegimage.jpeg.54f17afb4d7def6e86ca186ef1427a35.jpegImage result for Phantom stranger first series roller coasterPhantomStranger#2PhantomStranger#3

image.jpeg

Edited by Rick2you2