• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bigger SA War Keys

Bigger SA War key- please pick one  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which is bigger SA War key

• SSWS 84- 1st Marie
    • SSWS 90- Dinosaur Stories begin
    • AAMW 67- 1st Gunner & Sarge
    • OAAW 81- Rock Prototype
    • OAAW 82- Rock Prototype
    • GI Combat 68- Rock Prototype

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/21/2019 at 08:05 PM

17 posts in this topic

Which books are the bigger Silver Age War keys:

Star Spangled War Stories 84- 1st appearance of Mademoiselle Marie 

Star Spangled War Stories 90- War Against Time story line begins

All-American Men of War 67- 1st appearance of Gunner and Sarge

Our Army at War 81- Sgt Rock Prototype 

Our Army at War 82- Sgt Rock Prototype 

G.I. Combat 67- Sgt. Rock Prototype 

thanks for any insight!

john

Edited by bronze johnny

36 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

tough vote .. for me it's between the first Mille or OOAW #81...

i went with the later 

Marie for me. Just couldn't pick any of the prototypes over a finished character like Marie. I put SSWS 84 right behind OAAW 83 and Sgt. Fury 1.

The next War Report should reflect the fact that the Rock prototypes are no longer as significant as Star Spangled War Stories 84 and 90. These books have been moving up the list and should end up number 4 and 5.  

Hope you're watching Andy(thumbsu

Edited by bronze johnny

This should be the top 5 list of War keys in the upcoming 49th Edition of the OSPG War Report's 50 biggest war books:

1) OAAW 83

2) Sgt. Fury 1

3) G.I. Combat 87

4) SSWS 84

5) SSWS 90

13 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

This should be the top 5 list of War keys in the upcoming 49th Edition of the OSPG War Report's 50 biggest war books:

1) OAAW 83

2) Sgt. Fury 1

3) G.I. Combat 87

4) SSWS 84

5) SSWS 90

what do you think of the steamrolling demand for Atlas War Comics #11  ?

On 4/20/2019 at 6:55 AM, bronze johnny said:

1) OAAW 83

2) Sgt. Fury 1

3) G.I. Combat 87

4) SSWS 84

5) SSWS 90

I'm not sure that a poll of fewer than 20 people is adequate to change the guide.  As far as significance, the first unknown soldier and first enemy ace are probably more substantial keys, and they weren't even offered as options.  Given the magnitude of the gap between Sgt Rock and everyone else, you may even put his first origin story ahead of the ones listed. 

21 hours ago, buttock said:

I'm not sure that a poll of fewer than 20 people is adequate to change the guide.  As far as significance, the first unknown soldier and first enemy ace are probably more substantial keys, and they weren't even offered as options.  Given the magnitude of the gap between Sgt Rock and everyone else, you may even put his first origin story ahead of the ones listed. 

The number of participants in this poll might or might not be representative of the larger audience view of where these great books fall in terms of the top 50 War keys that are in the OSPG's War Report. SSWS 84 and 90 have been moving up the War Report top 50 hierarchy while the Rock prototypes have remained in place. The characters you mentioned have their place in the War Report top 50 hierarchy, but they are further down the line. OAAW 151 and 168 appear during the mid 60s while the latest key to appear in this poll did so in 1960. They are much easier to find so relative scarcity is a factor I considered when comparing these books. I wasn't going to compare mid-60s books to the Rock prototypes and my favorite War character happens to be the Unknown Soldier. Rather, this poll is about whether the Rock prototypes are as significant as DC's other great creations from that era. I'm not sure Rock's origin issue will surpass Marie's first appearance- especially when we are in an era where first appearances are on another plane. That said, I'm sure we'll see another poll - they're fun.

Edited by bronze johnny

19 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

The number of participants in this poll might or might not be representative of the larger audience view of where these great books fall in terms of the top 50 War keys that are in the OSPG's War Report. SSWS 84 and 90 have been moving up the War Report top 50 hierarchy while the Rock prototypes have remained in place. The characters you mentioned have their place in the War Report top 50 hierarchy, but they are further down the line. OAAW 151 and 168 appear during the mid 60s while the latest key to appear in this poll did so in 1960. They are much easier to find so relative scarcity is a factor I considered when comparing these books. I wasn't going to compare mid-60s books to the Rock prototypes and my favorite War character happens to be the Unknown Soldier. Rather, this poll is about whether the Rock prototypes are as significant as DC's other great creations from that era. I'm not sure Rock's origin issue will surpass Marie's first appearance- especially when we are in an era where first appearances are on another plane. That said, I'm sure we'll see another poll - they're fun.

Fair enough, but you made no qualification in your top 5 conclusion.  To exclude them simply because they came later doesn't make any sense in terms of significance.  

On 4/24/2019 at 2:57 PM, buttock said:

Fair enough, but you made no qualification in your top 5 conclusion.  To exclude them simply because they came later doesn't make any sense in terms of significance.  

Regarding your first point, the Rock prototypes are ranked above SSWS 84 & 90 in the top 50 War books in the OSPG's War Report. I'm saying that's no longer accurate. This poll supports my position. OAAW 151 and 168 are further down the rankings. 151 and 168 are not in this poll because they don't rank as high in the top 50. As for your second point, I'm comparing books that are much closer in terms of their relative scarcity. Again, the books in this poll hit the newsstands in '59 and '60. You think it's more difficult to find OAAW 151 and 168 in grades above 6.0 than SSWS 84 and 90? 

On 4/25/2019 at 8:53 PM, bronze johnny said:

Regarding your first point, the Rock prototypes are ranked above SSWS 84 & 90 in the top 50 War books in the OSPG's War Report. I'm saying that's no longer accurate. This poll supports my position. OAAW 151 and 168 are further down the rankings. 151 and 168 are not in this poll because they don't rank as high in the top 50. As for your second point, I'm comparing books that are much closer in terms of their relative scarcity. Again, the books in this poll hit the newsstands in '59 and '60. You think it's more difficult to find OAAW 151 and 168 in grades above 6.0 than SSWS 84 and 90? 

No, but you made no such qualification, and scarcity has no impact on significance.  Hulk 181 isn't hard to find.  

1 hour ago, buttock said:

No, but you made no such qualification, and scarcity has no impact on significance.  Hulk 181 isn't hard to find.  

First, I'm going to make one huge distinction between the Unknown Soldier and Enemy Ace. The Unknown Soldier is much more significant than the the Ace especially when the former carried a run that took SSWS 151 and carried the book through the BA. The Ace will always be remembered for the short Kubert run, which happens to be the among the best stuff Joe ever did. As for the Unknown Soldier (my favorite war character), keep in mind that he had his day during the Bronze Age-  the last year of which took place 40 years ago. 

I don't know what you're defining "significance" as but the world has changed a great deal and Marie - the greatest female creation of DC's Big Five is very representative of the significant role women have had in serving their countries in wartime in the past, present, and future. Check out the role women had fighting in WW2 for the Soviet Union in Nobel Laureate Svetlana Alexievich's work https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-unwomanly-face-of-war-svetlana-alexievich/1125052242?ean=9780399588730&st=PLA&sid=BNB_ADL+EBooks+Generic+Mobile+Medium&sourceId=PLAGoNA&dpid=tdtve346c&2sid=Google_m&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI65nS5rzw4QIV2YWzCh24dABEEAQYASABEgLQ4PD_BwE. That's just one example of the many that are starting to come out and the guys at DC during the last year of the 1950s created the greatest symbol of the role women could have in fighting against the greatest evil ever to challenge our freedom and very existence- Marie. We live in an age of greater diversity where women are taking advantage of the opportunities never afforded them in prior eras. Women are now in leading roles that have an impact on the world today and will continue to grow. Marie's significance will grow with it because she was the only heroic woman character in a genre dominated by male heroes. Her legend will continue to grow just like the Black Panther's will for African-Americans. 

SSWS 90 is an example of a storyline that successfully juxtaposed the War genre with that of the Lost World. I remember as a kid growing up in the late 70s reading about the unexplored regions of the Amazon River Basin and remote islands. The world was a much larger place back then and probably bigger around 1960. The storyline went on for a number of years and showed that such a book during the Silver Age of the Superhero worked. 

You think I need to emphasize the point about relative scarcity when comparing War keys from 1959 and 1960 to one another? I would if books from 1965 and 1966 were included in the poll. They weren't. I might one day have another polll making such comparisons (and I've already hinted at that) but will see what the guys do with the War Report's top 50 list in the upcoming 49th Edition of the OSPG.

As far as relative scarcity being a contributing factor to a book's significance, it's important to keep in mind that it has a role in defining the significance of a book. There are exceptions and Hulk 181 and AF 15 are the clearest ones. These are iconic books that also attract more than just the traditional collector. Do you seriously believe that OAAW 83 would rank in the OSPG's Top 20 Silver Age keys if there were as many copies laying around as there were of AF 15?TOS 39? SC 22? BB 28? Relative scarcity is a contributing factor to the desirability of OAAW 83. To what degree is a question that deserves its own thread.

Edited by bronze johnny