• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"NO PUBLIC DISPLAYS OF AFFECTION ALLOWED!" - Inside a comic con in the Middle East
2 2

113 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, newshane said:

Follow the link below for one of a million different stories about weird stuff that can land you in jail over there. 

Doesn't sound like I am pious enough to even look at airplane tickets. 

To each their own. I'm sure it's a great place but...not for me. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/06/british-tourist-faces-jail-in-dubai-after-brushing-against-man-in-bar

I'm too tired to look at the link. I just go places and learn first hand. It's just how I am. If you've ever been to Dubai, what you state seems kinda silly.

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

No, I don't really carry a camera or take photos with phone while traveling. I'm too busy in the moment and carrying a camera anywhere (I've got a Leica M3 and M6 - did I mention I collect Leica Cameras, also) puts you in danger and suspicion on many, many levels. 

Pictures at a comic con is fine, pointing a camera (or even having a camera) at the Iranian boarder in Northern Iraq will get you shot or grabbed by Iran's "Boarder Rapid Response" team. See the book, A Sliver of Light. I was at same boarder town those guys were at and it was explained to me to be very, very careful and to follow all directions given to me by driver. 

I was in Egypt in the fall of '10. I was in the museum at Luxor (there's just the one) and I didn't even think about it, but I started to take some pictures. In the US, you can take pictures in a lot of museums (most? All?) I was in the NY Museum of Natural History last in 2017, folks were taking pics left and right. Same with the Smithsonian. 

No sooner had I snapped a few pics, when the security guard rushed up and demanded that I delete those pictures instantly. The battle that raged in my head for that split second was epic, but reason won the day, and I did as they demanded, remembering that I was a tourist in a foreign land, and "due process" is not really something that exists everywhere in the world. Since I am NOT rotting in an Egyptian prison at the moment....or ever...it looks like I appeased them successfully. 

The "Arab Spring" started just a little over a month after my visit, so my friends claimed I was the catalyst. :cloud9:

6 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I could have called my wife a horse all day long and no one would look at you sideways there.

cow.gif.386e975361c7f2f8646387f160376a7c.gif

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

cow.gif.386e975361c7f2f8646387f160376a7c.gif

I have no problem with my wife being jailed for calling me a horse.  This is an actual quote from my wife when I told her what was said here:

"You read such dumb sh*t on the internet."

Come to think of it, the "internet" told me Iraq was not safe.

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I was in Egypt in the fall of '10. I was in the museum at Luxor (there's just the one) and I didn't even think about it, but I started to take some pictures. In the US, you can take pictures in a lot of museums (most? All?) I was in the NY Museum of Natural History last in 2017, folks were taking pics left and right. Same with the Smithsonian. 

No sooner had I snapped a few pics, when the security guard rushed up and demanded that I delete those pictures instantly. The battle that raged in my head for that split second was epic, but reason won the day, and I did as they demanded, remembering that I was a tourist in a foreign land, and "due process" is not really something that exists everywhere in the world. Since I am NOT rotting in an Egyptian prison at the moment....or ever...it looks like I appeased them successfully. 

The "Arab Spring" started just a little over a month after my visit, so my friends claimed I was the catalyst. :cloud9:

Following directions is often a good idea.

1 hour ago, newshane said:

Dubai is terrible. I've read too many stories about tourists ending up in jail over the slightest offense. They arrested a British Woman when she landed because she had alcohol on her breath from the flight. She ended up staying in jail for several days before they got it figured out. Another was arrested when she landed because she had called her ex-husband a "horse" over social media. 

I can't imagine feeling at ease in such a place, where holding hands with your wife could land you in jail, or worse. 

There are far too many other gorgeous, historic, and enjoyable places to visit. I will never step foot in the middle east, especially Dubai or Saudi Arabia. Travel there at your own risk. 

You're welcome to come to Belfast, one of my US friends Fosdick recommends it as a good travel spot.:roflmao:

download.jpg

I would have a hard time traveling to any part of the World, where this is a general disdain for Americans (I am looking at you North Korea). I know not all Middle Eastern people feel this way, but I am sure it's not hard to get that vibe. 

I am more surprised that some comic culture exists to the extent of Cons in some of these Countries, seeing as how the religion of Islam can really have a heavy hand on pop culture. 

1 hour ago, Mercury Man said:

I would have a hard time traveling to any part of the World, where this is a general disdain for Americans (I am looking at you North Korea). I know not all Middle Eastern people feel this way, but I am sure it's not hard to get that vibe. 

I am more surprised that some comic culture exists to the extent of Cons in some of these Countries, seeing as how the religion of Islam can really have a heavy hand on pop culture. 

It really is about following directions. I was told if I went to Baghdad "it would be a one way ticket." I was told this from cab drivers to a United Nations election official lawyer. Finally on one of the last days there I was introduced to someone described as in "the mafia" in Iraq. I believe this to be a joke on a "crazy American" looking to die, however, the person seemed ernest that if I had money to rent a bullet/bomb proof car and a security detail of 4 that he could get me there although I would not be allowed to enter the green zone. I told him I just wanted to "chill" in Baghdad. And he said, "forever?" The road from As Sulaymaniyah (where we were) to Baghdad is the problem, not so much the city of Baghdad. 

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

or an American prison

At least you would have due process before landing in an American prison....at least we have Civil Rights....at least on paper...

and I doubt Egyptian prisons have exercise time, hot meals, commissary accounts, TV time, etc. 

So, yes...I would MUCH rather have the misfortune of landing in an American prison over that of landing in an Egyptian prison. 

Go where you want, but make SURE you know the laws of the land, social and cultural etiquette (respect), and the number of the nearest US embassy. 

I enjoy traveling, a lot. But everyone has to remember...regardless of where you're from...that other nations don't see things the way you do. Travelers to the West have the incredible good fortune of going to a culture that is slower to take offense than some. That Harron guy is a great example. But that's not the case elsewhere. It's easy to make a misstep and not even intend to.

It's not arrogant to enjoy and exercise your rights in your home country. After all, that's the only way to maintain them: vigorously protect and defend them. But those rights end at whatever border you cross.

Good luck!

I saw Midnight Express as a young lad. Scared the dickens out of me. Convinced me to never be a drug smuggler in Turkey.

:eek:

Billy Hayes had smuggled drugs out of Turkey before he got caught. Good he apologized. All the narcotics I had I had a note from my doctor! Seriously, the State Department website says to do that. :roflmao:

Anyways, I here ya tho. It's just not how I live life. As the LAPD will say to you if you ask them if somewhere is a good area: Everything's cool until it's not

Edited by NoMan

I enjoy traveling, a lot. But everyone has to remember...regardless of where you're from...that other nations don't see things the way you do. Travelers to the West have the incredible good fortune of going to a culture that is slower to take offense than some. That Harron guy is a great example. But that's not the case elsewhere. It's easy to make a misstep and not even intend to.

It's not arrogant to enjoy and exercise your rights in your home country. After all, that's the only way to maintain them: vigorously protect and defend them. But those rights end at whatever border you cross.

Good luck!

Yep. I was listening to the Joe Rogan podcast, and the guest was talking about his visit to Dagestan. 

He was sitting at a cafe with his leg propped up on one knee, thus exposing the bottom of his foot. Some dude came along and smacked the :censored: out of the back of his head. The translators had to intervene. Apparently, publicly exposing the bottom of one's feet or shoe is a massive cultural offense over there. The same guy was also smacked simply for HUMMING while he was walking down the street. 

Once again, visit wherever you feel comfortable...my advice is to tread very carefully. Due your diligent research when traveling to places (Dubai) where the smallest cultural misstep could land you in a real jackpot.