• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"NO PUBLIC DISPLAYS OF AFFECTION ALLOWED!" - Inside a comic con in the Middle East
2 2

113 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I am more surprised that some comic culture exists to the extent of Cons in some of these Countries, seeing as how the religion of Islam can really have a heavy hand on pop culture. 

Interesting comment given that the most ever paid for an Action 1 was by Ayman Hariri, a Lebanese billionaire and Muslim who resides in Riyadh.  In part, he was inspired to love Superman because he had an editorial cartoon on his wall growing up that portrayed his father as Superman (his father was the then prime minister of Lebanon - he was later assassinated),   Comics are found all over the world, including in Muslim countries:

Image result for Lebanese superman comic

Edited by sfcityduck

15 minutes ago, newshane said:

Once again, visit wherever you feel comfortable...my advice is to tread very carefully. Due your diligent research when traveling to places (Dubai) where the smallest cultural misstep could land you in a real jackpot.

Lots of Westerners live and work in the Middle East.  It's not as scary as some here think.  For example, a lot of western law firms have offices in places like Dubai, Doha, Riyadh, Abu Dabi, etc.  

4 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Lots of Westerners live and work in the Middle East.  It's not as scary as some here think.  For example, a lot of western law firms have offices in places like Dubai, Doha, Riyadh, Abu Dabi, etc.  

I don't begrudge anyone's travel plans, no matter where they decide to go. There are worse places to go than Dubai. 

But I'm not stumbling over my own feet to visit a desert where I wouldn't feel welcome. (shrug)

I'm more of a mountain man...I'd rather spend my money visiting the Alps or Patagonia. 

I know that Afghanistan and Pakistan have some of the most gorgeous ranges on earth, but once again, I'm good. I could go to a more welcoming place and have a more enjoyable experience. 

34 minutes ago, newshane said:

I know that Afghanistan and Pakistan have some of the most gorgeous ranges on earth, but once again, I'm good. I could go to a more welcoming place and have a more enjoyable experience. 

Most people try to avoid war zones.  But, most of the MIddle East is not a war zone.  And Westerners are welcome in places like Dubai.  It's a popular tourist destination with most of the top western hotels. 

2 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I am talking about average families from Middle Eastern Countries who hate to let West pop culture into their children's lives.   

Western pop culture is all over the middle east.  That Superman comic I linked is from Lebanon.  There are 1,195 Arabic language comics on eBay right now.  This thread is about a comic con in Dubai, right?  They are opening up a Legoland soon in Dubai, as well as a theme park with Dreamworks, Sony, and Lionsgate lands, as well as a smurfs village.  More Arabic comic pics off ebay:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by sfcityduck

23 minutes ago, stock_rotation said:

Thank you for your informed opinion!

I've read quite a bit about Dubai. 

It's true that I've never been there. 

I've also read that certain snakes are deadly, even though I've never handled one or kept one as a pet. 

It's up to everyone to make their own informed decisions in life. Carry on as you may. 

Everyone is entitled to form and voice their opinions.  Some opinions are more informed than others.  Often the key is finding the best sources for information.  But, even then, reasonable minds can often disagree.  Newshane states he "wouldn't feel welcome" in Dubai.  No one can dispute those feelings.  But, the fact is that many other people do feel welcome in Dubai and it garners a steady flow of western tourists.

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

Everyone is entitled to form and voice their opinions.  Some opinions are more informed than others.  Often the key is finding the best sources for information.  But, even then, reasonable minds can often disagree.  Newshane states he "wouldn't feel welcome" in Dubai.  No one can dispute those feelings.  But, the fact is that many other people do feel welcome in Dubai and it garners a steady flow of western tourists.

I knew the comic con there would suck. I didn't have to go to know that. But I shelled out $40.00 and, well, it sucked.

Having been there twice, the anti-Dubai sentiments leave me scratching my head. 

31 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Having been there twice, the anti-Dubai sentiments leave me scratching my head. 

Where do I begin? Let me express my "informed opinion" by presenting some facts for everyone. Make up your own mind. I've made up mine. 

1. All of those pretty skyscrapers? Practically built through slave labor. Watch the documentary Slaves of Dubai. Lots of the immigrant workers are forced to give up their passports upon entry, and many are not paid for months on end. They often live in "camps" crammed 8 to a room. UAE has also refused to sign a number of treaties guaranteeing basic human rights for their workforce. 

2. Prior to the mid 2000s, camel owners made use of child jockeys, most of whom were kids kidnapped from other parts of the world. After international outcry, they have slowed the practice. But violations still remain and are likely to get swept under the rug if the owners have the money to pay off the cops. 

3. Openly gay people face the death penalty in the UAE. 

4. Kissing, dancing, or drinking in public are all punishable, criminal offenses. 

5. Sleeveless tops and short dresses are not allowed at Dubai's malls. Clothes must be in appropriate lengths. Expats and tourists are not allowed to consume alcohol outside of licensed venues.

6. Apostasy against Islam is punishable by death. 

7. In all emirates, it is illegal for Muslim women to marry non-Muslims. In the UAE, a marriage union between a Muslim woman and non-Muslim man is punishable by law, since it is considered a form of "fornication".

8. During the month of Ramadan, it is illegal to publicly eat, drink, or smoke between sunrise and sunset. Exceptions are made for pregnant women and children. The law applies to both Muslims and non-Muslims, and failure to comply may result in arrest. In 2008 a Russian woman was put on trial for drinking juice in public during the month of Ramadan. 

9. More than 100 Emirati activists were jailed and tortured because they sought reforms during the "Arab Spring." Since 2011, the UAE government has increasingly carried out forced disappearances.

10. According to Human Rights Watch, the reports of forced disappearance and torture in the UAE are of grave concern.11. The Arab Organisation of Human Rights has obtained testimonies from many defendants, for its report on "Forced Disappearance and Torture in the UAE", who reported that they had been kidnapped, tortured and abused in detention centres. The report included 16 different methods of torture including severe beatings, threats with electrocution and denying access to medical care. 

11. In April 2009, a video tape of torture smuggled out of the UAE showed Sheikh Issa bin Zayed Al Nahyan torturing a man with whips, electric cattle prods, wooden planks with protruding nails and running him over repeatedly with a car. In December 2009 Issa appeared in court and proclaimed his innocence. The trial ended on 10 January 2010, when Issa was cleared of the torture of Mohammed Shah Poor.

12. Rape victims are not immune for punishment for other crimes they have committed in Dubai. In a small number of cases, the courts of the UAE have jailed women after they reported being raped and it was proven that the accusations were false. A British woman, after she reported being gang raped by three men, was fined AED 1000 after confessing to consuming alcohol without a license. 

13. An 18-year-old Emirati woman withdrew her complaint of gang rape inside a car by 6 men when faced with a long jail term when it was found there was no evidence that rape occurred. The woman served one year in jail for having consensual sex outside marriage with one of the men on a separate occasion.

14, Keith Brown, a British national, was arrested on September 17, 2007 after authorities claim to have discovered a speck of cannabis on the bottom of one of his shoes. According to an article in the Daily Mail, the alleged illegal substance was smaller than a grain of sugar - weighing approximately .003 grams. He has also been sentenced to four years in prison. Other tourists and residents have been sentenced to execution for selling cannabis.

15. Another UK citizen, Tracy Wilkinson, was arrested and accused of being a "drugs baroness" in 2005 after authorities found codeine in her blood. Wilkinson has a bad back and received an injection of codeine at a Dubai hospital. She ended up spending two months in a cell where she contracted dysentery, head lice and an infestation of fleas before she was eventually released on bail. 

16. German television producer Cat Le-Huy was arrested in January 2008 for possessing a bottle of the over-the-counter hormone sleep aid Melatonin.

17. Prostitution, though illegal by law, is conspicuously present in the emirate because of an economy that is largely based on tourism and trade. Research conducted by the American Center for International Policy Studies (AMCIPS) found that women from the former USSR and Ethiopian women are the most common prostitutes, as well as women from some African countries, while Indian prostitutes are part of a well-organized trans-Oceanic prostitution network. A 2007 PBS documentary entitled Dubai: Night Secrets reported that prostitution in clubs is tolerated by authorities and many foreign women work there without being coerced, attracted by the money

Edited by newshane

There are many, many, many more anecdotes, but I feel like I've made my point. 

Besides, true work beckons, so I must take my leave now. :)

Enjoy Dubai! lol 

7 minutes ago, newshane said:

Where do I begin? Let me express my "informed opinion" by presenting some facts for everyone. Make up your own mind. I've made up mine. 

1. ....

17. Prostitution, though illegal by law, is conspicuously present in the emirate because of an economy that is largely based on tourism and trade. Research conducted by the American Center for International Policy Studies (AMCIPS) found that women from the former USSR and Ethiopian women are the most common prostitutes, as well as women from some African countries, while Indian prostitutes are part of a well-organized trans-Oceanic prostitution network. A 2007 PBS documentary entitled Dubai: Night Secrets reported that prostitution in clubs is tolerated by authorities and many foreign women work there without being coerced, attracted by the money

You do realize that a similar list could be drawn up to tarnish the U.S., right?  To give one example, prostitution is legal in some U.S. states, and in most others it is prevalant despite its illegality, including operations that are using victims of international sex-trafficking (such as the one outside mar-a-lago that led to Kraft's arrest).  

Overall I'm not  saying we don't have more freedom and a better legal system than Dubai, because we do, but I think you are focusing on the trees not the forest.  If the standard is that you don't want to travel to a country that has less freedom and a worse legal system than the U.S., you'll end up denying yourself the opportunity to travel to most of the world.  

It's all good. 

GO TO DUBAI IF YOU WANT. 

I will go to places that at least attempt to honor human rights and civil liberties. 

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

Can I go to Hong Kong? Or Micronesia, not Guam but Palau or Yap or Chuck?  The wife is talking about those next.

No, can travel to US only (and may not visit college campuses) if you want to meet those strict criteria presented by newshane - even UK has threatened wrongspeak with prison. 

Safe travel amigo.

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

Can I go to Hong Kong? Or Micronesia, not Guam but Palau or Yap or Chuck?  The wife is talking about those next.

I don't care where you go. 

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

If the standard is that you don't want to travel to a country that has less freedom and a worse legal system than the U.S., you'll end up denying yourself the opportunity to travel to most of the world.  

I am fine with that.