• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"NO PUBLIC DISPLAYS OF AFFECTION ALLOWED!" - Inside a comic con in the Middle East
2 2

113 posts in this topic

On 4/15/2019 at 9:37 AM, NoMan said:

Did you know that every mosque in Iraq has bathrooms for public use (squatty potty only)?

As odd as it seems, squatting is the healthiest way to do #2

On 4/16/2019 at 4:32 PM, Comicshrine said:

I am well travelled,  love coming to the US been to many cities, but you do know that across most of the world the USA has a similar (in my opinion wrong) image. Dangerous at nights, gun crazy, black people not safe from police, corrupt politically.

Media plays a part on all this negativity  

Most people in foreign countries don't see the US the way Americans see the US.

I don't think all Americans realize this .

5 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Most people in foreign countries don't see the US the way Americans see the US.

I don't think all Americans realize this .

This is very true.  Part of it is due to citizens of other countries only have the ability to base their opinions of the US by who they meet.  Unfortunately they usually meet the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.  I've seen many tourists get in trouble, while us Sailors usually never got into trouble.  We always had a briefing on what and what not to do before we pulled into a foreign port.  Regular (non Navy) tourist put on the "Ugly" American act, believing that the people of those countries should speak English and that the US laws were the only laws that applied to them.  While we had the fear of the Captain put into us.  Not saying Sailors never got into trouble, just less than the average tourists, for the most part from what I have seen.

No matter what country you visit, you should always research it, whether it is Canada, Greece, Korea, or wherever.  It will save you a lot of trouble and you will probably enjoy the visit even more.

11 hours ago, aszumilo said:

This is very true.  Part of it is due to citizens of other countries only have the ability to base their opinions of the US by who they meet.  Unfortunately they usually meet the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.  I've seen many tourists get in trouble, while us Sailors usually never got into trouble.  We always had a briefing on what and what not to do before we pulled into a foreign port.  Regular (non Navy) tourist put on the "Ugly" American act, believing that the people of those countries should speak English and that the US laws were the only laws that applied to them.  While we had the fear of the Captain put into us.  Not saying Sailors never got into trouble, just less than the average tourists, for the most part from what I have seen.

No matter what country you visit, you should always research it, whether it is Canada, Greece, Korea, or wherever.  It will save you a lot of trouble and you will probably enjoy the visit even more.

It's also true that just about everyone on the planet doesn't view their country the way foreigners view it. It's just human nature, not confined to Americans. 

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It's also true that just about everyone on the planet doesn't view their country the way foreigners view it. It's just human nature, not confined to Americans. 

Very true.  I was just basing my response off of Roy's post, but, yes it is human nature to view things in their own way.

16 hours ago, aszumilo said:

This is very true.  Part of it is due to citizens of other countries only have the ability to base their opinions of the US by who they meet.  Unfortunately they usually meet the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons. 

Another part of it is that a lot people judge a country by its leadership, viewing the people of that country favorably or unfavorably based on their view of the country's leader/government.  

Great post by aszumilo. During my time in the Navy I visited Dubai a few times.  It was a fascinating city and I had a good time but you do need to be careful. And respectful. The one thing that really bothered me was not being able to wear shorts in public in that heat. Yeah, guys can't wear short (cargo shorts, to be precise) to the mall. 

As soon as I clicked on the thread (for the first time) I said to myself... how many pages until...

Sometimes I am never disappointed. 

Oh and btw... side note... and this has nothing to do on my opinion as to whether or not you should visit a place in the middle east.

I don't have to ride a bike to know that you should wear a helmet. 

Poor analogy that ya made up there. 

p5eb6.jpg