• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This tiny crease OK for a 9.2?
1 1

29 posts in this topic

I was discussing this with a few people at the last Berkeley Con.  As Joe said, 9.2 books HAVE DEFECTS :makepoint: Think about it, there are FIVE grading levels above 9.2.  on the book in question that is a very small color breaking stress, which is probably = to 4-5 color breaking spine ticks, which is consistent with a lot of books in 9.2 holders IF the rest of the book is clean.  The problem comes in when people see one defect on a book and then consider that defect as acceptable WITH A BUNCH OF OTHER DEFECTS on a book, this is where consistency breaks down and frustration sets in.

1 hour ago, jharvey said:

I've seen a CGC 9.4 with a nearly identical crease.

48 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

Kinda like 9.6's with around 5 or 6 tiny, color breaking spine tics...seen QUITE a few of those in my limited experience.

Ditto on both accounts, plus the 9.2s.

To me they are probably 9.0s, but hey, CGC it.

3 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Hey guys,

I was looking at pictures on ebay trying to get a feel for how a book I own would be graded.  Then I saw this on a CGC 9.2 book.  This kind of corner web/crease is allowed on an otherwise nice book for a 9.2?

web.jpg

I've seen those on 9.4s.

5 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Hey guys,

I was looking at pictures on ebay trying to get a feel for how a book I own would be graded.  Then I saw this on a CGC 9.2 book.  This kind of corner web/crease is allowed on an otherwise nice book for a 9.2?

web.jpg

Personally, I would not want to own a book graded 9.2 with an obvious corner crease. During some eras of CGC grading, a book with a corner crease like this would have received an 8.5. 

34 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Personally, I would not want to own a book graded 9.2 with an obvious corner crease. During some eras of CGC grading, a book with a corner crease like this would have received an 8.5. 

It doesn't bother me so much if it's on a 9.0 or a 9.2, but that Daredevil #168 makes me a little nervous. The rest of that book must be a 9.8...  (shrug)

Thanks for the great feedback, guys.  There is hope yet for those of us who shove our books into the bag. :)  I was under the impression that you couldn't go about a 9.0 without that defect, but I guess if the rest of the book is a standout, CGC gives it a little bump for being so nice.  At least that's the logic I'm going to apply in my head.

Steve

18 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Hey guys,

web.jpg

To me this is not a 9.2. I use Overstreet Grade definitions and I am pretty sure this is not allowed. 8.5 at best IMO.

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

This book is otherwise gorgeaous and the corner crease is very small, almost tiny. I'm fine with tiny corner creases getting a 9.2. Size matters !!!!!

And I'm not sure if (as far as CGC graders are concerned) the age of the book is supposed to influence the grade, but I would find a tiny corner crease as shown more acceptable on a 9.2 from the early Silver Age than a similarly-graded comic from the Bronze Age.