• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This tiny crease OK for a 9.2?
1 1

29 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

To me this is not a 9.2. I use Overstreet Grade definitions and I am pretty sure this is not allowed. 8.5 at best IMO.

This. Grading is subjective, but when I consider acquiring a book CGC graded 9.2 and see a flaked corner crease of this nature, I hand the book back quickly and say, "Thank you, I'll consider it".

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:07 PM, joeypost said:

Yes, if it is the only defect. 

Let's take a peek at some of the other flaws. It's not even close to being the only defect. Here's two more of many. Top right corner chipped off, tiny sliver of a crease there, torn bottom spine corner. That, and the bottom right corner flaked crease should make this not as strong a CGC 9.2 as the norm, right?

$299?    :wishluck: 

Seller's going to need a few extra sets of crossed fingers to get that for this. Unless the same mark that bought the Hulk 181 reprint story with the facsimile cover for $501 has Conan 23 on his want list and shops with him next as an encore!  lol

Conan23.jpg

Conan23b.jpg

Edited by James J Johnson

6 minutes ago, joeypost said:

It would appear it is not the only defect. After seeing the book in its entirety, the seller will have a hard time moving this as a 9.2. 

Unless he eventually uses the standard and shady ebay sales ploy of fuzzy focus and creative cropping, employed by many to mitigate flaws not generally expected of a particular CGC grade, and has an "all sales final on third party graded items" disclaimer, which doesn't hold up anyway as a reason for dismissal of a return for refund. .

Edited by James J Johnson

18 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Let's take a peek at some of the other flaws. It's not even close to being the only defect. Here's two more of many. Top right corner chipped off, tiny sliver of a crease there, torn bottom spine corner. That, and the bottom right corner flaked crease should make this not as strong a CGC 9.2 as the norm, right?

$299?    :wishluck: 

Seller's going to need a few extra sets of crossed fingers to get that for this. Unless the same mark that bought the Hulk 181 reprint story with the facsimile cover for $501 has Conan 23 on his want list and shops with him next as an encore!  lol

Conan23.jpg

Conan23b.jpg

Aww, don't out the seller!  I didn't post the number on-purpose because I don't want to step on toes, but I forget how many of you guys can figure out a book from a small picture.

Hmmm....I don't have time to do it, but that would be an awfully cool contest for this site...post close-up pictures of books and see how many ya'll could guess.

7 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Aww, don't out the seller!  I didn't post the number on-purpose because I don't want to step on toes, but I forget how many of you guys can figure out a book from a small picture.

Hmmm....I don't have time to do it, but that would be an awfully cool contest for this site...post close-up pictures of books and see how many ya'll could guess.

Some of the forum members can identify an issue as long as we have an image of two pixels to work with! :whee:

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:13 PM, jharvey said:

I've seen a CGC 9.4 with a nearly identical crease.

IMG_9122.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:13 PM, jharvey said:

I've seen a CGC 9.4 with a nearly identical crease.

IMG_9122.jpg

Old school funky enough of a 9.4 that when I saw it, I heard this

On 4/16/2019 at 8:51 AM, Westy Steve said:

Thanks for the great feedback, guys.  There is hope yet for those of us who shove our books into the bag. :) I was under the impression that you couldn't go about a 9.0 without that defect, but I guess if the rest of the book is a standout, CGC gives it a little bump for being so nice.  At least that's the logic I'm going to apply in my head.

Steve

I can't speak for the graders at CGC, but if a book is super-sharp, I like to apply what I call the "upgrade factor." If a book has a flaw like the one pictured, the grade automatically drops to a certain level (in this case, let's say 9.0). However, if that's the only flaw and the rest of the book is in the 9.6 or better range, I like to apply the "upgrade factor." So a book that would normally be a 9.0 would become a 9.2. This strategy can be applied no matter what the normal estimated grade is. However, as JJ pointed out in this example, since the book has other flaws in addition to the corner crease, the upgrade factor would not be applied, and in fact, the book would be downgraded accordingly because of the other flaws...