• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay Seller cornfieldcomics-and-bricks BEWARE
3 3

427 posts in this topic

BEWARE!!!

Dear bseldin,

I stand behind that the book wasn’t trimmed. Pics prove it.

- cornfieldcomics-and-bricks

To: cornfieldcomics-and-bricks
Subject: Re: I received an item that wasn't as described: bseldin sent a message about Amazing Spider-man 5 Dr Doom Unrestored Very Good Marvel Fantastic Four Stan Lee #253993521909
Sent Date: Apr-15-19 15:20:44 PDT

Dear cornfieldcomics-and-bricks,

Trimming equals restoration. You made a claim that wasn't true.

- bseldin

To: bseldin
Subject: Re: I received an item that wasn't as described: bseldin sent a message about Amazing Spider-man 5 Dr Doom Unrestored Very Good Marvel Fantastic Four Stan Lee #253993521909
Sent Date: Apr-15-19 15:18:02 PDT

Dear bseldin,

And as you said, if the trimming can only be found by trained experts, then my original listing is still accurate. I am not a trained expert and the book was assessed correctly as non-restored.

Sent Date: Apr-15-19 15:15:04 PDT

Dear cornfieldcomics-and-bricks,

Some guy's post, on a message board is evidence of nothing.

- bseldin

To: bseldin
Sent Date: Apr-15-19 15:13:31 PDT

Dear bseldin,

Here is great section of the cgc messages boards about cgc ability incorrectly diagnose trimming:

Does CGC really detect trimming? Yes, but depends on who's on the grading team. Lazy ones will let it slide, better ones will verify everything. So the prior grading team saw the trimming, but the new team was unaware of the trimming. It's best to get the grade sell it and then the buyer just take it out of the case and store it the right way.

Sent Date: Apr-15-19 14:07:44 PDT

cornfieldcomics-and-bricks:

I would have cgc regrade your book. If the top and bottom have been trimmed, why are the edges not straight? The top edge show multiple tear and chips in the top.

Your previous message

Hey there, 

See the Grader's notes attached. Book was trimmed on 2 sides- top and bottom. 

Book should arrive in the next day or two if you want more pics. 

Happy to discuss after you have had the benefit of review. Thanks.

cornfieldcomics-and-bricks:

What was restored?

Your previous message

Hey there, 

I am contacting you on this purchase because it was advertised as "Unrestored" and I am getting it back from CGC. They have given it a "Restored: Apparent" label. I don't have the book back yet; I'll be happy to send some pictures when I do, but I wanted to give you a heads up and see how you wanted to handle.

Thank you. 

Brad Seldin

On 4/15/2019 at 4:12 PM, BSeldin305 said:

And as you said, if the trimming can only be found by trained experts, then my original listing is still accurate. I am not a trained expert and the book was assessed correctly as non-restored.

It's getting bad out there. It boggles my mind that people can make such blatantly irrational comments, completely sincerely. Critical thinking is a thing of the past.

Just because he is not a "trained expert" does not therefore mean the book is non-restored. That's a loony-tunes level disconnect in logic.

It's a good demonstration that one can be sincere, and totally wrong at the same time.

46 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Can't go a day around here without a new Ebay horror story. No one should say anything about the book not being restored if they can't stand behind that claim. Reading the messages the guy is a tru im-be-cile 

It reminds me of a recent transaction I had with a long-time, nationally known dealer. I bought a very high grade 70s book in a CBCS slab. It showed up with ultra slight creasing along the bottom edge, very common for this era of books, but limits the book to the 9.0/9.2 range. Could have been graded that way, could have happened after it was slabbed. Either way...not the very high grade book I bought.

The seller said "we stand behind CGC/CBCS grading." I was like..."um...that's not what "standing behind" means." "Stand behind" means "we;ll make it right if you don't like it." What they *meant* to say was "you aren't allowed to question the grade." 

lol

If  you purchased the book on eBay and it has been 30 days or less, just start a return for "item not as described".  You can do the same with PayPal for up to 180 days. If you paid with a credit card you'll have to check with the card issuer for their return period. 

If you paid for this purchase via PP, you really don't need to argue with the seller. Just open a "return" dispute and say the book was advertised as unrestored and it came back from the grading company as restored. You will of course have to return the book to get a refund - and you will not be reimbursed your grading (CGC) costs. Just what you paid for the book. 

1 hour ago, Tony S said:

If  you purchased the book on eBay and it has been 30 days or less, just start a return for "item not as described".  You can do the same with PayPal for up to 180 days. If you paid with a credit card you'll have to check with the card issuer for their return period. 

If you paid for this purchase via PP, you really don't need to argue with the seller. Just open a "return" dispute and say the book was advertised as unrestored and it came back from the grading company as restored. You will of course have to return the book to get a refund - and you will not be reimbursed your grading (CGC) costs. Just what you paid for the book. 

It's been more than 30 days (I checked. ;) )

12 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It's getting bad out there. It boggles my mind that people can make such blatantly irrational comments, completely sincerely. Critical thinking is a thing of the past.

Just because he is not a "trained expert" does not therefore mean the book is non-restored. That's a loony-tunes level disconnect in logic.

It's a good demonstration that one can be sincere, and totally wrong at the same time.

Unless you know the seller very well, you may very well be over-estimating his sincerity. And if that's the case, he may be totally wrong and insincere about it as well.

3 hours ago, Tony S said:

I may be wrong, but in the past, I think you could start a claim for up to 180 days following payment with paypal, regardless of the funding source being either paypal balance or payment by credit card. .

8 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Unless you know the seller very well, you may very well be over-estimating his sincerity. And if that's the case, he may be totally wrong and insincere about it as well.

There's no need to know the seller at all. His sincerity is evident just in what's posted here. He's been caught; not just by the buyer, but by the only legitimate grading service, which almost certainly guarantees that he's wrong about his book. Yet he's not backed down. Either he sincerely believes what he's saying, or he sincerely believes the buyer is a complete moron who will back down in the face of his stubborn insistence that everyone else is wrong.

Either way, his sincerity is obvious. 

13 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

I may be wrong, but in the past, I think you could start a claim for up to 180 days following payment with paypal, regardless of the funding source being either paypal balance or payment by credit card. .

You are not wrong. I wasn't clear enough in my post. You can open a PP dispute for up to 180 days. Regardless of the funding source of the PP payment.  What I meant was that if the OP paid the seller directly by credit/debit card, that he would have to look into the card issuer's return period and policies.