• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay Seller cornfieldcomics-and-bricks BEWARE
3 3

427 posts in this topic

On 4/19/2019 at 5:11 PM, Catwomancomics said:

I don't blame the seller for advertising unrestored because he thought it was.  He's only human.  He made the assessment to the best of his ability.

When CGC caught the restoration, the OP contacted the seller to give him the chance to make it right. Failing to make it right is unacceptable.  Own up to it.   Make it right.

Edit:  Even if the Op thought it was restored after seeing it in hand, the seller should accept a return and make it right.

I agree completely with Catwomancomics. To err is human. To fail to respond to the facts once known is unacceptable. The buyer has rights when he/she relies on the sellers assurance. eBay and/or your credit card company will help you. Good luck.

UPDATE

Paypal denied my request for a $100 refund. 

"We have received a response from the merchant and we've also reviewed all the details of your case. Based on the merchant’s response and the information we have to date, we have to deny your case. This decision was made because we have found no evidence that the item was misrepresented."

I have appealed.   

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

UPDATE 2

Received word from Paypal today that my appeal was DENIED.  

I called, again the representative agreed with me, but this time offered the $100 back to my Paypal account to resolve.  

Again, thanks to all for your comments.

Edited by BSeldin305
Update 2

On 5/16/2019 at 1:53 PM, BSeldin305 said:

UPDATE

Paypal denied my request for a $100 refund. 

"We have received a response from the merchant and we've also reviewed all the details of your case. Based on the merchant’s response and the information we have to date, we have to deny your case. This decision was made because we have found no evidence that the item was misrepresented."

I have appealed.   

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

UPDATE 2

Received word from Paypal today that my appeal was DENIED.  

I called, again the representative agreed with me, but this time offered the $100 back to my Paypal account to resolve.  

Again, thanks to all for your comments.

Wow. That's just terrible.

Seller: "Unrestored"

Expert Grader: "Restored".

PayPal: "Seller made no misrepresentation"

Ugh! Very sorry to hear this happened to you, and that it happened at all! :whatthe:

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 12:11 PM, Catwomancomics said:

I don't blame the seller for advertising unrestored because he thought it was.  He's only human.  He made the assessment to the best of his ability.

When CGC caught the restoration, the OP contacted the seller to give him the chance to make it right. Failing to make it right is unacceptable.  Own up to it.   Make it right.

Edit:  Even if the Op thought it was restored after seeing it in hand, the seller should accept a return and make it right.

I guess that is the problem with saying "unrestored" when you really don't know? Did he run a black light on it? Measure it?

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 5:45 AM, StephenWA said:

I agree completely with Catwomancomics. To err is human. To fail to respond to the facts once known is unacceptable. The buyer has rights when he/she relies on the sellers assurance. eBay and/or your credit card company will help you. Good luck.

I agree. To err is human. If erring is what it is. Looking over Cornfield's current Silver age ebay wares, IMO, the book being discussed here isn't the only one with undisclosed trim.  :whistle:

1 hour ago, the blob said:

I guess that is the problem with saying "unrestored" when you really don't know? Did he run a black light on it? Measure it?

Measuring is too often inconclusive as sizes can vary up to 1/8th of an inch top to bottom and by as much as 1/4 of an inch side to side. Black lights may prove to be effective in 90% of cases, but again, not foolproof. Determination of trim involves in the hand study of the edges and knowing what to look for the majority of cases for most.

36 minutes ago, Pokecollectoramy said:

I purchased an "unrestored" fantastic four 6 from this seller at the end of February. It should be back from CGC in two weeks. Frankly, I'm quite worried it will come back with undisclosed trim, as well. It was purchased through eBay with a credit card and the payment does show up with "PayPal" in my statement but the payment is not in my account summary on PayPal itself. If it gets to that point, does anyone know what can be done to get a resolution? Thanks

Do you have an image of the book? If you do and can post it, I may be able to give you an indication of whether or not you too got wished into the cornfield along with the OP.

corn.jpg

Edited by James J Johnson

29 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Do you have an image of the book? If you do and can post it, I may be able to give you an indication of whether or not you too got wished into the cornfield along with the OP.

corn.jpg

sent you a pm with the ebay url, thanks for the help friend. also have a video of when i unboxed it

Edited by Pokecollectoramy

I wanted to add my side of this story to the post. The buyer contacted me 5 months after he bought the book, saying CGC has found it restored. If you look at the pics from eBay, you can see the edges are tattered not straight on the top and bottom edges. Also the book still over hangs the interior pages.  I asked the seller where the book had been for 5 months and never got a response.

The problem here is we have not seen any pictures of the book, either when it was purchased nor after it was graded.  Hard to pass judgement without concrete evidence.  How many times have we seen this scenario played out around here?  It is very possible the seller missed the trimming.  It is also possible CGC made a mistake and it could happen that the buyer had it trimmed.  Who to believe without proof?