• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay Seller cornfieldcomics-and-bricks BEWARE
3 3

427 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Peoplesjim said:

I wanted to add my side of this story to the post. The buyer contacted me 5 months after he bought the book, saying CGC has found it restored. If you look at the pics from eBay, you can see the edges are tattered not straight on the top and bottom edges. Also the book still over hangs the interior pages.  I asked the seller where the book had been for 5 months and never got a response.

5 months is nothing. There are plenty of sellers who will take a book back after a year if undisclosed restoration if found and they'll refund the grading fees. 

Here is a little perspective, this is a lot of hassle to go through over $100.

2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

No one.

mp,550x550,gloss,ffffff,t.3u2.jpg

Without all the evidence, and even then it is all perspective, this is a crapshoot to determine who is in the right here.

I have to agree with @TwoPiece

This is happening far too commonly!

The book was sent to CGC for pressing and casing.  That's what took 5 months.  You made a representation, that was false.  You then made a bunch of nonsense comments to avoid responsibility.  They are here for all to see.

Bottom line you had no idea whether the book was restored or not, but carelessly or fraudulently made a representation that was not true. 

You still have not apologized.  I received $100 back from Paypal.  More cases like mine and they will be done with you.

Like I am.   

On 6/4/2019 at 1:47 PM, aszumilo said:

The problem here is we have not seen any pictures of the book, either when it was purchased nor after it was graded.  Hard to pass judgement without concrete evidence.  How many times have we seen this scenario played out around here?  It is very possible the seller missed the trimming.  It is also possible CGC made a mistake and it could happen that the buyer had it trimmed.  Who to believe without proof?

I don't think anyone believes I would buy it for $300, trim it, send it to CGC for pressing and casing, and then request a $100 refund?  Does that make sense? No it doesn't.  PS there are pics on this forum and CBCS.  

Edited by BSeldin305

36 minutes ago, BSeldin305 said:

I don't think anyone believes I would buy it for $300, trim it, send it to CGC for pressing and casing, and then request a $100 refund?  Does that make sense? No it doesn't.  PS there are pics on this forum and CBCS.  

Not saying you trimmed it.  Just that we are only hearing (or seeing) one side of the story.  I do tend to believe your side, but, I don't want to rush to judgement until there is enough info to form my own opinion.  This scenario has been played out here before.  Sometimes it is valid, other times we have seen it flip to the other side of the story.  Again, not saying I don't believe you, just want more info.  I have not seen the pics of the book in this thread and did not know they were posted somewhere on this forum or any other.

1 hour ago, Peoplesjim said:

On the raw pic from eBay it hangs over the pages. I stand by my representation of a non restored book. 

Also why did you ask for a 100.00 partial refund? Why not ask PayPal for a full refund and send back the book?

That's an easy one. He did pay for the grading. How much is that? What was his expense? About $100 including postage both ways? So if he returns it altogether, he's not exactly back to square one, is he? Even if he gets a full refund of $300, now he doesn't have a book to show for his efforts. Only a $100 hole in his pocket. IMO, a $100 was a fair solution. There's no steadfast rule of thumb, but a $200 evaluation for restored based on $300 for unrestored on a low grade book of this caliber seems about right to balance the scale. You disagree? He didn't say, "I want a full refund of $300 plus my grading fees since the book was not as described". Which he probably knew you wouldn't agree to after stonewalling on the trim. I think the $100 solution was a fair one, all the way around.

4 hours ago, Peoplesjim said:

On the raw pic from eBay it hangs over the pages. I stand by my representation of a non restored book. 

1. The book in the slab is the same book as the book in your picture. So any claims of "switching books" is dead there.

2. The book is trimmed, as discovered by CGC. There's a 99.925% chance that eBay's assessment is correct.

3. You claimed the book was unrestored. It was not.

4. I don't know what "it" is that you're referring to in the above quote. Do you mean the cover? You have a single blurry picture; it's impossible to make such claims from that.

5. It would be absurd to imagine the buyer trimmed the book on his own...quite well, I might add...then spent the money to send it to CGC to have it graded, just to screw someone they don't know for $100. Impossible? No. Improbable to the point of absurdity? Absolutely.

6. You have a difficult time with precision. In your first post, you refer to the buyer as both the buyer AND the seller.

7. If you compare the bottom edge (the only edge that is relatively clear from your picture) to the book in the slab, you'll see that no additional material is missing from the book in the slab.

4 hours ago, Peoplesjim said:

Also why did you ask for a 100.00 partial refund? Why not ask PayPal for a full refund and send back the book?

Because then the money he spent to send it in to CGC would be wasted. Even if he cracked the book out, that money is still gone. 

Just give the guy his $100 already and be done with it. The book was trimmed; either you didn't catch it and made an honest mistake, in which case, why not just apologize and fix it, or you knew about it, and lied to get more money than you had a right to. The more you resist, the more it looks like the latter.

This is why CGC exists.

7 hours ago, Peoplesjim said:

Dear bseldin,

And as you said, if the trimming can only be found by trained experts, then my original listing is still accurate. I am not a trained expert and the book was assessed correctly as non-restored.

- cornfieldcomics-and-bricks

3 hours ago, Gaard said:

Agreed. I don't understand why the seller is acting this way.

That's another easy one. Because its too late for the buyer to give the negative feedback that this seller so richly deserves. Penny-wise, but dollar foolish, what the seller thinks is a $100 win is far offset by the negative report here of the unprofessional and disappointing manner in which he handled what should have been a very simple and fair remedy for his error of bouncing a trimmed brick off the buyer and then claiming that he (the seller) is in the right. No way to know how many potential buyers will deliberate buying an item from Cornfieldcomics-and-bricks, and google their name looking for a review beyond the ebay feedback, then find this thread here, the woeful way in which he handled this recorded here for all to review.  He's penny-wise, but dollar foolish.  That's why he's acted this way. It will cost him far more than $100 in the long run, and he'll never know just how much it did.

Some people - If it's beneficial to do the wrong thing, they'll do the wrong thing.

Others - If it's beneficial to do the wrong thing, they'll do the right thing anyway.

Edited by Gaard

I think the folks here explained it better than I could have.  I was being reasonable and you were not.  

No apology and nothing to try and make it right. 

You did make nonsensical excuse after nonsensical excuse and you are being rightly clownsuited on both the CGC and CBCS forums.    

7 minutes ago, BSeldin305 said:

I was being reasonable and you were not.    

Absolutely. You chose a sensible and equitable remedy that not only was 100% fair and balanced, but would have mitigated the entire debacle stopping it in it's tracks. You asked for a fair compromise that one would think any seller would be not only impressed with as you're the buyer, but eager and willing to do, if not only for salvaging a newly damaged reputation, and as an effort to keep you as a buyer.

So this clown Cornfield just responded on the CBCS message board:

I measured the book, used black light to check for color touch and checked the page quality for married pages. I can not control if cgc gets it wrong on trimming. There are several threads stating this as an issue. If the book had come backed color touched or married, I would fully refunded buyer. 

I don’t do partial refunds due to many buyers taking advantage of sellers. Buyer should have asked for a full refund from PayPal, but after reviewing my original pictures showing the book over hangs the interior pages and the book has tattered edges, where as a trimmed book would be straight all of the way across. 

As you can see from my feedback and pokecollectoramy book, I dot sell restored books.

So his explanation is that CGC got it wrong on 2 sides and he grades/ detects restoration better than they do!?!?!?!?!?!?

I know its just a $100 and I got it back from Paypal but I can't let this nonsense go.

14 minutes ago, BSeldin305 said:

I measured the book, used black light to check for color touch and checked the page quality for married pages. I can not control if cgc gets it wrong on trimming. There are several threads stating this as an issue. If the book had come backed color touched or married, I would fully refunded buyer. 

I don’t do partial refunds due to many buyers taking advantage of sellers. Buyer should have asked for a full refund from PayPal, but after reviewing my original pictures showing the book over hangs the interior pages and the book has tattered edges, where as a trimmed book would be straight all of the way across. 

As you can see from my feedback and pokecollectoramy book, I dot sell restored books.

So his explanation is that CGC got it wrong on 2 sides and he grades/ detects restoration better than they do!?!?!?!?!?!?

I know its just a $100 and I got it back from Paypal but I can't let this nonsense go.

Yes, it's like he can't even read. lol And he needs glasses.

He completely ignored my post. :cloud9: 

And, his story changed...again. First, it was "CGC got it wrong," which then became "the buyer trimmed the book," and now we're back to "CGC got it wrong." From his actions and words, the fact that pokecollectoramy's FF #6 wasn't restored was luck, not ability to detect restoration. If CGC "got it wrong", the seller should offer a full refund AND the cost of slabbing, and then take the issue up directly with CGC. If he doesn't want to do that, there's nothing wrong with a partial refund. 

The "partial refund scam" is an excuse used by sellers who are cheats when the facts of the matter are plainly laid out for all to see. A "partial refund scam" only works when the buyer is pretending a problem exists when it actually doesn't. That's obviously not the case here.

Listen, he's a member here...toss him on the Probation List. Not that he cares, but the more people know that he plays shenanigans, the better.

Feel free to post this on the CBCS board, BSeldin. ;)

"...several threads stating this as an issue".... lollollol

Yes, because clearly CGC gets it wrong like 50% of the time, right...? Not the .01% that it actually does.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

"Should a seller always partial refund if a book comes back different than the listing claimed eg if they sell claiming an 8.0 and it comes back a 7.0 or if unknown resto is detected and the buyer decided to pay for pressing should the seller reimburse/warranty?