• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay Seller cornfieldcomics-and-bricks BEWARE
3 3

427 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

I agree that is the crux of the argument.  Is the seller on the hook for grading and pressing cost when issuing a refund?  Is it fair for a buyer to be out money if restoration is detected?  My opinion is no just because the buyer would not issue a refund if the book came back unrestored and CGC 3.5.  The buyer should not be at risk with his initial $300 but I do believe there is some inherent risk when you send a book in to get graded and especially pressed.  You can get a big gain if the book comes back high and some risk if it comes back low (and even restored).  I think the seller offering to refund the initial $300 is sufficient and the buyer can keep the slab if it is his prerogative. 

Irrelevant-paypal has paid the pressing/slabbing fee not not at issue.

Buyer just wants the $300 back from seller.  Seller has not offered to refund $300-he is being cagey and just says 'refund' but refuses to name the amount-$300.

Why?

Just now, kav said:

Buyer just wants the $300 back from seller.  Seller has not offered to refund $300-he is being cagey and just says 'refund' but refuses to name the amount-$300.

Why?

Seller stated he would refund the total amount the buyer spent which could be just the $300 he spent on the purchase via E-Bay.  The wording is very important. 

Just now, kav said:

He also makes himself scarce when the difficult points are raised.

Why?

Sounds like he is probably getting ready for Heroes which is this weekend (starts on Thursday basically).

Just now, 1Cool said:

Seller stated he would refund the total amount the buyer spent which could be just the $300 he spent on the purchase via E-Bay.  The wording is very important. 

He refuses to word it clearly.  He refuses to state "I will refund $300 when I get the book back".  Instead hems and haws about "I will refund" without naming amount.  When buyer says 'will you refund the $300?', CRICKETS.

WHY

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I agree that is the crux of the argument.  Is the seller on the hook for grading and pressing cost when issuing a refund?  Is it fair for a buyer to be out money if restoration is detected?  My opinion is no just because the buyer would not issue a refund if the book came back unrestored and CGC 3.5.  The buyer should not be at risk with his initial $300 but I do believe there is some inherent risk when you send a book in to get graded and especially pressed.  You can get a big gain if the book comes back high and some risk if it comes back low (and even restored).  I think the seller offering to refund the initial $300 is sufficient and the buyer can keep the slab if it is his prerogative. 

But in the case of restoration detected...especially when assurance was made that there was no restoration...that's the relevant part, not the grade. If the book came back 6.0 but with restoration, the buyer still would have a claim (though unlikely to pursue it) because that assurance induced the sale. The grade is irrelevant, as grading is subjective...it's the detected restoration that's the issue. The seller has consisted argued that either A. CGC got it wrong, and he insists it's not trimmed, or B. maybe the buyer trimmed it. Both of those are very weak claims.

The book has...in theory...been improved by the buyer. The seller could be unjustly enriched by receiving back the book, even deslabbed. 

Sounds like he is probably getting ready for Heroes which is this weekend (starts on Thursday basically).

Yes it takes a whopping 10 seconds to type

"certainly I will refund the entire $300 upon receipt of book"
-thats probably it.

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

But in the case of restoration detected...especially when assurance was made that there was no restoration...that's the relevant part, not the grade. If the book came back 6.0 but with restoration, the buyer still would have a claim (though unlikely to pursue it) because that assurance induced the sale. The grade is irrelevant, as grading is subjective...it's the detected restoration that's the issue. The seller has consisted argued that either A. CGC got it wrong, and he insists it's not trimmed, or B. maybe the buyer trimmed it. Both of those are very weak claims.

The book has...in theory...been improved by the buyer. The seller could be unjustly enriched by receiving back the book, even deslabbed. 

If I go out and buy a car and take it to a dealership (and get charged $50 for the inspection) do you think the original car dealership will pay the original payment for the car and the $50 to cover the inspection if the car is shown to a lemon?  The inspection (ie grading) is done by the buyer and will be at the expense of the buyer and a good seller will take the car (book) back but only the cost paid. 

If I go out and buy a car and take it to a dealership (and get charged $50 for the inspection) do you think the original car dealership will pay the original payment for the car and the $50 to cover the inspection if the car is shown to a lemon?  The inspection (ie grading) is done by the buyer and will be at the expense of the buyer and a good seller will take the car (book) back but only the cost paid. 

Great analogy

4 minutes ago, kav said:

Yes it takes a whopping 10 seconds to type

"certainly I will refund the entire $300 upon receipt of book"
-thats probably it.

He obviously doesn't want to pay for the grading / pressing cost and I'm not sure he should be on the hook for that extra expense.

Just now, 1Cool said:

He obviously doesn't want to pay for the grading / pressing cost and I'm not sure he should be on the hook for that extra expense.

Bro are you messing with me???  

Is he on the hook for the $100 dispute?  Per the thread Paypal denied the buyer twice and it was only until he found a friendly CS rep that gave him $100 from Paypal, right?  So that would not be connected to the seller.  So if the seller could verify that the $100 did in fact come from him.

55 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

Buyer said he would return only after getting the PayPal $300, not before.

I've only ever been refunded after I returned my item, never before.

Also if @Peoplesjim and @BSeldin305 did this through eBay, and not the CGC message boards there would be a lot more security and safety netting in case anyone is trying to scam the other. I realize the window for returns has closed, but sellers can still offer returns through eBay anytime. They just can't be initiated by the buyer after the window has closed.

I had zero success dealing with him through eBay.  You can see messages on page 1.  He told me CGC was wrong and to have them re-grade the book.  

14 minutes ago, kav said:

Why?

I don't agree with your top statement.  The $100 refund was thru Paypal but by defacto a refund thru E-Bay of the book not being as represented.  Are you saying the $100 wouldn't be considered a refund via E-Bay?

19 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

This book was listed as UNRESTORED.  I will return the book, but i wanted a guarantee that he would send back $300 not $200.  I believe he was being cryptic in a effort to only send $200 and have plausible deniability.   

Homie don't play that. 

1 minute ago, BSeldin305 said:

I had zero success dealing with him through eBay.  You can see messages on page 1.  He told me CGC was wrong and to have them re-grade the book.  

Did the $100 paypal money come from Paypal??  That is unlikely based on my dealings with Paypal.

2 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

Is he on the hook for the $100 dispute?  Per the thread Paypal denied the buyer twice and it was only until he found a friendly CS rep that gave him $100 from Paypal, right?  So that would not be connected to the seller.  So if the seller could verify that the $100 did in fact come from him.

This is correct. 

I don't agree with your top statement.  The $100 refund was thru Paypal but by defacto a refund thru E-Bay of the book not being as represented.  Are you saying the $100 wouldn't be considered a refund via E-Bay?

this point is moot, buyer has not asked for it and seller has said he would refund what the buyer paid. After that it is just games.

Just now, 1Cool said:

Did the $100 paypal money come from Paypal??  That is unlikely based on my dealings with Paypal.

Yes, the $100 came from Paypal (as noted on the transactions).