eBay Seller cornfieldcomics-and-bricks BEWARE
3 3

427 posts in this topic

23,836 posts
8 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I'd appreciate it if the seller and buyer would both kick in $100 to me to defray the costs of counseling that I'm going to need after reading this entire thread.

I’m surprised the thread is still open. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48,466 posts
6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I’m surprised the thread is still open. 

I've heard things.  Things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,964 posts
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ThreeSeas said:

Me, I'd hang onto the book and not send it back, because if you did, you would most likely get what you paid, but, less $100. The seller would say you paid $300 (I think it was $300...so many pages to this thread), He may say here's $200 from me plus you got $100 from Paypal, there's your $300. Maybe this is why he will not commit to a specific dollar amount for the refund. But on the other hand, if he refunded the full $300, then what's to stop Paypal from reversing and taking back the $100 they gave you, because after all, they figured that you were refunded?

You survived your trial by fire here at CGC. I'm not sure if the seller did.

The seller will survive. eBay's a huge pond filled with sharks and ample shark food. But here's what might hurt him.

Potential buyer, eyeballing the FF 12 has half a brain, so he goes beyond the ebay feedback. Before he spends $1000+, a lot of money to him, he wants to know more, so he googles up Cornfield and finds this thread.

First thing he thinks is, "non-disclosed trim or resto, huh?" Then he reads on about to what extent the seller denied responsibility and fought the buyer every step of the way. Then he notes that not only was the buyer a lawyer, but suggested what appears to be a fair solution, one that the seller should have counted his blessings to accommodate, which again, was initially stonewalled. Then he thinks, "Well, his feedback looks OK, maybe this was an isolated case, and I really do want that FF 12, maybe I'll take a chance".

he goes back to the listing and takes a good hard look at that right edge of that FF 12. It just catches his focus, he may not even know why. He's not an expert on trim, but the book starts to look strange to him, now knowing that a buyer had a problem with non-disclosed trim on another raw key early Marvel with this seller. So he starts to compare the FF 12 to other FF 12s that are already CGC graded and the right edge on Cornfield's FF 12 looks more odd with each comparison. "You know what?", he thinks, "Why take a chance? It may be trimmed, it certainly looks different than the others, and I'm no expert. I don't want the same problem with this seller on this $1000+ book that the AS 5 buyer had with his $300 book if CGC finds trimming". He passes.

 

Edited by James J Johnson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48,466 posts
2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

The seller will survive. eBay's a huge pond filled with sharks and ample shark food. But here's what might hurt him.

Potential buyer, eyeballing the FF 12 has half a brain, so he goes beyond the ebay feedback. Before he spends $1000+, a lot of money to him, he wants to know more, so he googles up Cornfield and finds this thread.

First thing he thinks is, "non-disclosed trim or resto, huh?" Then he reads on about to what extent the seller denied responsibility and fought the buyer every step of the way. Then he notes that not only was the buyer a lawyer, but suggested what appears to be a fair solution, one that the seller should have counted his blessings to accommodate, which again, was initially stonewalled. Then he thinks, "Well, his feedback looks OK, maybe this was an isolated case, and I really do want that FF 12, maybe I'll take a chance".

he goes back to the listing and takes a good hard look at that right edge of that FF 12. It just catches his focus, he may not even know why. He's not an expert on trim, but the book starts to look strange to him, now knowing that a buyer had a problem with non-disclosed trim on another raw key early Marvel with this seller. So he starts to compare the FF 12 to other Hulk 12s that are already CGC graded and the right edge on Cornfield's FF 12 looks more odd with each comparison. "You know what?", he thinks, "Why take a chance? It may be trimmed, it certainly looks different than the others, and I'm no expert. I don't want the same problem with this seller on this $1000+ book that the AS 5 buyer had with his $300 book if CGC finds trimming". He passes.

 

Hulk 12?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,964 posts
23 minutes ago, kav said:

I've heard things.  Things.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,964 posts
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, kav said:

Hulk 12?

FF 12 (Just edited so not confusing to readers)

Edited by James J Johnson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48,466 posts
Posted (edited)

Here's how else it could hurt him.  He goes to buy a comic.  "sorry this seller has blocked you".  Huh. That's weird.  Goes to buy another book.  "Sorry this seller has blocked you".  Over the years he sees dozens and dozens of books effectively out of his grasp.

I have been blocked by exactly one seller and it has come back to haunt me maybe 20-30 times as I go to buy a book and dang its that guy again..  Cant imagine being blocked by dozens or even hundreds of sellers-

Edited by kav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23,836 posts

Eh I’ve been blocked by one person. It was a guy online that I asked to pack a GI Joe figure in a box so it wouldn’t break.  Meanwhile he packed it in an envelope anyway instead of a box and it broke.  He took the return but blocked me at least that is what he told me.  Doesn’t matter much as I would no deal with him again. 

I have a few people on block though after twenty years on eBay... some buyers and some sellers.  I keep decent records though so no matter how many names a certain someone from Pennsylvania creates he cannot shop with me unless he uses a different name and address. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48,466 posts
15 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Eh I’ve been blocked by one person. It was a guy online that I asked to pack a GI Joe figure in a box so it wouldn’t break.  Meanwhile he packed it in an envelope anyway instead of a box and it broke.  He took the return but blocked me at least that is what he told me.  Doesn’t matter much as I would no deal with him again. 

I have a few people on block though after twenty years on eBay... some buyers and some sellers.  I keep decent records though so no matter how many names a certain someone from Pennsylvania creates he cannot shop with me unless he uses a different name and address. 

I was asking about a barry smith conan book which I ended up not buying.  For this I got blocked.  Zillaf is the ebay seller.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
703 posts
21 minutes ago, kav said:

I was asking about a barry smith conan book which I ended up not buying.  For this I got blocked.  Zillaf is the ebay seller.  

How dare you ask questions and not buy! Everyone knows if you ask questions you are expected to pay for the answers buy purchasing the item you asked about! :roflmao:

Sounds like that is a seller you are better off not doing business with, unless your questions were way off base like "why is the sky blue" etc.  Which from what I have seen with the way you have posted here I highly doubt they were.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48,466 posts
Just now, Crops068 said:

How dare you ask questions and not buy! Everyone knows if you ask questions you are expected to pay for the answers buy purchasing the item you asked about! :roflmao:

Sounds like that is a seller you are better off not doing business with, unless your questions were way off base like "why is the sky blue" etc.  Which from what I have seen with the way you have posted here I highly doubt they were.

Baffling for sure.  Many of his books sold for dirt cheap that I wanted to bid on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
703 posts
Just now, kav said:

Baffling for sure.  Many of his books sold for dirt cheap that I wanted to bid on!

Hey maybe you need a proxy bidder!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,000 posts
1 hour ago, Crops068 said:

How dare you ask questions and not buy! Everyone knows if you ask questions you are expected to pay for the answers buy purchasing the item you asked about! :roflmao:

Sounds like that is a seller you are better off not doing business with, unless your questions were way off base like "why is the sky blue" etc.  Which from what I have seen with the way you have posted here I highly doubt they were.

I usually ask outlandish questions,but because of my 100% feedback as a buyer they think I'm some sort of savant,even though I clearly am not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,000 posts
1 hour ago, Crops068 said:

Hey maybe you need a proxy bidder!

I have one,but actually just for offers I offer low,my proxy bidder offers lower,and generally I'll get an impulse seller who accepts,but more than likely it's no genius play on my part,probably the seller has twenty of the same copies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
208 posts

The only people I block for asking questions are the jabronis who request me to total 13 different lots up, then give them some sort of 40% off deal like I'm running a Chuck code word special.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48,466 posts
1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

I saved this exchange in my email... it was great. 

I had bought what I thought was a complete Lego set from 1978 but it turns out it was missing pieces.  I wrote the seller upon receiving that and alerted him to that fact that the set was not complete and thus not as advertised.   At first I was annoyed after his initial response.  After his second response I said, "You know what?... block this guy and order the parts and have nothing to do with him ever again."  The gold medal is with his second response. 

 

I left him a neutral 

 

Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 9.02.28 PM.png

I once gave a guy bad feedback-he wrote a 20 page response no paragraph breaks.  I took a look at that and replied.
"I did not read more than one sentence of all that".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48,466 posts

He sent me an angry message demanding payment one day after auction.  Then, he waited 2 weeks to ship item.  I said dude you get mad at me when I dont pay in one day then wait 2 weeks to ship item???  He said I DONT GO TO THE POST OFFICE EVERY DAY!!!!! :screwy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,964 posts
1 hour ago, ChiSoxFan said:

Image result for cocaine's a helluva drug gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
3 3