• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN AMERICA COMICS #1 CGC 4.0 1941
9 9

48 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, JazzMan said:

This might be a record for the boards.  I might be wrong, but I don't recall a 6 figure sales threads.  

There have been several over the years with 2 recent examples shown.

Edited by Gotham Kid

I would buy it, but I wouldn't be happy with the off-white pages. 

Spoiler

:jokealert:

thanks to all, that have PM or commented on the thread. Have some interest and legit offer 

Wanted to add open to trades and cash, for the below books,

I would be open to trade, for the following books,  and or cash, no PLODS, or GREEN label.

AF 15 any grade, ASM 1, GSX 1, Hulk 181, Batman 1,

Hope that helps,

Bri

1 hour ago, Bunky Brian said:

thanks to all, that have PM or commented on the thread. Have some interest and legit offer 

Wanted to add open to trades and cash, for the below books,

I would be open to trade, for the following books,  and or cash, no PLODS, or GREEN label.

AF 15 any grade, ASM 1, GSX 1, Hulk 181, Batman 1,

Hope that helps,

Bri

The "negotiator" :wishluck: :grin:

4 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I find it a never ending source of amazement that this book, which came out nearly a year before Pearl Harbor, shows Cap fighting ol' tiny mustache boy. 

We knew it was just a matter of time.

Actually, the appearance of Cap 1 caused a lot of ruckus.  At that point, many Americans hadn’t decided if this Hitler guy was really bad or not, with  some actually liking the guy( and fast forward to today:  the more things change, the more they stay the same).  So when this book was published, there was a backlash from a certain segment of the population.  So much so that the mayor of New York had to provide police protection to Simon and Kirby.   It’s easy to look back now and know what a monster Hitler was, but at the time, this was groundbreaking stuff

26 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Actually, the appearance of Cap 1 caused a lot of ruckus.  At that point, many Americans hadn’t decided if this Hitler guy was really bad or not, with  some actually liking the guy( and fast forward to today:  the more things change, the more they stay the same).  So when this book was published, there was a backlash from a certain segment of the population.  So much so that the mayor of New York had to provide police protection to Simon and Kirby.   It’s easy to look back now and know what a monster Hitler was, but at the time, this was groundbreaking stuff

@GreatCaesarsGhost.  Really interesting bit of history there regarding the backlash to the Cap 1 cover. Would love to read more about that topic.  Any suggestions?

11 minutes ago, khoo75 said:

@GreatCaesarsGhost.  Really interesting bit of history there regarding the backlash to the Cap 1 cover. Would love to read more about that topic.  Any suggestions?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_America    is a good start

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 4/15/2019 at 7:25 PM, Bunky Brian said:

Greetings,

One book for today. I accept all forms of payment.

USA SHIPPING ONLY,

10 day full refund, if not happy,

References include, Bedrock, Gator, Filter, Primetime Ted, Harley, blah blah blah,

The book;

CAPTAIN AMERICA COMICS #1 CGC 4.0 1941

Asking $145,000. or trade for a Batman #1, in CGC Blue 4.0/5.0

AF 15 any grade, 

ASM 1, 

GSX 1,

Hulk 181,

Batman 1,

Hope that helps,

Bri

MAR 1941; OFF-WHITE pages. Origin and first appearance of Captain America, Bucky and the Red Skull. Cap punches Hitler himself on this iconic Jack Kirby cover. Very minor amount of glue on cover.    

cap_01_40_cgc.jpg

Would you trade it for 40 copies of the first appearance of Liefeld's Major X? :roflmao:

4 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

hm

By the time the book was published, Hitler had conquered Poland, Denmark, Norway, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, and blitzed Britain. I don't doubt that there may have been some segment of people who still liked the guy (and as you say, there is a segment that likes the guy to this day), and caused a ruckus, but at that point, I think it's pretty clear that it was no longer early 1939, and the world essentially knew where the Fuhrer stood. 

In any event, Simon, Goodman, and Kirby knew where they stood, and made it plain...still nearly a year before Pearl Harbor. 

8 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

hm

By the time the book was published, Hitler had conquered Poland, Denmark, Norway, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, and blitzed Britain. I don't doubt that there may have been some segment of people who still liked the guy (and as you say, there is a segment that likes the guy to this day), and caused a ruckus, but at that point, I think it's pretty clear that it was no longer early 1939, and the world essentially knew where the Fuhrer stood. 

In any event, Simon, Goodman, and Kirby knew where they stood, and made it plain...still nearly a year before Pearl Harbor. 

Thinking people probably did have Hitler figured out by then. But a lot of Americans buried their heads in the sand and said “not my problem”. And truly Hitler has his supporters: the lunatic fringe was then as the lunatic fringe is now. 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

5 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

hm

Yeah...and that's not even the full list of conquests up to that point...