• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Isn't Extra Stuff Included When Your Comic Book Is Slabbed ??

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm a newbie at collecting comics, only been at it for awhile and I was wondering why when you get a comic book slabbed and it's been in a factory sealed poly bag if there is something in the bag such as a trading card or poster or 3D glasses those items aren't put in the slab as well ?

I would think that not having those items included would make the comic incomplete because I've noticed when I've looked up comics some of the listings say that they originally came with these things but it seems that when the comic gets slabbed these things get left out. For me personally if the comic did come with something I'd want it in the slab as well.

What is everyone else's thought on this  ???

Lisa

What did CGC say when you asked them?

17 hours ago, Lisa B. said:

Hi,

I'm a newbie at collecting comics, only been at it for awhile and I was wondering why when you get a comic book slabbed and it's been in a factory sealed poly bag if there is something in the bag such as a trading card or poster or 3D glasses those items aren't put in the slab as well ?

I would think that not having those items included would make the comic incomplete because I've noticed when I've looked up comics some of the listings say that they originally came with these things but it seems that when the comic gets slabbed these things get left out. For me personally if the comic did come with something I'd want it in the slab as well.

What is everyone else's thought on this  ???

Lisa

They don't put it in there because it would/will damage the comic.

Unless they do. If it is stapled on the inside those things are typically included. If it is a loose item separate from the comic then it is not part of the comic, poly-bagged or not. Are your clothes part of your suitcase or do they have a better use somewhere else?

Edited by Mayor006

Comics that come with something attached to the inside (like tatooz in ASM #238 or a trading card in the centrefold or a 3-D mask somewhere inside) can be graded. These items (for the most part) were always attached to the comic. So that is why CGC does not touch them.

As for stuff that was bagged and came with a bunch of stuff (Shadow of the Bat #1 comes to mind as it was bagged with a diarama, poster, Arkham Blueprints), CGC will not put that stuff in the holder or grade the bagged comic. They won't toss the stuff in the holder because the stuff could ruin the comic (and just looks cluttered). Imagine stuffing all of this into a holder.

51117043_607355059735773_396449438318059

Madness! CGC does not grade posters, blueprints and random stuff. Where does one put this stuff in the slab? Behind the comic in a pile? That would look weird. Inside the comic out of sight? Ok then what is the point of having it to begin with? Plus, even if it was just something like a trading card, it can slide all around and won't be secure like the comic. 

CGC also will not grade the bagged comic because....how could they? If it is in a bag, they cannot confirm pages, see all the corners or even the entire comic. So they would be guessing. One may think every comic bagged is a 9.8 and that is a poor thought to have. Bagged comics get dinged, scraped and scuffed too. Especially is there is a pile of stuff stuffed into the bag.

I understand someone wanting X-Force #1 with the Deadpool card (not really though, as I hate X-Force) to have the card visible to display. My suggestion is to get the comic graded and keep the card. Then buy a nice fancy plastic card holder for the card and display them side by side. 

At the end of the day, CGC grades comics in their comic holders. Not posters, masks, tatooz, foldable toys, a stapled on bag of sea monkeys or anything else that may have come with a comic. It's fine to believe getting a comic like that means its incomplete. Tis why I have a copy or Shadow of the Bat with all the goodies in my own bag. Its not a book I would ever get graded (literally trillions out there) and I cannot think of a comic that has more value with any of the random stuff that comics come with aside from ASM #238 which, again because it is attached to the comic, they will mention it and focus on grading the comic only. Again, the comic and story are not incomplete if those are missing and that is why CGC doesn't care about polybag swag. 

Edited by comicginger1789

8 hours ago, Lisa B. said:

Thanks to everyone who replied, I see the point you were all making I guess it was just that I like to keep things complete haha :)

Lisa

Hey that's great, not knocking a completist! Just can't be done with CGC is all :) in terms of promo/polybagged stuff that came with comics is all. You can still get the book graded and display the goodies in your own way though.