• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHO IS # 1? NOT BOOK BUT GOLDEN AGE DEALER IN THE COUNTRY IYHO
3 3

65 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

and new force is right up there with him. books, not looks.  

That's who I went with when I sold my Action run.  I was very pleased with payment and service.  

22 minutes ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

MCS.

Bingo.  I'll take it a step further.  The largest inventory on Ebay, not even close.  The best website of any comic operation - not even close.  Not the only multi-generational comic business, the Reeces, Verzyls, and Andersons qualify as well and maybe one or two others I don't know about, but truly the Saunders can be called the First Family of Comics.

And with all of that, Buddy gets no props, and Conan will still personally reply to a customer complaint on these boards within 24 hours.  Remarkable.

32 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Bingo.  I'll take it a step further.  The largest inventory on Ebay, not even close.  The best website of any comic operation - not even close.  Not the only multi-generational comic business, the Reeces, Verzyls, and Andersons qualify as well and maybe one or two others I don't know about, but truly the Saunders can be called the First Family of Comics.

And with all of that, Buddy gets no props, and Conan will still personally reply to a customer complaint on these boards within 24 hours.  Remarkable.

The question asked was with respect to Golden Age comics.  I'm not very familiar with MCS but they appear to have little involvement in the high end market for GA.  Are they more substantially involved in middle/lower GA market?  Have they actively intervened as a market maker?

17 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I have to vote for gator, picked up two sweet books from him. 

batman100.jpg

starSpangled7.jpg

You really need to pm me a group shot of your great books. where do you start on your Batman's #1 and where do you start on your Tec's

7 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Dealers are important, of course.  But an even better question is who are the market makers for our commodity?  A market maker quotes both a buy and a sell price in a commodity held in inventory, hoping to make a profit on the spread.   Market makers play an indispensable role as catalysts, particularly for enhancing liquidity and therefore, for promoting long-term growth in the market.

There is only one market maker in the comic business.  This firm underpins the whole structure of the market.  They stand ready, at least theoretically, on any given day to buy all of the books for which they provide a publicly available bid price.  I wonder what that amount is - 20million, 50 million?  It isn't necessary to have all of that on hand in liquid capital, just a reserve, like fractional banking.  Which is currently set at 10% by the Fed.  I believe this firm has that amount on hand.

Yet nobody recognizes their importance as such - like ever.

Who do you think it is?

Although the part which I highlighted above in bold might fit the financial definition of a market maker, it sounds much more like a dealer if you are talking about the comic book marketplace. 

From my point of view, a market maker in the comic book marketplace is so much more than just ensuring liquidity in the marketplace and hoping to make a profit on the spread between the buy and sell.  The true market maker in the comic book marketplace is one who has the ability to raise the valuation bar for key comic books at critical points of time, and as a result, is able to move the entire comic book marketplace to higher levels over an extended period of time.  hm

No disrespect for your selection, but I sincerely do not believe that MCS "sets or creates the market" for everybody else to follow.  At least not from the true vintage comic book collectible side of the marketplace.  

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/16/2019 at 4:45 PM, ThothAmon said:
  • Gotta be Vince et al at Metro, especially for big collections and super keys.  Heritage of course is right there with them.  On eBay, where 95 percent of my buying happens I’ve purchased many books from blissard, dta collectibles, Gary Dolgoff and many others. 

I've been very  happy with what I've gotten from Blissard, but it feels like everyone follows him now and the prices on his books trend high :(

9 hours ago, woowoo said:

You really need to pm me a group shot of your great books. where do you start on your Batman's #1 and where do you start on your Tec's

My collection is not that great.  Batman's I have 1 to around 620.   Detectives I gave up on but what I have starts at 43, not even close to complete.

11 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Isn’t it interesting that not one Boardie even mentioned Hakes.  Has anyone here ever bought or sold in Hakes?

I have bought from them, almost ever auction. Mostly toys and models. I really wanted the 24x36 Butternut bread advertising signs they had in their last auction but I got that look from my wife when I told her how big they were so I quit bidding :cry:

5 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I have bought from them, almost ever auction. Mostly toys and models. I really wanted the 24x36 Butternut bread advertising signs they had in their last auction but I got that look from my wife when I told her how big they were so I quit bidding :cry:

I know the look

On 4/18/2019 at 8:20 AM, Chicago Boy said:

Bad experiences with Vince at Metro and CC  dating back to 2011.  

The first time he offered to purchase a book from me over the phone via a picture   When he received it he said he didn’t look closely enough at the picture and was turning it down  he already had it in his possession and I was out shopping and handeling so he offered to buy it at a reduced price

The second time I sold a book to him there were no issues with getting the agreed upon price but when I sold the book it was slabbed and when it went up for sale it had been cracked out if it’s slab and given a higher grade on their site  

My third and final time was the worst of all  I’ll just leave it at that   

The Recil Macon Marvel Mystery no. 7 sold in the Nic Cage auction back in 2002 as a 7.5 with staining on the back cover noted. Several years later, it was listed raw on the CConnect site at a higher grade with no back cover scan and no mention of the staining on the back cover.

I bought the Big Apple copy of Strange Mysteries no. 8 from them as a raw 9.0. I returned it because the entire back cover had a transfer stain of Chilling Tales no. 13's front cover. There had been mention of that defect in the listing and no back cover scan. Even though they accept returns, I'd rather not have my time and S&H money wasted.

Edited by jimbo_7071