• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHO IS # 1? NOT BOOK BUT GOLDEN AGE DEALER IN THE COUNTRY IYHO
3 3

65 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

The two dealers who get high marks from your's truly are Frank Cwiklik from CC/Metropolis and Bedrock City's own Richard Evans. No geeks stand taller than these two from my perspective.

:tink:(thumbsu

The other Twin Towers :boo:

57 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Isn’t it interesting that not one Boardie even mentioned Hakes.  Has anyone here ever bought or sold in Hakes?

I bought my Weird 2 from them for a very reasonable price. 

The best catalogs in the business too. I love the detail work they put into the descriptions. Less of an auction list and more of a pop-culture encyclopedia. 

I have gotten some of my best pieces from Harley, as the only American dealer who'll travel to Canada. Also Ha and CLink. When I make it to the States, Bedrock, Terry, Ted and Steve from WorldWide are great. But ppl on the boards are terrific and my collection would be much less without their participation.

18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

hm

No disrespect for your selection, but I sincerely do not believe that MCS "sets or creates the market" for everybody else to follow.  At least not from the true vintage comic book collectible side of the marketplace.  

In fact Dr. Love is spot on with his assessment. I have more people on a daily basis tell me they have had some sort of exchange with My Comic Shop than with all of the aforementioned mainstream dealers combined. I have no way of determining exactly what sort dollar totals MCS is generating but I would guess that the figure is well into eight digits.

11 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Isn’t it interesting that not one Boardie even mentioned Hakes.  Has anyone here ever bought or sold in Hakes?

I have bought and sold through for years with Hakes. Not comics though, the "other stuff" I doubt there is a person alive with more knowledge on pinbacks and premiums than Ted Hake. And a great guy to boot!

Ok there have been a lot of names put out there who are dealers, but not auctioneers. I have bought books straight up from dealers, but unlike auctions, I have a hard time knowing if I am paying FMV.  It’s psychologically different buying a book straight up in a one on one transaction. I think it takes balls to do it

2 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Ok there have been a lot of names put out there who are dealers, but not auctioneers. I have bought books straight up from dealers, but unlike auctions, I have a hard time knowing if I am paying FMV.  It’s psychologically different buying a book straight up in a one on one transaction. I think it takes balls to do it

True, also when doing a transaction with a dealer it's often a one on one experience at an LCS, con, or the old school phone/mail order. Online Auction houses are just type your bid, click, watch, and win/lose. 

On 4/19/2019 at 10:12 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I would think it would be much easier to look at a price list, decide if you like something, and buy it, than to have to put yourself in a position to have to pay more than anyone else is willing to at that time for an item. I mean I guess I could see how it would be difficult to buy something for the price listed from someone you don't know 100%, but that must mean that a trip to the grocery store, shopping mall or - god forbid - a car dealership would be truly horrifying.

Mind you, I only have a toe in the golden age, so I don't have the buying experience that a lot of you do. I probably get most of my GA here on the boards. In general, I like purchasing from the Ritters. Bunky brothers have some books on the "wanted" tab of my spreadsheet. So does dtacollectibles. I will buy from Bob Storms now and then. So I really don't have a single, best dealer. I know one or two that I will avoid, but in general, the people that we all know, and many that are new to me, are strong dealers with good reputations for good reason.

47 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I would think it would be much easier to look at a price list, decide if you like something, and buy it, than to have to put yourself in a position to have to pay more than anyone else is willing to at that time for an item. I mean I guess I could see how it would be difficult to buy something for the price listed from someone you don't know 100%, but that must mean that a trip to the grocery store, shopping mall or - god forbid - a car dealership would be truly horrifying.

Better say that with a smile on yore face pardner 

19 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Better say that with a smile on yore face pardner 

:)

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I agree. I miss the old daze when a book was up for sale for a price and you could just buy it or not. Rarely does any one "win" in an auction. Someone just pays the most. Seems other than cons, it is pretty impossible to do. Web sites are a waste of time for me. Unless you check them every day, anything cool or even approaching a deal, is sold right away.