• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone ever gotten their house tented while keeping the art inside?

8 posts in this topic

Has anyone had any experience with Vicane gas in their homes? That is what they use to treat termites when one gets there house tented. I was wondering does it damage artwork? What if it is framed? Any knowledge is appreciated. Last time I got this done I removed all the art which I may do again but I am thinking of camping outside on the front lawn with my shotgun and mean chowchow but thought about leaving the art inside. Any suggestions?

I had my house tented while i was a collector. I don’t recall what gas it was but I did take my collection with me to the hotel. I just wasn’t going to risk it. Otherwise I think the gas is harmless. 

12 hours ago, Overthetopinc said:

Has anyone had any experience with Vicane gas in their homes? That is what they use to treat termites when one gets there house tented. I was wondering does it damage artwork? What if it is framed? Any knowledge is appreciated. Last time I got this done I removed all the art which I may do again but I am thinking of camping outside on the front lawn with my shotgun and mean chowchow but thought about leaving the art inside. Any suggestions?

Those guys who tent and gas houses are professionals...nothing to worry about.

Breaking-Bad.jpg.6239adc02991d770d77d454913bae8a1.jpg

On 4/16/2019 at 6:24 PM, Overthetopinc said:

suggestions?? remove the art! why take the chance? it's poison. you must have tons of large artwork if this is really an issue worth debating for you. 

I do have some big pieces which is why I am asking. Also curious to know if they would be safe in the frames as well. Most I will move but not sure I have a place for some of the big pieces. I was hoping to hear people who had their houses tented before in the same situation. I am not looking for a debate,lol.

5 hours ago, Overthetopinc said:

I do have some big pieces which is why I am asking. Also curious to know if they would be safe in the frames as well. Most I will move but not sure I have a place for some of the big pieces. I was hoping to hear people who had their houses tented before in the same situation. I am not looking for a debate,lol.

I'm not going to be much help, but while I seriously doubt that tenting the house would damage the art, I wouldn't take the chance personally.  Also not a fan of keeping significant and expensive art on display or stacked up somewhere with strangers alone in my home (that Breaking Bad clip alone fires up the imagination).  Hassle to move everything I'm sure, but seems like the logical choice.