• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chinese seller scam ebay
1 1

33 posts in this topic

Sellers from China have been posting all kinds of fake sales on ebay in the past couple of weeks. They take pics and titles from other people's ads and use them on their own ad. Forsure there fake. I've reported many to ebay but them seem to be coming up even more the past few days. People keep buying them but I'm not sure why. The price is always around $75 with free shipping from China lol. Example below.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/X-Men-2-Vol-1-Near-Perfect-High-Grade-2nd-App-of-the-X-Men-1st-Vanisher-1963/382904191133?hash=item5926de489d:g:aUEAAOSw3bBctX2d

Yeah, these are everywhere now. Does anyone have a way to filter them out? EBay settings don't let you block individual countriesand I don't want to set my searches to US only and remove the UK, etc.

I installed a Chrome extension and had it block listings that mention China on eBay, but it only seems to work intermittently. 

I am curious how this scam would work.  You accept PayPal, but eBay locks up your money for 21 days as a new seller.  The buyer doesn't get the item, files a complaint, and the seller never gets any money?

34 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I am curious how this scam would work.  You accept PayPal, but eBay locks up your money for 21 days as a new seller.  The buyer doesn't get the item, files a complaint, and the seller never gets any money?

They (the scammers) don't really think things through over there. Kinda like the Indian phone scammers named "Brad Pitt".

Last time my best friend's dad was in China, last year, a guy laid down on the ground in front of his car. It's a common insurance scam. They're all about scamming over there recently.

I noticed in the last week or two that those Chinese scammers have started "selling" raw GA books, not just four-figure keys. An ominous trend. Or maybe just annoying.

They're at it with the moderns too... I bought some variant of Detective #1000 from some worm in Hong Kong, the estimate delivery date is the end of next month, I bought it the 16th Feb. I had a message a while back begging for positive feedback... I left negative. Can not even open a claim because of the estimate delivery date.

Annoyed at myself for having taken the bait. Only £20 but that's not the point is it. 

I have heard the Chinese try to scam Japanese people via phone texts.  The Japanese have learned to respond by texting back a cut and paste  of Mandarin characters that basically says "Let us never forget Tiananmen Square!".  Apparently  the Chinese government has automated software to search for such key words.  Your internet gets disconnected and some guys in green fatigues come by for an "interview". 

2 hours ago, Franzese10 said:

This is getting worse daily. Almost every other one now is a scam from China. I've reported so many of them but I'm switching to only north america in my search now.

Here you go guys... this took me awhile to find but it's worth it.

--Sign into your ebay account

--Go to My Ebay > Account > Site Preferences, scroll all the way down to the bottom

--Click this box

1271102249_ScreenShot2019-04-18at10_42_16AM.jpg.d03dd9cea2836b55ec89d4aaf0c53972.jpg

1 hour ago, Phicks said:

I have heard the Chinese try to scam Japanese people via phone texts.  The Japanese have learned to respond by texting back a cut and paste  of Mandarin characters that basically says "Let us never forget Tiananmen Square!".  Apparently  the Chinese government has automated software to search for such key words.  Your internet gets disconnected and some guys in green fatigues come by for an "interview". 

Maybe we should be sending this message through the ebay system to these scammers?

I bought a large batch of Dell Cisco Kid comics from a guy in Hong Kong last year and it worked out just fine.  The seller seemed pretty legit and was not new to eBay.   The books arrived quickly and in great shape.  I guess that's different from ordering from mainland China, though.  I certainly wouldn't buy from an eBayer like the ones in the pictures above.

10 minutes ago, kaculler said:

I bought a large batch of Dell Cisco Kid comics from a guy in Hong Kong last year and it worked out just fine.  The seller seemed pretty legit and was not new to eBay.   The books arrived quickly and in great shape.  I guess that's different from ordering from mainland China, though.  I certainly wouldn't buy from an eBayer like the ones in the pictures above.

Hong Kong and China are night and day different.