• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chinese seller scam ebay
1 1

33 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, jharvey said:

Just a wild guess here, but maybe they are doing it to get your personal information: name/address/phone number/email address.

Interesting.  I know my wife buys a lot of stuff for her school off Amazon, and a lot of it comes in packages from China.

There are currently hundreds of these scam sales happening on eBay right now Golden Age to Modern . They are not just limited to China , but also Hong Kong. Here is an example of one currently and the original listing they swiped the photos from. 

Screenshot_20190421-233908.png

Screenshot_20190421-233931.png

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:03 AM, kaculler said:

I bought a large batch of Dell Cisco Kid comics from a guy in Hong Kong last year and it worked out just fine.  The seller seemed pretty legit and was not new to eBay.   The books arrived quickly and in great shape.  I guess that's different from ordering from mainland China, though.  I certainly wouldn't buy from an eBayer like the ones in the pictures above.

That was most likely from me. I am a TopRated Seller shipping from Hong Kong. These scammers are really driving me crazy and there is nothing which can be done about them. I have heard that for some newer pre-order books even DC has complained to Ebay

Edited by Poka
spelling

The scam for pre-orders work like this. The scammer take over an account from Hong Kong with 25-50 feedback. Then sells pre-orders for 1/10 of normal price listing that they will ship from Hong Kong. People are stupid enough to buy. Once the shipment date comes, the scammer will provide a tracking from China. Reason being that post from Hong Kong will arrive US 7-10 days, whereas post from China will arrive US 1-2 months. At the time where buyers is able to file a claim with ebay, either seller has pulled out the money (most likely) or got a 4 months interest free paypal loan.

This is an example - seller managed to sell 200 books at $25 each (shipping included), but who really believes they can get this book for $5? 

IMG_3304.JPG

IMG_3305.JPG

These scammers are also reposting cgc graded books that other sellers have already sold. 

I remember seeing an Immortal Hulk book signed and it had sold by another seller. The scammer copied the picture and made his own listing for s BIN for a much lower price.

I contacted the original seller and they verified the sold book DID NOT ship to China.

13 hours ago, Poka said:

That was most likely from me. I am a TopRated Seller shipping from Hong Kong. These scammers are really driving me crazy and there is nothing which can be done about them. I have heard that for some newer pre-order books even DC has complained to Ebay

Yes, they were from you.  Thanks again.  Those issues cut my Cisco Kid want list from needing 16 down to needing 8.  Progress!

2 hours ago, spracknetch23 said:

I've never seen a graded book sell that low below GPA. If they were raw and not from China, it's possible they could be legit. But these are obvious scams. Whoever is buying these is betting on the 1/1 million chance that it's real. What a sad development.

Didn't even think of that unfortunate side effect. These graded scam listings that sold will be factored into GPA as recent sales and cause it to lower prices on some of these books. 😪