• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coming to America!
1 1

48 posts in this topic

Long time reader, not much of a poster. 

My family and I will be travelling to the good 'ol USofA between mid-June to mid-July.

Las Vegas, Washington, New York,  maybe Philadelphia, Boston, Buffalo, Erie ( Pennsylvania . We have friends there.)  We will be spending the fourth of July in America! (My son's birthday is the 5th!) . And finally Chicago. (I wanted Detroit, but it couldn't be included.:)

Why am I posting this?

In every city we are staying at, or visiting, I would like to visit the best comic book store in that location. In each store I'm going to buy a Silver Age, a Bronze Age and a Copper Age comic book. (Golden Age if I can find something affordable.) And post our find. (My kids are up for the challenge.)

So what are you peoples suggestions?

What are the best ones you know of? The ones you would visit in those cities.

Lets at it!

We are also driving (heaven help us!) from Boston to Buffalo, with a couple of stop overs in between. So if you know of any stops to visit where I'm going to hear banjos or fiddles , that would also be good. 

Would really like to know where the best places are to visit.

Thanks people.

1 hour ago, HeyMoe said:

My family and I will be travelling to the good 'ol USofA between mid-June to mid-July.

Las Vegas, Washington, New York,  maybe Philadelphia, Boston, Buffalo, Erie ( Pennsylvania . We have friends there.)  We will be spending the fourth of July in America! (My son's birthday is the 5th!) . And finally Chicago. (I wanted Detroit, but it couldn't be included.:)

Why am I posting this?

In every city we are staying at, or visiting, I would like to visit the best comic book store in that location. In each store I'm going to buy a Silver Age, a Bronze Age and a Copper Age comic book. (Golden Age if I can find something affordable.) And post our find. (My kids are up for the challenge.)

Lets at it!

We are also driving (heaven help us!) from Boston to Buffalo, with a couple of stop overs in between. So if you know of any stops to visit where I'm going to hear banjos or fiddles , that would also be good. 

Thanks people.

Just a heads up, we drive on the right side of the road here...

24 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

We are also driving (heaven help us!) from Boston to Buffalo

Queen City Bookstore

4.7116 Google reviews

Address: 3184 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14214
Comic book store in Buffalo, New York

Sleeping Giant
Edited by BlowUpTheMoon

Chicago is WAY better than Detroit.  There is a chain in that town called Graham Cracker Comics.    They have a location just outside the Modern Art Museum where I picked up some Silver Age books a few years ago. 

If you have time in Chicago, do the architectural river tour.  While you drink on a boat, the host talks about the buildings all around you, how Chicago grew over the years, and how  the different buildings fit together.   Stop into the Natural History museum; even without paying for entry, you will see in the foyer Sue, the world's largest T Rex.  If you go to the Technology Museum, they have an entire WWII German U Boat inside on dry land.  It's amazing.

3 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Clearly you haven't been to California.  🤩

I live in California, and yeah, on a day to day basis, we are pretty blessed.  The Beach Boys are my favorite band and I've always loved the part from the song "California Girls":

"I been all around this great big world
And I seen all kinds of girls
Yeah, but I couldn't wait to get back in the States
Back to the cutest girls in the world"

That said, I've never seen such a stunning array of beautiful women as when I go to Vegas pool parties.  It gets expensive though (the cover and drinks I mean).

For Las Vegas Stores

Torpedo Comics - large selection of SA/BA, prices are a bit high.  You have to see their Vault.

Cosmic Comics - largest store in the city, good selection - prices also a bit high

Alternate Reality - closest to the strip, not a large selection of back issues, but, some decent deals can be found there

Washington D.C.?

I don't know of any good shops there for what you are looking for, though I am sure there is someone here who would disagree with me.   You can hop on the metro in D.C. to the Wheaton stop and head on to Barbarian Books.  They have Golden - modern there though I am not sure how the prices are.   I always remembered them to be fair.

NYC:

https://www.midtowncomics.com/ - 3 locations. main store is a block from Times Square. huge selection of comics, trades & memorabilia on 2 floors

https://www.fpnyc.com/ - been around for over 35 years

http://www.carminestreetcomics.com/ - if you're walking around the West Village, and you should, check out this little hole in the wall

Enjoy!

ps - please don't feed the locals

Edited by Chazgee

2 hours ago, HeyMoe said:

Why am I posting this?

Lets at it!

Thanks people.

When you say banjoes & fiddles do you mean american country music or something else? because I can tell you some good haunts in NYC & PA for ACM

18 minutes ago, comics4all said:

When you say banjoes & fiddles do you mean american country music or something else? because I can tell you some good haunts in NYC & PA for ACM

I hope the reason he mentions banjos and fiddles isn't because the little he knows of America was gleaned from watching Deliverance on late-night TV...