• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ok... discovered an FF48 with Stan Lee's unwitnessed sig on it... how does CGC handle these?

16 posts in this topic

There is a threshhold below which a signature no longer affects the grade. I don't quite know what that is, but I assume it's around 6.0...maybe 5.0. At the 3.5 level, it doesn't affect the grade at all. SIGNATURE, mind you, not mindless scribbling all over the cover.

The trick is to ask CGC if they will put the name of the creator...which is up to the discretion of the person looking at the book...on the label. I recently subbed an X-Men #109 and #139 that were both signed by Byrne (and Austin on the #109) on the first page. The #139 said ""John Byrne" written on 1st page." The #109 said "two names written on 1st page."

It makes a HUGE difference. "Bill and Sally" doesn't carry quite the name recognition on an X-Men #109 that "John Byrne" and "Terry Austin" does.

But, it is up to the discretion of the grader, IF they recognize the sig, so it doesn't hurt to ask.