• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No Graders Notes on a 9.6
1 1

88 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

All my comics I sent to be graded that came back below a 9.8 had graders notes except one that was a  9.6. Can I infer that maybe it was a borderline 9.8 and try resubmitting it?

If these were modern comics, it's not unusual for the graders to not put any notes in at all, especially if they're 9.6 or above. When you get the book back, examine it closely to determine why it didn't get a 9.8. There's likely to be some small flaw or flaws that held the grade to a 9.6. And please keep in mind that you still did very well...  :foryou:

25 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I don't see the point in grader notes on 9.4 and higher, considering that 9.4 is "NM". An unpopular opinion, I'm sure.

If I submit a book I think is a 9.8 and it comes back a 9.6, I want to know why.  

1 hour ago, Xenosmilus said:

In this case it’s my ASM #300 and 301 (I’m the original owner thank you very much lol). There is a big price difference in price between 9.6 and 9.8’s so I wanted to know the graders notes to determine if I should get them pressed.

I would call CGC.  They may have the notes.  

I find most 9.6's that I have seem to have slight issues on the spine corners. I use a power 10 loop to look at these and if you see anything at all like a scuff or a fray that may be your culprit. Whether or not such a thing SHOULD knock it out of a 9.8 is something else altogether.

5 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I don't see the point in grader notes on 9.4 and higher, considering that 9.4 is "NM". An unpopular opinion, I'm sure.

The point for graders notes in 9.4 and above...especially for those that deal with 9.8 moderns in the $100-$200 range, for which a 9.6 is a complete and utter waste of time and money...is so that I understand why CGC arrived at a "not 9.8 grade." If there are no notes, I'm going to assume that the book was hammered by an inexperienced grader, and send it back in for review.

With a note...just a single note, mind you...I can look at the book, look at the note, and say "ehhhh, yeah, ok, I can see where they came to that conclusion" and put the matter to bed.

4 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The point for graders notes in 9.4 and above...especially for those that deal with 9.8 moderns in the $100-$200 range, for which a 9.6 is a complete and utter waste of time and money...is so that I understand why CGC arrived at a "not 9.8 grade." If there are no notes, I'm going to assume that the book was hammered by an inexperienced grader, and send it back in for review.

With a note...just a single note, mind you...I can look at the book, look at the note, and say "ehhhh, yeah, ok, I can see where they came to that conclusion" and put the matter to bed.

"An unpopular opinion, I'm sure."

You see the point. I don't. I'm not gonna hammer on CGC's subjective opinion. I find it easy to identify whatever flaw makes a book 9.4-9.8.

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

You see the point. I don't. I'm not gonna hammer on CGC's subjective opinion. I find it easy to identify whatever flaw makes a book 9.4-9.8.

But your subjective opinion about my book doesn't matter. CGC's graders' opinions do. 

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
4 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

But your subjective opinion about my book doesn't matter.

And lest you find such a statement offensive, MY opinion about my books doesn't matter, either.

28 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

...especially for those that deal with 9.8 moderns in the $100-$200 range, for which a 9.6 is a complete and utter waste of time and money...

for these type of books (where 9.6 is not worth slabbing, or at least should get pressed fist) wouldnt you do a pre-screen for 9.8, or a press-prescreen (to see if its press worthy?)

Just now, miraclemet said:

for these type of books (where 9.6 is not worth slabbing, or at least should get pressed fist) wouldnt you do a pre-screen for 9.8, or a press-prescreen (to see if its press worthy?)

You can't pre-screen Sig Series... ;)

2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

We can't provide a meaningful opinion without pictures.

I’ll try and get some photos later tonight. This isn’t too big a deal for me. Since they are my original copies I’m almost hesitant to get them pressed anyways out of nostalgia. That being said (I’m sure there are already threads in this but haven’t looked yet) CGC seems harsh on grading on ASM 301...

1 hour ago, WoWitHurts said:

I find most 9.6's that I have seem to have slight issues on the spine corners. I use a power 10 loop to look at these and if you see anything at all like a scuff or a fray that may be your culprit. Whether or not such a thing SHOULD knock it out of a 9.8 is something else altogether.

Please forgive my ignorance, but you mentioned "a power 10 loop." What is it?