• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No Graders Notes on a 9.6
1 1

88 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, SBRobin said:

If you guys were in school and received a test back with a 96/100, would you want to know what questions you got wrong? Or would you be satisfied if the teacher said "you just missed a few questions, don't worry about it?"

42 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Completely different argument you're making. Makes no sense.

I completely disagree.

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

I don't.

It's not up to us to decide how CGC grades, or for them to disclose "how" they grade. They have a Grading Scale available on the main website that you can reference for how defects add up.

If you want CGC to disclose their methods of grading, then ask Coca-Cola for their beverage formulas while you're at it. LMK how it goes...

I don't think that is a fair comparison. 

3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

You'd be wrong. School tests are (depending on course) based on objective facts. Comic grading is subjective.

For the record, I am not wrong.  Graders noted are an important part of CGC graded books.  You should educate yourself more about this subject, before taking such a strong stance on something you don't know what you are talking about.   

1 minute ago, comicdonna said:

For the record, I am not wrong.  Graders noted are an important part of CGC graded books.  You should educate yourself more about this subject, before taking such a strong stance on something you don't know what you are talking about.   

For the record, I am not wrong. Grading is subjective, and educational course tests are not. That is where the discussion begins and ends with that comparison.

Your opinion on the necessity, requirement, or desire of grader's notes is just that. If you submit a drawing to an art teacher, s/he may give you a 95%, and not say why. CGC could say, "book is off-center North 0.01 MM". Makes no difference to me. That's my opinion.

Keep in mind my comments were not for pre screened books.  That is not what the original topic of this thread is about.  It's sending in books for grading.  All books below a 9.8 got notes, except one.  

55 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Keep in mind my comments were not for pre screened books.  That is not what the original topic of this thread is about.  It's sending in books for grading.  All books below a 9.8 got notes, except one.  

My sincere apologies.

In my opinion, you actually made out very well, given the percentage of high grade books that pass through CGC. Many, many books that grade 9.6 or higher don't receive notes, since in many cases the flaws are so miniscule or common they're not generally considered noteworthy. Moreover, as evidenced by this thread, it's ridiculously easy to get sidetracked... 

I'm actually impressed that only one book didn't receive notes...:foryou:

Edited by The Lions Den

10 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Completely different argument you're making. Makes no sense.

How is it different and how does it not make sense? In both instances, you have submitted something for grading. The grader has reviewed it, returned it to you, and told you what you submitted has flaws, but not told you what those flaws are. The question is whether you want to know what those specific flaws are, or if you are satisfied with only knowing something was wrong?

9 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

You'd be wrong. School tests are (depending on course) based on objective facts. Comic grading is subjective.

I never said the test you took was objective or multiple choice. It could be a combination of objective and subjective, just like CGC grading. They have a scale they use and they make a grade determination based on that scale.  A test question could be the same. You could have a question like "What was the cause of the Civil War" and the grader bases their grade on how you have answered the question. A response of "assassination of franz ferdinand" would be completely wrong, but a response of "state's rights" could be wrong or right depending on how you supported your answer.  Would you not want to know why the teacher took off points?

It is 100% objectively incorrect to make a blanket statement that "educational tests are not subjective."

Edited by SBRobin

14 hours ago, SBRobin said:

How is it different and how does it not make sense? In both instances, you have submitted something for grading. The grader has reviewed it, returned it to you, and told you what you submitted has flaws, but not told you what those flaws are. The question is whether you want to know what those specific flaws are, or if you are satisfied with only knowing something was wrong?

I never said the test you took was objective or multiple choice. It could be a combination of objective and subjective, just like CGC grading. They have a scale they use and they make a grade determination based on that scale.  A test question could be the same. You could have a question like "What was the cause of the Civil War" and the grader bases their grade on how you have answered the question. A response of "assassination of franz ferdinand" would be completely wrong, but a response of "state's rights" could be wrong or right depending on how you supported your answer.  Would you not want to know why the teacher took off points?

It is 100% objectively incorrect to make a blanket statement that "educational tests are not subjective."

The fact that a test consists of (again, based on objective education) factual information, and that grading is subjective, maybe?

The person who introduced the comparison did. If you're going off on a tangent, then it's really unrelated.

On 4/22/2019 at 3:41 PM, SBRobin said:

If you guys were in school and received a test back with a 96/100, would you want to know what questions you got wrong? Or would you be satisfied if the teacher said "you just missed a few questions, don't worry about it?"

I would want to know exactly what I got wrong and why. And did. All the time. "Not perfect" = "not good enough."

That ought not surprise you on a graded comics message board.

On 4/23/2019 at 2:21 PM, SBRobin said:

Allow me to share an anecdote that may explain the situation from my perspective.

I went to college and got a degree in music education. I know, big whoop. One of the requirements for such a degree, however, was that you had to take private lessons for the entire time you were an undergrad. I took my private lessons, and after the first semester, my instructor gave me a "B."

I immediately went to him...not to complain about my grade, but to say "tell me what I need to do to get an A from you, and I'll do it. Whatever is required, that's what I'll do."

Totally subjective. But I made sure he knew that I was serious about getting that A, so he told me, and I did it. For the remaining time, I got nothing but A s from him.

9 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Allow me to share an anecdote that may explain the situation from my perspective.

I went to college and got a degree in music education. I know, big whoop. One of the requirements for such a degree, however, was that you had to take private lessons for the entire time you were an undergrad. I took my private lessons, and after the first semester, my instructor gave me a "B."

I immediately went to him...not to complain about my grade, but to say "tell me what I need to do to get an A from you, and I'll do it. Whatever is required, that's what I'll do."

Totally subjective. But I made sure he knew that I was serious about getting that A, so he told me, and I did it. For the remaining time, I got nothing but A s from him.

Off-topic, but, what instrument(s) do you play?