• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Polybag removal

17 posts in this topic

Hi all, first time poster and fairly new to slabbing comics. I would really appreciate some help.

I have a 2004 reprint of Amazing Spider-Man #129 that came in a Polybag with a Toy Biz figure. It's not a million dollar comic but is valuable to me so I'm getting it graded. It looks like it could possibly get a 9.8 grading. I searched the boards here and found most of my questions answered except a couple. 

So my questions are:

1. I know CGC says to remove the polybag, but I'm worried I'll somehow damage the book while removing it or when putting it in a new bag/board. Would you recommend having the pro's at CGC remove the bag for safety? Or would shipping it in the Polybag cause more damage?

2. Assuming I send it with the polybag on, CGC will put a note on the label that says "Polybag removed". In your opinion, does that hurt or help or have no effect on the book? My thoughts are that it could only help because it shows the book came straight from the original source as opposed to being handled by people when bagged and boarded and maybe bought and sold a few times. 

thanks!!!

Since you mentioned you were new to slabbing, I just wanted to warn you to not be surprised when your "looks like 9.8" book comes back as a 9.0, especially if it has been stored in a polybag. This is a hard realization that many first time submitters, including me, face on their first submission. My 4.0. GI Joe 21 is testament to that. Feel free to post high quality images of it in the Please Grade My forum if you would like some opinions before sending it in. 

I know this is an old topic but wanted to know if I should open the polybag of Ghost Rider #28 myself and submit it in case it needs to be pressed. I'm also wondering about the Lilith poster that is on the back of the book inside the polybag? Is that submitted and encapsulated with the book? Or is it trashed with the bag if I let CGC open it? Thanks

Edited by sledge1100

On 8/17/2021 at 3:36 PM, sledge1100 said:

I know this is an old topic but wanted to know if I should open the polybag of Ghost Rider #28 myself and submit it in case it needs to be pressed. I'm also wondering about the Lilith poster that is on the back of the book inside the polybag? Is that submitted and encapsulated with the book? Or is it trashed with the bag if I let CGC open it? Thanks

I do not have my books graded so I cannot give you an exact answer, I did however, find this in an old thread from a CGC Rep on the boards...

"We would need to remove the comic from the polybag in order to assess its condition and grade the book. The book will then be encapsulated and the polybag will be returned along with the encapsulated comic. (in most cases, we try our best) The polybag will not be encapsulated. We ask that you do note that the comics may be removed from the polybag for the purpose of grading on your submission form."

You can also post this question here...

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/23-ask-cgc/

On 8/17/2021 at 2:36 PM, sledge1100 said:

Anything that is not physically connected to the comic will not be slabbed with the comic, ever. If you send them a book with loose ephemera (bags, non-bound posters, COAs, etc.), they make a good-faith but absolutely not guaranteed effort to send it back to you. Although with how busy they are right now, especially, I wouldn't count on it.

Basically: Unbag all comics before sending them to CGC -- if for no other reason than because many polybagged comics require a press to remove a sealing crease. Remove any unattached associated items. Don't make CGC's job harder than it is!

Removing a book from the poly bag is a rather straightforward process. You need to be patient and use a sharp blade or scissor. Have a replacement bag and board at the ready once the book has been taken out of the poly bag.  

Before re-bagging the book look it over carefully for indents from the poly bag seal. 

Edited by joeypost

I have a related question.

I really want to remove my book from the polybag and press the book myself (because CGC will take forever if I get them to do it) before I send it in to CGC but for some comics the label makes a distinction between a "polybag" edition and regular edition. So here are my questions.

1. If I remove the polybag myself then will it get the "Poly-bag removed" text on the label or does it only stay that if CGC removes the polybag bag for me?

2. If I remove the polybag then will CGC label it so that it says Poly-bagged edition, or do they only do that if CGC removes the bag? In case of Spider-man #1 (1990) I know there is a difference between the Polybag edition and regular edition (the polybag edition doesn't have a price) but would CGC label it Poly-bagged edition if they don't open the bag themselves?

Unrelated question but does anyone know if you can tell the difference between polybag version and regular version of Web of Spiderman 90 other than the polybag?

There is not a Web Of Spider-Man 90 listed that was polybagged.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=web+of+spider-man+90&pubid=&PubRng=

Read this, bagged vs. unbagged and CGC grading are mentioned further down in the article.

https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/2021/03/23/spider-man-1-1990-newsstand-variants-versus-the-rest/

On 2/21/2022 at 7:09 AM, marvelmaniac said:

There is not a Web Of Spider-Man 90 listed that was polybagged.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=web+of+spider-man+90&pubid=&PubRng=

I have a Web of Spider-Man #90 still in a sealed Polybag. It definitely existed. But it's indistinguishable from one I have that was never polybagged (at least, as far as the cover goes, I can't say for sure what's inside).

On 2/19/2022 at 5:30 PM, Kantankerous said:

1. If I remove the polybag myself then will it get the "Poly-bag removed" text on the label or does it only stay that if CGC removes the polybag bag for me?

2. If I remove the polybag then will CGC label it so that it says Poly-bagged edition, or do they only do that if CGC removes the bag?

I'd like to know this too. I have a bunch of newsstand polybagged Spider-Man #1s I'm planning on sending into the McFarlane signing, and I'm thinking I'll remove them first (and of course add pressing), but I'd love to know for sure if there's any difference in what the label says based on whether I remove the polybag myself or if CGC does. I assume not, but I'm not sure.

On 10/26/2022 at 5:48 PM, Skwerl said:

I have a Web of Spider-Man #90 still in a sealed Polybag. It definitely existed. But it's indistinguishable from one I have that was never polybagged (at least, as far as the cover goes, I can't say for sure what's inside).

I was mistaken, I checked Overstreet and you are absolutely correct sir, there was a Polybagged Edition of Web Of Spider-Man 90. (thumbsu

thumbnail (4).jpg

On 10/26/2022 at 4:48 PM, Skwerl said:

I'd like to know this too. I have a bunch of newsstand polybagged Spider-Man #1s I'm planning on sending into the McFarlane signing, and I'm thinking I'll remove them first (and of course add pressing), but I'd love to know for sure if there's any difference in what the label says based on whether I remove the polybag myself or if CGC does. I assume not, but I'm not sure.

"Poly-bag removed" is always a generic issue note, not specific to any copy. The only question is whether CGC will properly identify the comic if there are multiple versions of the issue and not all were poly-bagged.