• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me some GA double covers

45 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Just couldn’t help yourself Richard? I’m pretty sure I would have had to do the same thing. The temptation to just open up that book would just be far to great...

I once had a factory sealed 1950’s Marx Toys Untouchables play set. A VERY rare one still stapled shut. I would look at it once in a while, tempted...I finally couldn’t take it anymore and just sold it for a wad of money.

Kind of the way I feel about graded comics and maybe the reason I have so few of them. 

Actually , it's a photo before it was slabbed, taken by the previous owner

2 minutes ago, telerites said:

Awesome.  Now for the trifecta double cover of this Brick Bradford 6 and Startling 49 :D

Not double covers but I did pick up another Brick Bradford here to have in my collection. Owned many Startling 49’s over the years. My best and last copy which would grade in the 9’s if slabbed resides with an old collecting friend and I couldn’t be happier. You see he is a collector of vintage robots and has a massive collection of them. Some of those vintage Japanese robots are so, so cool. Not so much a comics collector but I helped him obtain a large number of robot cover comics in high grade for his collection. I have thought about getting another Startling 49 but then the GF will remind of something else I need to buy....:p

7 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Not double covers but I did pick up another Brick Bradford here to have in my collection. Owned many Startling 49’s over the years. My best and last copy which would grade in the 9’s if slabbed resides with an old collecting friend and I couldn’t be happier. You see he is a collector of vintage robots and has a massive collection of them. Some of those vintage Japanese robots are so, so cool. Not so much a comics collector but I helped him obtain a large number of robot cover comics in high grade for his collection. I have thought about getting another Startling 49 but then the GF will remind of something else I need to buy....:p

I have copies of all three and truth be told and it will meet with some ridicule here, the Startling ranks third among those of my favs.  I'm torn between the HT and BB for the first spot.

29 minutes ago, telerites said:

I have copies of all three and truth be told and it will meet with some ridicule here, the Startling ranks third among those of my favs.  I'm torn between the HT and BB for the first spot.

It’s Human Torch #23 for me hands down. It’s one of the earliest GA covers I remember wanting badly after seeing it Steranko’s History of Comics. It’s funny how those small, cheap looking little b&w repo’s that appeared in either Overstreet, books on comics or dealer comic catalogues of the era impacted what I wanted as a collector so much later. I was transfixed on a past in comics that was truly alien to me but exciting nonetheless.

For anyone not in the know this is what I had to work with to get excited for a comic book cover in the 1970’s...:eyeroll:

8ECE469F-BECD-48D2-81C9-754428D3549A.thumb.jpeg.45f6a2164769cf157b235685552844b3.jpeg

You couldn’t just google or go over to Mike’s or mycomicshop or whatever to find a comic book cover back then. You got what you got by books or friends or seeing one for sale. I’m surprised I made it through that growing up...