• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR 4: LOVE AND THUNDER directed by Taika Waititi (11/5/21)
9 9

957 posts in this topic

I posted this over in the MCU Phase 4 thread, that the Love and Thunder logo looks like a bad 80's metal band/bad 80's sword & sorcery movie logo.

2104316671_thorlove.jpg.21e2454f38cf6e489c516cf9281b937d.jpg1392788307_heavymetal.jpg.993844cdc892839d3ba0bdce7a348acc.jpg482115831_heman.jpg.13ecf736a879e6983e63eb66e972d775.jpgConan_logo.png.cd46dfc76e705fcc01357e986e38f127.png

This seems like maybe a progression on a theme by Taika Waititi. Ragnarok was 80's disco/80's sci-fi flick. Love and Thunder will be mid-80's metal/sword & fantasy movie themed.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

2 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

posted this over in the MCU Phase 4 thread, that the Love and Thunder logo looks like a bad 80's metal band/bad 80's sword & sorcery movie logo

Yup. I concur.

I thought the same thing at first glance.

Although, the comic logo in the 90s was quite similar...

1077237.jpg

Edited by Ken Aldred

When Natalie Portman Agreed To Play The Mighty Thor In THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER

Among the other castings was Natalie Portman's surprise return to the Thor franchise as Jane Foster for the first time since 2013.

Her deal to return as female Thor was done in secret six months ago, but dates back much earlier. Taika Waititi was inspired to turn Jane into Thor when he was directing Thor: Ragnarok and was reading the fan-favorite comic run by Jason Aaron. 

"One of the ideas, and perhaps the biggest, was the idea of Jane," Feige says of Waititi's pitch for Thor: Love and Thunder. "We set Natalie and Taika up and in one meeting she agreed to do it."

21 minutes ago, bane said:

I thought Portman was done with MCU after Thor 2... I guess money talks!

Right?

Part of the issue was she highly recommended Patty Jenkins for the Thor 2 director role. So when there was a parting of the ways between the parties, Portman didn't appreciate how Jenkins was treated. Most probably another Marvel Creative Committee situation like Edgar Wright.

'Thor 2' Star Natalie Portman Furious Over Director Patty Jenkins' Departure (2011)

The actress is said to be deeply unhappy with Marvel over Jenkins' dismissal but is contractually obligated to stay with the project.

The success of Marvel Studios has allowed it to operate by its own rules, so perhaps it’s not surprising that its top executives neither knew nor cared that dropping Patty Jenkins as director of its Thor sequel would shock Hollywood. But perhaps the studio didn't count on shocking Natalie Portman, who is said to be deeply upset by the decision.

While the parties spun the Dec. 6 parting as an amicable split over creative differences, sources say Jenkins was fired without warning from a job that would have made her the first woman to direct a superhero tentpole. The news was out before anyone had told Portman, who had strongly urged Marvel to hire the director of 2003’s Monster (a film that won Charlize Theron her Oscar). According to sources, Portman had begun to question whether she wanted to continue acting at all right now -- possibly for several years -- because she wants to spend time with her baby boy, who was born in June. Portman was said to be re-engaged in Thor 2 because of Jenkins' involvement and especially proud that she would have played a role in opening the door for a woman to direct such a film. The Oscar winner is contractually obligated to stay with the project and Marvel is now said to be working overtime to smooth over the situation by including her in discussions about whom to hire as a replacement.

Meanwhile, insiders are telling widely divergent stories about why Marvel dropped Jenkins. A source with firsthand knowledge of the production says Marvel became concerned that Jenkins was not moving decisively enough and feared the film might miss its November 2013 release date. Exactly how Jenkins should have acted more decisively is unclear since no -script was in place. Marvel had commissioned one from Don Payne before Jenkins came onto the project in October, but the studio now wants a rewrite.

Still, the source says the company felt she showed “a lack of overall clarity in her choices,” which led to concern that the process would be “difficult.”

But an insider in Jenkins’ camp says the lack of clarity might be on Marvel’s part. This person says Jenkins was so explicit about her vision for the film that she didn’t expect to be hired in the first place. The source speculates that Marvel executives might have been won over initially by Portman’s enthusiasm for Jenkins but then, “when they started to interview writers for the rewrite . . . may have decided they really weren’t comfortable.”

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Right?

Part of the issue was she highly recommended Patty Jenkins for the Thor 2 director role. So when there was a parting of the ways between the parties, Portman didn't appreciate how Jenkins was treated. Most probably another Marvel Creative Committee situation like Edgar Wright.

Didn't know that. Worked out though, Wonder Woman was cool!

7 minutes ago, bane said:

Didn't know that. Worked out though, Wonder Woman was cool!

Exactly! So at least both Jenkins and Portman moved on from the situation, versus getting fixated.

I still think it was great when Wonder Woman was being attacked pre-release and creators like James Gunn stepped in to back the film. #Coexist

32 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

For clarification.

Mighty Thor article.png

I guess I should go read the Jason Aaron run.

For clarification? Like all the posts and pictures didn't clarify that just yet?

:nyah:

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

When Natalie Portman Agreed To Play The Mighty Thor In THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER

Among the other castings was Natalie Portman's surprise return to the Thor franchise as Jane Foster for the first time since 2013.

Her deal to return as female Thor was done in secret six months ago, but dates back much earlier. Taika Waititi was inspired to turn Jane into Thor when he was directing Thor: Ragnarok and was reading the fan-favorite comic run by Jason Aaron. 

"One of the ideas, and perhaps the biggest, was the idea of Jane," Feige says of Waititi's pitch for Thor: Love and Thunder. "We set Natalie and Taika up and in one meeting she agreed to do it."

Hey, did anyone hear about this yet? :whatthe:

Thor-Movies-Jane-Foster-God-Thunder.jpg

:insane:

1 hour ago, sagekilz said:

I don't think it's a terrible idea for a female Thor but Portman is an awful choice.

I agree with that, I think Portman is a terrible choice.  A female using the hammer in the MCU is not new, Hela in Thor 3 used to use it while she and Odin did their conquering.