• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Detective Comics 55
1 1

9 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Dormian said:

I am having a difficult time grading this one. The cover and centerfold are attached and the pages are supple. The spine looks like it chewed on by something.

detectivecomics55_fc.thumb.jpg.d9336684f0ced78acca93f08c63b1dd2.jpg

detectivecomics55_bc.jpg

detectivecomics55spine.jpg

Wasn't chewed. Doesn't look like bug or rodent damage. Pulp paper dried out over the years of attic storage that broke off little by little is what it looks like. This typically happens to sports and non-sports cards stored in a hot attic for 40, 50 years, they start to fracture and break apart to the touch. For the purposes of grading, I'd simply factor those as I would missing pieces, which they are. The cover is all there, bright and attractive, as is the back cover, margin to margin anyway, so due to the spine roll and missing pieces, I think 2.0 is the right technical grade, although on ebay, presented in a mylar, even with a full description of the defects and pictures that clearly show them, because it's a G.A. Tec and the cover very presentable, it may bring as much as a 4.0 price if a few bidders engage over it.

45 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

It's too bad that spine has so much damage. My best guess is a 2.0, but it does have a decent look to it. I could see this going lower or higher depending upon the grader...  (shrug)

2.0 is the right guess, but in the open market, it's the type of 2.0 that would bring a premium based on the greater visibility of the positive points over the negative ones. Even titled on ebay as a Good, or "lower grade", if the seller wanted to avoid a grade reference, the final result would be more akin to what a 4.0 would fetch, as the typical 2.0 looks hideously worse, with rips, tears, missing chunks, load of wear, tape, mold and mildew, etc. by comparison. It would probably slab 2.0 by CGC but even without the CVA exceptional sticker, it's overall appearance will convey that exceptional copy marker, if there is such a thing as exceptional copies this far down the grading scale.

And remember, there's a spine roll there accounting for at least another full point in grade downward. If the roll can be revised, 3.0 to 3.5 may be within reason. That could be very tricky if the spine is as brittle or fragile s it appears based on the missing pieces.

Edited by James J Johnson

2 hours ago, Point Five said:

Well said James. (thumbsu 2.0 was my first thought, mainly due to the missing spine pieces. Yeah, looks too fragile to mess with the spine at all.

Joey P might be able to. The crew at CGC might be able to. They're the best. But IMO, it could be a disaster if the paper doesn't bend to their will. An attractive book to begin with, revising the roll is more of a risk than potential reward, especially that 2.0 or 3.0; it's going to bring a 4.0 price either way.

Edited by James J Johnson