• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SS #1
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Hi, what do you think the grade would be? hm also, the fair market value- Standard or Express tier?

Had this since like '91, so all of you from back then know how low these were 9_9 Got it in a trade and haven't opened it since probably close to back then lo l or if ever opened it. Don't think it was ever opened before me either really, because i got it from the original owner. Anyway, thanks for your answers (thumbsu

20190418_103719_resizedr.jpg

Sorry, the reflection off the bag makes it hard to spot details and the pic itself doesn't seem to have enough resolution. I understand you may not want to handle a valuable book much, but a good scan of the front and back is the best way to get decent estimates of a grade.  Plus a pic of the inside (not a scan of the inside)matters too.    If u don't have a scanner, better res pics of the spine/corners would help.  It does seem like a nice copy so congrats.

the fair market value- Standard or Express tier

CGC will bump up the tier themselves if the resultant grade warrants it.

You won't get a refund if you submit it to the higher tier and it turns out to have a grade/FMV of a lesser tier.   I believe the FMV you give it when submitting is for return insurance purposes mainly (more experienced members can correct me if I'm wrong) so you have to balance out submittal fee vs return home insurance

Has the tier bumping happened to people. I had an IH181 come back 8.0 and it didn't get bumped. Or a NM98 9.8 subbed in modern tier as well. I have heard that it happens but not experienced it myself. Maybe it is only for super books.

9 minutes ago, Bird said:

Has the tier bumping happened to people. I had an IH181 come back 8.0 and it didn't get bumped. Or a NM98 9.8 subbed in modern tier as well. I have heard that it happens but not experienced it myself. Maybe it is only for super books.

I keep reading about it...but nope, never happened to me. I'm wondering how much truth there is to it, or if it's just people regurgitating what other people are regurgitating (this isn't meant to be offensive).

2 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

I keep reading about it...but nope, never happened to me. I'm wondering how much truth there is to it, or if it's just people regurgitating what other people are regurgitating (this isn't meant to be offensive).

The bump in value usually comes from the grading room, since they're the ones making the call on the condition…  (shrug)  

Yeah probably shall do standard and a press,and if they think it's higher then fine with me- means it'll be a higher grade.  Just don't want the presser to flatten it like a pancake. I'd be super happy with a 9.0, if all goes well... but probably will be a 7.0 hahah :facepalm:

3 hours ago, prturr said:

Yeah probably shall do standard and a press,and if they think it's higher then fine with me- means it'll be a higher grade.  Just don't want the presser to flatten it like a pancake. I'd be super happy with a 9.0, if all goes well... but probably will be a 7.0 hahah :facepalm:

I think that's a wise decision. Good luck!  :wishluck:

6 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Absolutely.  

Interesting. I’ve known people to submit books 5x the value of the value tier and not get bumped, and their rationale is they choose the tier that represents the amount they paid for the book...not the current value...obviously they are willing to accept the repercussions if an incident were to occur with their book, but that’s immaterial. But apparently others get bumped up for simply crossing the edge of a tier from a favorable grade. I don’t get the inconsistency...

15 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Interesting. I’ve known people to submit books 5x the value of the value tier and not get bumped, and their rationale is they choose the tier that represents the amount they paid for the book...not the current value...obviously they are willing to accept the repercussions if an incident were to occur with their book, but that’s immaterial. But apparently others get bumped up for simply crossing the edge of a tier from a favorable grade. I don’t get the inconsistency...

"The only thing that's consistent is our inconsistency..."  :preach:

Interesting. I’ve known people to submit books 5x the value of the value tier and not get bumped, and their rationale is they choose the tier that represents the amount they paid for the book...not the current value...obviously they are willing to accept the repercussions if an incident were to occur with their book, but that’s immaterial. But apparently others get bumped up for simply crossing the edge of a tier from a favorable grade. I don’t get the inconsistency

I wonder if it has to do with whether or not they use a TAT associated with the higher tier.   For ex if you submit a pre 1975 book with a declared value of $100, there's a TAT of ~60 business days.  if it turns out to be a 9.6 with a FMV of $1000 but it still took 60 business days then you didn't get the TAT associated with 'Standard' so they're not going to upcharge you.