• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who should play the next James Bond?
2 2

166 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, tv horror said:

As a Bond girl or villain maybe but Bond should always be a man either way what would you call the men? A female Bond would go with Bond boys? If I could cast a few Bond girls they would be Kellita Smith and Yvonne Strahovski they are both beautiful women.

images (1).jpg

download (1).jpg

Oh Yeah!!!

19 hours ago, Whizzer said:

I saw a suggestion online a while back that said the name James Bond is a codename in the same way that 007 is a code number and is an alias for whichever agent has that number.  This opens the role up to any male actor and I therfore suggest perhaps the coolest British actor of his generation; Idris Elba.

Yeah, this theory has been proposed by non-Bond fans to justify why Bond can be played by a different race or gender. A character can always be reinvented - if people want to do that, they should just own up to it, because this theory doesn't hold water. James Bond is not a codename. Bond is a family name, well established in the novels and films. His gender, ethnicity, general appearance and background are all solidly established. 

If Bond is a codename, why does Lazenby become Bond and then Connery come back? Why does Connery avenge Tracy's death if it was Lazenby Bond's wife? Why does Moore Bond visit Tracy's grave? Why is Bond recognized around the world by people he knew years ago if the faces keep changing? Who are Andrew Bond and Monique Delacroix? What is Skyfall? The theory makes no sense on any level.

Edited by delekkerste

My pick to succeed Craig was Richard Armitage, but, like Elba, he's no longer young enough to carry the franchise forward. I think Fassbender could pull it off admirably, but, he hasn't shown any interest in doing so. 

I'll keep an open mind on Turner (Poldark), but, a skinny pretty boy would not be my first choice for the role (same would apply to Hiddleston and other mooted candidates). Hard pass on Cillian Murphy. 

I don't see Hemsworth or Henry Cavill in the role, personally. 

Personally, I've never understood the fascination with James Bond.  While I can see the concept and character certainly holding a certain allure for people, for me the movies are mediocre to insufferably boring.  I've seen virtually all of them going back to the 1960s and I just can't understand as hard as I try.  The Craig movies are decent.  But give me John Wick or Jason Bourne any day and twice on Sundays.

6 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Jussie Smollett.  I mean the guy can get out of any sticky situation....

jussie-smollett-mugshot.jpg

Only gotta hear about the guy 26 times a day on average. Being from Chicago it never is gonna end. 

BTW a gallon of bleach is now known as a Smolletov Cocktail. Spread the word.

6 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Hard pass on Cillian Murphy

I can see why you'd say that, but I think there are strong reinventive possibilities. 

2 hours ago, FSF said:

I've seen virtually all of them going back to the 1960s and I just can't understand as hard as I try. 

Obviously you never watched From Russia with love in my opinion the greatest Bond movie. From Dr No upwards Connery was a cold blooded killer who could turn on the charm when he wanted.(worship) As for Bourne  and Wick I find them more far fetched they are more of a super weapon, a spy or agent should be able to think on his feet not use them. Believe it or not but the Mission impossible movies are more believable. Take for example the movie Ronin, DeNiro completely nailed the part of a secret agent because he was so sure of his abilities.(thumbsu   

I will leave the question of who will be the next James Bond to cast in the new next movie to the new generation. My generation had already seen the 1970s up to 1980s in my lifetime. I had seen the older movies before my time. They were great for what I think. 

That spy era like that with all the cool gadgets aren’t the same what people are used with CGI style in today’s movies. 

So, I am happy to to watch the classics again. 

As stated before, Bonds name, heritage, ethnicity, gender, etc. have all been established by his creator in the novels. Keep it faithful and bring him into the current climate. Don’t try to reinvent the character, just create an original one. Plenty of double 0 numbers left. Let 007 take a hiatus and bring us someone new and interesting. Create a 00 cinematic universe, whatever.