• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who should play the next James Bond?
2 2

166 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, FSF said:

Personally, I've never understood the fascination with James Bond.  While I can see the concept and character certainly holding a certain allure for people, for me the movies are mediocre to insufferably boring.  I've seen virtually all of them going back to the 1960s and I just can't understand as hard as I try.  The Craig movies are decent.  But give me John Wick or Jason Bourne any day and twice on Sundays.

......."When an author creates a character which eventually becomes the template for an entire genre, of course that character is going to stand above all others in the genre. By being the one that all others imitated, Superman rises above all other superheroes. James Bond was the first Cold War superspy and as such provided the blueprint for any others that have come after him. Without this prime character, the entire fictional superspy genre wouldn’t exist. Ian Fleming placed such traits as grace under fire, high intellect, adaptability, hedonism and basic sexual attractiveness and aggressiveness within Bond. The result was a character who women wanted and men wanted to be".

You know, it's very interesting that you bring up Superman.  Because it's a good analogy to compare Bond to him.  While movies like Wick or Bourne and some others like it, but not really the MI movies, are characters I would be more apt to compare to a Spider-Man or a Batman.  The Bond character, at least in film form, is always very superficial.  You really never get your hands around the character.  He's just some suave badass that in your words women love and men want to be.  The books may read better since they are books and usually provide more indepth detail but I wouldn't know.  However, the movies are so superficial and basically really drawn out for little reason in most of the movies.  You don't get much background on the criminals or Bond himself after so many movies.  Unlike Wick or Bourne where there are a lot of intricate indepth character analyses and lots of personal history between the good guy and bad guys with intricate sub-plots along the way.

The comics for Superman read exactly like Bond.  You rarely get any real insight into Superman.  He's just Superman who eventually comes to save the day.  He's a non-descript reporter who's got a corny sidekick and a girl that he fancies.  Boring!!!  Unlike Spidey and Bataman who are anti-heros and they so often delve into their thoughts, personalities, motivations, fears, angers, etc.  Give me the more intricate and involved characters any day.

1 hour ago, FSF said:

Unlike Wick or Bourne where there are a lot of intricate indepth character analyses and lots of personal history between the good guy and bad guys with intricate sub-plots along the way.

I never got round to watching the Bourne movies, but I always felt you could never quite escape the publicity or Matt Damon's mug in all the advertising. So, eventually, when the movies started to appear on TV I took the opportunity to catch up and maybe discover what I had been missing. All I can say is that I've never watched a movie before that made me physically sick. Then I realised I was suffering from motion sickness. I found the shakycam style irritating and gimmicky and the overlong action sequences completely incoherent. Surely this can't be the future of action movies, I thought? I certainly hope not.

10 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

Well now I have another thought after seeing this album cover; who should compose and/or perform the next Bond film’s theme song.

1 hour ago, mrc said:

Then I realised I was suffering from motion sickness. I found the shakycam style irritating and gimmicky and the overlong action sequences completely incoherent. Surely this can't be the future of action movies, I thought? I certainly hope not.

I can certainly see that being disorienting to some.  I guess you never watched NYPD Blue in the 1990s that did a similar thing.  It did not catch on with other shows.

[edited for a small typo]

Edited by FSF

After some reflective thought, I think Ryan Gosling would get my vote for the new Bond.  He's tall enough, unlike a Cilian Murphy who might otherwise make a good Bond, and he's at the right age where he's not too young but not too old, like a Jon Hamm who might have worked 10 years ago.

I would love to see Elba and Fassbender crush it as Double 0 agents but not 007. Both are too old. Get someone who is 30 that can carry the franchise as a 35 year old character for a decade.

As a just the occasional Bond movie viewer, it does seem to me that Idris Elba is perfectly suited for the role.

But Hollyweird seems to be on the verge of casting Robert Pattinson as Batman, so...maybe Kristen Stewart will be the new James Bond??  (shrug)

8 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

As a just the occasional Bond movie viewer, it does seem to me that Idris Elba is perfectly suited for the role.

But Hollyweird seems to be on the verge of casting Robert Pattinson as Batman, so...maybe Kristen Stewart will be the new James Bond??  (shrug)

emotion01.gif

6 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

emotion01.gif

James and the Family Bond?  They could be a sixties rock band that goes around solving mysteries in their spare time.  But they can't drive a beater van, or Scooby might sue the hell out of them for copyright infringement.

Oh dear what have we done...

I posted my idea for Bond future actors in that upcoming Bond movie topic. But I wouldn't be against Idris Elba as Bond. I haven't seen him in a bad role yet. I think the new Luther series is supposed to come out over here soon. That's a good show.

But I would think the next Bond will be a reboot and that would make Elba too old. I thought the guy from X-Men TV show Gifted with the light powers could make a good Bond too when he was in Incorporated. He's British and young too so he would be high on my list. It just depends on what they decide to do. Are they going to really focus on book Bond? Or are they going to keep picking stuff from the books and modernizing Bond? It doesn't matter to me if we get good movies.

Edited by GeneticNinja

39 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

The Next James Bond Film Is Getting Its First Black & Female 007

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2019/07/237796/black-female-bond-lashana-lynch-007?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=post

Didn't someone mention this idea?

:popcorn:

You missed the two other threads where this came up. She is not playing James/Jane Bond. Supposedly her character is assigned the code name '007' because Bond has retired. But then he comes back.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

You missed the two other threads where this came up. She is not playing James/Jane Bond. Supposedly her character is assigned the code name '007' because Bond has retired. But then he comes back.

Yes, this article says Daniel Craig is still Bond. Also, this thread there were multiple people saying it would not happen.