• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taped Word Balloons

13 posts in this topic

I’ve been looking at an art page lately (published circa 1998) that has two or three balloons taped on with what appears to be scotch tape. Aside from aesthetics, does it make sense to have this removed on a ~$300 page?

Anyone think I should I steer clear of this one completely?

Edited by MOStateSuperman

If you really like the page, and the tape doesn't distract, then the tape ought not matter. Price is only a function of whether you might sell it or not, and for less than $300, it wouldn't break the bank. On the other hand, just asking the question suggests you aren't that crazy about the piece to begin with.

Do you have photo's of the image with the tape on it you can post? Maybe it can be removed easily without damage. Just go on the internet and type in something like "how to remove scotch tape" to see what is required (eg, removal of the tape by fingernail or knife, then different ways to remove the tape residue)

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

If you really like the page, and the tape doesn't distract, then the tape ought not matter. Price is only a function of whether you might sell it or not, and for less than $300, it wouldn't break the bank. On the other hand, just asking the question suggests you aren't that crazy about the piece to begin with.

Do you have photo's of the image with the tape on it you can post? Maybe it can be removed easily without damage. Just go on the internet and type in something like "how to remove scotch tape" to see what is required (eg, removal of the tape by fingernail or knife, then different ways to remove the tape residue)

Unless it is a page of significant historical importance, and it doesn't sound like it, don't bother with a restoration unless it is a personal issue with you.  The value will not increase.  The individuality, or provenance, of the "taping" might even make the piece more attractive to some collectors!  David

Thank you both for the responses. You can see the page in question here. This is not a piece with any historical significance, just one from a favorite GL story. 

You can see tape in multiple places, and I know from other pieces that this was done on multiple pages in the storyline. It’s original, which is interesting from a process perspective, but also means it’s been there for about 21 years now.

My concern is not so much about presentation as preservation. It’s not an expensive piece, but I would hate to buy it, let the tape sit, and have irreparable damage done to a great page. It’s not something I would probably try to remove myself (unless it’s just barely hanging on), but I am interested to know what long term effects can be expected from late-‘90s scotch tape on comic art. Maybe they make it better than they used to. Tape/adhesives are not in my realm of expertise. 

6 minutes ago, MOStateSuperman said:

Thank you both for the responses. You can see the page in question here. This is not a piece with any historical significance, just one from a favorite GL story. 

You can see tape in multiple places, and I know from other pieces that this was done on multiple pages in the storyline. It’s original, which is interesting from a process perspective, but also means it’s been there for about 21 years now.

My concern is not so much about presentation as preservation. It’s not an expensive piece, but I would hate to buy it, let the tape sit, and have irreparable damage done to a great page. It’s not something I would probably try to remove myself (unless it’s just barely hanging on), but I am interested to know what long term effects can be expected from late-‘90s scotch tape on comic art. Maybe they make it better than they used to. Tape/adhesives are not in my realm of expertise. 

I would leave it alone. It looks like there may be artwork underneath.

1 hour ago, MOStateSuperman said:

It’s not something I would probably try to remove myself (

I think it is something you'd have to evaluate in person or with some better natural light closeups. If it is production tape, I'd leave it. If the tape is recently-applied Scotch tape, you can likely heat it up with a hair dryer and gently lift it. You will know right away if it is going to come up easily or is too bonded to the paper and will tear.

If you do lift it, you can use archival rubber cement to put the balloon back down. Then use a white eraser to gently rub off any excess cement or tape residue.

My amateur opinion:  It looks like the balloons were taped on in production to change the dialogue, like white-out.  I don’t mind seeing white-out or blue lines, because they’re part of a comic page’s creation and show activity by the creators. I would leave the tape on.

2 hours ago, J.Sid said:

So did you buy it?

I did. I’m 100% sure it was placed during the production process, but I decided to reach out to the group to see whether or not it was a good idea to leave it there. I know masking tape can do some real damage, but scotch/clear tape is an unknown - to me, anyway. 

On 4/20/2019 at 8:47 AM, BCarter27 said:

I think it is something you'd have to evaluate in person or with some better natural light closeups. If it is production tape, I'd leave it. If the tape is recently-applied Scotch tape, you can likely heat it up with a hair dryer and gently lift it. You will know right away if it is going to come up easily or is too bonded to the paper and will tear.

If you do lift it, you can use archival rubber cement to put the balloon back down. Then use a white eraser to gently rub off any excess cement or tape residue.

Does anyone know someone who does this thing professionally in the Los Angeles area?  I have a collectible that I want a sticker removed from.