• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sketch Commission Advice

6 posts in this topic

I recently commissioned a blank cover sketch from an artist and he’s missed his own, self-imposed, time frame twice. His most recent deadline (again self-imposed) was for the end of March and I have not heard from him for about a month now. Pre-paid, sent the blank myself, posted saying the commission list was open, not expensive (~100$). Just wondering what your experiences have been and how you deal with the inevitable commission “deadline” misses and what you’d do in a similar situation. 

15 minutes ago, Bird said:

If you paid via paypal, get your money back.

If not, not much that you can do. Maybe post on his social media feed to get some heat on him.

If at the end of this I still don’t have a piece, I would do what you’ve suggested. At this point he’s really only 2 months behind, I’m still ok with him delaying a few more times. What I really don’t want to get is a rushed piece.

ya like others said always keep in contact with the artist. To make sure you know what is up. Now if its a bigger name guy. Sure there could be variety of reasons be it they have other commissions they are also working on. To if they are currently employed by x publisher they have there paid gigs they have to take care of first. To if they have some personal things going on. Like a death in the family, just having a kid, got sick, or some times there is some folks that just take awhile to get work done.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:31 AM, thesink said:
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:13 AM, Bird said:

If you paid via paypal, get your money back.

If not, not much that you can do. Maybe post on his social media feed to get some heat on him.

If at the end of this I still don’t have a piece, I would do what you’ve suggested. At this point he’s really only 2 months behind, I’m still ok with him delaying a few more times. What I really don’t want to get is a rushed piece.

well there's a time limit on getting your money back from paypal or your credit card company.  So keep that in mind if appropriate.

You could give him a 'friendly' threat that allows him to still uphold the original agreement:

"Hi ARTIST, I understand things get busy and life often gets in the way, especially for someone who I consider to be a talented artist.  It doesn't seem like you're able to meet our agreed upon commitment at this time.  I don't want to add to any of the pressures in your life that are causing you to miss deadlines, so on Date XXX I'm going initiate a paypal refund for the fee I paid you in advance.  If you feel like initiating the refund earlier, that would be fine too.  If at some point you are able to honor your commitment to, let me know when the commission is done and I'll re-send you the money.  I remain a great fan of your work and wish you the best.  Thanks again for your time and consideration."

11 minutes ago, revat said:

"Hi ARTIST, I understand things get busy and life often gets in the way, especially for someone who I consider to be a talented artist.  It doesn't seem like you're able to meet our agreed upon commitment at this time.  I don't want to add to any of the pressures in your life that are causing you to miss deadlines, so on Date XXX I'm going initiate a paypal refund for the fee I paid you in advance.  If you feel like initiating the refund earlier, that would be fine too.  If at some point you are able to honor your commitment to, let me know when the commission is done and I'll re-send you the money.  I remain a great fan of your work and wish you the best.  Thanks again for your time and consideration."

For future use..

shutterstock_218564131.png