• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four semi-key future
1 1

37 posts in this topic

Hi.

I just wanted to canvas your thoughts and opinions on the future value of non-key early FF issues, or minor-key issues. Wihilst the trend ahead for the key-issue prices looks to be positive, with a bright future ahead, do you see this trend applying also for the non-keys? A rising tide rising all ships, as it were, or should a canny investor still (where possible) focus primarily on the key FF issues only?

Hope my query makes sense, and thanks in advance :)

1 hour ago, ninanina said:

Just a personal opinion mind you, but I consider each and every issue of Fantastic Four 1 - 20 a key. There's always someone somewhere looking for a copy in any grade.

What he said.

After you target the mega-keys like 1, 2, 4, 5, 12 and 20 and then medium-keys like 3 (which I would consider a mega anyhow) and 6, and then you start picking off some minor keys like first Watcher and Ant-Man cameo and Molecule Man's debut, you might as well grab 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 14, 15, or whatever few others remain! It's unlike any other SA run, with the possible exception of ASM (which I think it still sufficiently eclipses).  2c

As a midgrade collector, I can say average copies of the non-keys between 1-28 have shown steady growth, while 29-100 havent been this cheap in 20 years.  Before this current wave of attention, 5 and 36 were up, but FF fans were happily plugging away at their runs.  Now, there are players who will buy the run, flip the major keys, flush the rest.  First Diablo or Dragon Man dont seem to count for anything, those get flushed too :|

On 4/20/2019 at 4:06 PM, PopKulture said:

After you target the mega-keys like 1, 2, 4, 5, 12 and 20...

I’m a bit lost here, why is FF 20 considered a mega-key?

I’m also a fan of FF 25 & 26, plus the subsequent x-over issues FF 27 & 28. 

And FF 6 for the villain team-up.

4 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

I’m a bit lost here, why is FF 20 considered a mega-key?

I’m also a fan of FF 25 & 26, plus the subsequent x-over issues FF 27 & 28. 

And FF 6 for the villain team-up.

Yeah, I should've put that in the medium-key category, though the first Molecule Man has had several spells where it has been red-hot. The greater point, as per my original intent, is get ALL the FF's between 1 and 20!  (thumbsu

3 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Yeah, I should've put that in the medium-key category, though the first Molecule Man has had several spells where it has been red-hot. The greater point, as per my original intent, is get ALL the FF's between 1 and 20!  (thumbsu

agreed. Personally, I think 1-13 are really essential...all the early, 12 cent bubble price issues...

2 minutes ago, Primetime said:

agreed. Personally, I think 1-13 are really essential...all the early, 12 cent bubble price issues...

Totally agree, and I love all the 10 and 12 cent bubble issues - even the oddball western and romance books - as well some love for DC bold rectangle 10 and 12 centers as well...  :cloud9:

6 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Totally agree, and I love all the 10 and 12 cent bubble issues - even the oddball western and romance books - as well some love for DC bold rectangle 10 and 12 centers as well...  :cloud9:

True. Almost any early, 10/12 cent bubble Marvel grabs me. I do like FF 14 because it's the first "side bar" issue in the run. Marvel went to the new side bar (credited to Steve Ditko) look with all titles with a publishing date of MAY 1963 (FEB '63 real time) that branded the company. That would include ASM 2 and JIM 91 to name a few...

Edited by Primetime