• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kirby Thor #126 - Where are the pages

19 posts in this topic

I was hoping to buy a stellar Kirby battle page and have focused my attention on Thor #126 seeing as that whole issue is practically a battle between Thor and Hercules. However having checked both Heritage and Comicartfans websites it has shown just 2 pages in total. I did hear/read years ago that when Marvel gave over 2000 pages back to Jack Kirby that most of them were JIM/Thor pages and it leaves me  wondering if pages for this particular issue are readily available. Is there anybody else who has heard the same thing regarding the former and if these pages are available what sort of prices are they likely to be sold at.        

Haven't seen many pages to this issue, alas. I count two at most (I feel that Herc lifting a building showed up at some point).

Also, it's not true that when Jack got his art back "most" were JIM/Thor pages.  That list is out there if you look for it. 

I thought with so many Kirby fans out there i would have gotten more responses by now so thank you for yours. Anybody else like to chime in here. Does anybody here have any pages or know somebody who does. Does anybody know of any recorded private sales. Also told me someone posted a 'mini art guide' that was pinned to the first page was isnt there anymore. It basically had details of the top artists and what you would expect to pay for certain pages depending on the title i.e Avengers,Thor etc and page type i.e splash, battle etc etc. Regardless what do people thing a Thor v Hercules battle page from Thor #126 is likely to command.  

1 hour ago, Justin Case said:

Yes that is most likely the one. It lists Kirby Thor pages between $30-$40K. Would everyone concur with that.

It doesn’t say that at all.  Journey into Mystery and Thor are not interchangeable.  2x up or small art, inker, scene, etc. all matter. 

Justin, I would suggest you do some research (other than asking some questions here) before you commit serious money.  Waiting and understanding the differences that affect value may protect you from a poor decision.  

Ron

20 minutes ago, rsonenthal said:

It doesn’t say that at all.  Journey into Mystery and Thor are not interchangeable.  2x up or small art, inker, scene, etc. all matter. 

Justin, I would suggest you do some research (other than asking some questions here) before you commit serious money.  Waiting and understanding the differences that affect value may protect you from a poor decision.  

Ron

O.K having looked again it actually says Journey Into Mystery $30-$40K. There is no mention of Kirby 60's Thor in the list so i assumed it included early Thor(in his own title) as well. Seeing as Thor #126 is the first issue after the title changed i would assume that a lot of the pages are 2x up and most are battle pages. So what are you saying? Are you saying ONLY Kirby Journey Into Mystery pages should be valued at $30-$40K or the actual price range itself is incorrect because there are various factors to consider.       

Actually, it has Kirby Thor at $5k-$10k.  You just need to read further down the list.  But, this is a good example why the list isn't perfect (not was it meant to be).  The splash to 126 sold a year ago for $77,675.  I don't know if that has much, if any, bearing on what the following page would go for (which is not a battle page).The list you're looking at is a valiant attempt at pricing "A" pages.  That definition is, at best, complicated and subjective.  Even though there are a number of battle pages in that issue, I don't know if anyone would call every battle page "A."  In fact, I know I wouldn't.  

Said another way, it's difficult for anyone to value a page they haven't seen, just from a character.  And, I would think no one would want to steer you wrong.  I wouldn't feel good if I said $30-$40k sounds right, and you bought something that would bring substantially less if you tried to sell it.  This is all one of a kind art.  Even narrowing it down is difficult.  Twice up Thor?   Who is the inker?  Colletta?  Giacoia?  Stone?  What's going on in the page?   Has someone offered you a specific page from that issue?  Are you trying to get a valuation for that?

I think if you're prepared to spend a serious amount of money, you may want to do some more research before diving in.  

Ron

21 minutes ago, rsonenthal said:

The list you're looking at is a valiant attempt at pricing "A" pages.

There's quite a difference between "A" PANEL pages and "A" pages, keep in mind.

I really wouldn't try to distinguish between JIM and Thor.  They just dropped JIM from the logo with the numbering of the book continuing.  It's still the same comic-book and, personally, I'd be more focused on the artwork and content.  It's ALL Thor . . .

The only individual page from Thor #126 that I have seen for sale is from a 1995 Graphic Collectibles catalog (see below).  However, The Jack Kirby Collector #19, an excellent issue that featured articles by Glen David Gold on Kirby forgeries and by Tony Christopher on collecting Kirby original art, included an interesting little article entitled "A Provenance of Kirby's Art for Thor: 1/12/98," by Orlando Adiao.  I have scanned the two page article and placed it here on my ComicArtAds website.  The article lists at least 6 pages from Thor #126 that had been offered for sale as of early 1998.  It would be really interesting to try to update that listing today.  Best, Lee

Kirby_Thor126_12_GCMarch95.jpg

On 5/3/2019 at 5:44 PM, Justin Case said:

Are you saying ONLY Kirby Journey Into Mystery pages should be valued at $30-$40K or the actual price range itself is incorrect because there are various factors to consider.       

I highly doubt that A-quality Kirby JIM panel pages are $30-40K on average. I mean, OK, I bet there are certain A+ pages from the run that would fetch that much (or more), but, as a generalization, it is way too high IMO. 2c 

Edited by delekkerste

There was a JIM/Thor 125 page up on eBay a couple of months ago, featuring some nice action by Hercules. FWIW, to Gene's point, it was priced in the $3000-$3500 range and I don't think it sold. Now, maybe that was a bargain, but that's what happened.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

7 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

There was a JIM/Thor 125 page up on eBay a couple of months ago, featuring some nice action by Hercules. FWIW, to Gene's point, it was priced in the $3000-$3500 range and I don't think it sold. Now, maybe that was a bargain, but that's what happened.

JIM #125 $3499

1751316113_JIM_125_Kirby_3499.thumb.jpg.5fd1c45daaba893cdb3bee885f28acb5.jpg